Starting Logos offline

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 30 2010 4:27 PM

Has anyone found a quick way of starting Logos in working-offline mode? I have to do this when I am reading on the move, for example, on a train.

I read that holding CTRL when starting the program was supposed to do this. However, when I do it still takes about 2 minutes to reach a dialogue box where I then have to click on Work Offline. This is much longer than it takes to start the program when connected to the internet.

What I could really do with is a separate shortcut that will start Logos in offline mode using a command line switch.

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 4:48 PM

If you have no internet connection, Logos will work offline automatically.

Posts 216
Dan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 9:19 PM

The issue is: how do you start up Logos without it taking 2 minutes to realize there is no internet connection when you already knew that to begin with. There should be some way to tell Logos you want to work offline w/o it taking 2 minutes to ask you after it can't find an internet connection.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 30 2010 10:41 PM

Im just going to throw something into the wind here.  What if you set use internet to no in the program settings....should get a faster boot.  I really don't know though..

Posts 26515
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 12:26 AM

William Bingham:

Im just going to throw something into the wind here.  What if you set use internet to no in the program settings....should get a faster boot.  I really don't know though..

Here 'tis for my desktop --> the time to open the Main window is best with Use Internet = NO.

With Internet Connection     NO Internet Connection

Offline    Use I'net = NO        Offline    Use I'net = NO

Check Use Internet                         1s            1s                             1s              1s

Startup Window                               2.5s         N/A                         2.5s             N/A

Main window                                   10s*         5s                           8.5s*            5s

* Working Offline takes longer because of the Startup Window and having to click the the Offline button!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 1:06 AM

William Bingham:

I tried that. It seemed to make no difference.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 1:09 AM

DanGiese:

The issue is: how do you start up Logos without it taking 2 minutes to realize there is no internet connection when you already knew that to begin with. There should be some way to tell Logos you want to work offline w/o it taking 2 minutes to ask you after it can't find an internet connection.

Spot on !

Posts 26515
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 2:35 AM

JonathanPitts:

DanGiese:

Spot on !

Here are the times on my laptop:-

NO Internet Connection

Offline    Use I'net = NO

Check Use Internet                         1.6s           1.6s

Startup Window                               4.2s           N/A

Main window                                    12s             8s

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 11:52 AM

x

Posts 26515
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 10:31 PM

JonathanPitts:

x

Does that mean you haven't learnt anything from what I've done?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 10:34 PM

JonathanPitts:

I am not sure what to say.  It did save sometime for Dave to set internet use to no.  I have checked it on my computers.  And it speeds up as well. 

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 1:16 AM

William Bingham:

JonathanPitts:

I am not sure what to say.  It did save sometime for Dave to set internet use to no.  I have checked it on my computers.  And it speeds up as well. 

Sure, it saves a few seconds if you do not use the internet. However, when the computer is not connected to the internet it still takes more than 2 minutes longer to start the program than it does with an internet connection. I presume that during this time it is checking for an internet connection. What I want is a way to tell the program that there is no internet connection and not to waste its or my time looking for one.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 2:14 AM

OK, I've made some progress.

If I press and hold SHIFT (not CTRL) after about 20 seconds I get to the login dialogue box, where I can select Work Offline. The program starts in the usual time (about 20 seconds) after that.

However, that only seems to work once. If I try it again I get a 2 minute delay and no dialogue box.

We really need a comment from someone who works for Logos and knows how this is supposed to work, or (revolutionary idea) an instruction manual.

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 4:32 AM

It's obviously not supposed to take two minutes. If you send a log (see "How to ask for help" in my signature), we might be able to help.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 6:09 AM

This is my log when connected to the internet.

1030.connected.log

This is with no internet connection.

3581.disconnected.log

Posts 26515
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 2 2010 4:00 PM

JonathanPitts:

This is my log when connected to the internet.

1030.connected.log

This is with no internet connection.

3581.disconnected.log

With no internet connection is there a difference when you have Use Internet = NO in Program Settings?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS