Bible Study Magazine in Logos

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 21
Todd Brooks | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 29 2010 8:06 AM

This may have been asked before, but is there a reason why Bible Study Magazine is not offered in Logos, but only in dead tree format?

I'm a subscriber to the mag, but it would be beneficial to have it in Logos.  I'm very surprised that it wasn't/isn't offered to subscribers as a free Logos book that can integrate with v4.

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 8:40 AM

Todd Brooks:

This may have been asked before, but is there a reason why Bible Study Magazine is not offered in Logos, but only in dead tree format?

I'm a subscriber to the mag, but it would be beneficial to have it in Logos.  I'm very surprised that it wasn't/isn't offered to subscribers as a free Logos book that can integrate with v4.

Yes, I think it's been asked before, and I think the answer was that Logos wanted to pursue the dead tree format only. Myself, I am not a subscriber, but I might be willing to purchase a Logos4-style subscription, but only if it were offered for significantly less money than the print subscription.

Fred

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 4:32 PM

It is available on the prepub site.  Though it is not free for subscribers.

http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/6305

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 5:10 PM

Amy Leung:

It is available on the prepub site.  Though it is not free for subscribers.

http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/6305

But, that seems to be a bound, dead trees product.  And, at $39.95, it's not really a bargain, compared to the $14.95 per year cost for the regular printed subscription.  (Of course, it ~does~ have the back issues, if that's what one is looking for...)

Fred

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 6:52 PM

Oh dear, you're right!  I need to go ahead and delete my order. Tongue Tied

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 29 2010 7:45 PM

Todd Brooks:
it would be beneficial to have it in Logos

I agree Yes

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 12:18 AM

Todd Brooks:
is there a reason why Bible Study Magazine is not offered in Logos, but only in dead tree format?

I tried just now: The mags are US$14.95, but freight only has one choice: US$22.95 so I wont be buying it under that kind of overhead cost.

If its in Logos formats, at the $14.95 I might just add it to an order next time I'm putting something thru.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 6:45 AM

OK - This is in reply to my above post. I could have just deleted it, but I think there is a more important story to tell, and it makes less sense if I delete my first comment.

I have just read an older post from Bob about what Bible Study Magazine (BSM) is about, and more importantly, what it is NOT. See http://community.logos.com/forums/p/227/3086.aspx#3086

In light of that older posting, it makes little sense for it to be electronic in Logos4, and that Logos Bible Software users are not its target.

So, I retract my above comment and say that its more like something to buy in PAPER, and leave on the Notice Board or lunchroom table around the church office, than something to have inside Logos4.

(My point about the freight charges are still valid - it doubles the price - but thats because I live half a world away.)

I encourage anyone reading this thread to see what Bob's Vision of BSM is, and why its NOT a good fit to have it electronically.

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 8:05 AM

Jim Towler:

I have just read an older post from Bob about what Bible Study Magazine (BSM) is about, and more importantly, what it is NOT. See http://community.logos.com/forums/p/227/3086.aspx#3086

In light of that older posting, it makes little sense for it to be electronic in Logos4, and that Logos Bible Software users are not its target.

[...] its more like something to buy in PAPER, and leave on the Notice Board or lunchroom table around the church office, than something to have inside Logos4.I encourage anyone reading this thread to see what Bob's Vision of BSM is, and why its NOT a good fit to have it electronically.

Hi, Jim.

Yes, I did read Bob's description.  However, I still disagree with what I think you are saying.  I've looked at what "Each Issue of Bible Study Magazine Includes" and the article titles in "Previous Issues of Bible Study Magazine", both at http://www.logos.com/biblestudymagazine , and I do see a few things I'd be interesting in reading (but not enough to subscribe to a dead trees magazine or to purchase a bound volume of back issues).

Furthermore, when you say "I encourage anyone reading this thread to see what Bob's Vision of BSM is", Bob did say that the goal of the magazine was to be "approachable and interesting to the person with little understanding of the field, while still useful and interesting to the expert, too".  Well, I'm a wee bit above that lower target, even though I'm still light-years away from the higher target (and will never reach it in my lifetime), so I think I might just be a suitable reader for an electronic version of the magazine (and maybe this is true of a "few" other Logos4 users, too) (?).

[One additional point that Bob made that I do feel was a good strategy was to ~not~ make the magazine into "a paper tutorial for Bible software".]

Fred

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 8:18 AM

Fred,

I believe we are saying the same things really.

My 2nd reply was addressed to correct my first post, and why I now understand why its a good fit for paper. It was not attempting to discount the merits of having it in electronic too. At little more than a dollar an issue, it should be a no-brainer for most of us here to just tack an eSub onto next time we throw a few hundreds on some books for our collections.

I think my first post was a reaction to International freight charges making it more than double the price. My 2nd was an attempt to refocus on what Bobs vision and target for the Mag is.

There! Have I confused everyone?

I got to say, I understand a lot more now I've read a few of the older posts from the Logos team. Maybe another reminder for me to read more and speak less.

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 10:38 AM

Jim Towler:

Fred,

I believe we are saying the same things really.

OK, Jim - sorry that I misunderstood.  (Thanks for your inputs.)

Fred

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS