Kindle, Nook, iPad, HP Slate?

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 30 2010 6:45 PM

Many of you have discussed and explored different ways of implementing Logos. Perhaps some could help me out with pursuing the best option. I am interested in the best instrument to be able to access my library offline for Logos - primarily for reading books.

I desire that which is easiest on the eyes (most like a book).  I have another e-book reader on my smartphone. But with the advances in Logos I no longer have to purchase another format for mobile reading. Thanks Logos!! And thanks for anybody that can help clear up the many options that I don't have time to explore Smile

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 1495
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 2:10 AM

Easiest on your eyes? Kindle. Does it have a Logos app. No. Can it do more than read books, like run a passage guide? No.

As for the iPad. Does it have a Logos app. Yes. Can you work offline, by DLing resources. Yes. Can you run a passage guide, word study, and text comparison. Yes.

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 3:09 AM

Jonathan Sine:
And thanks for anybody that can help clear up the many options that I don't have time to explore Smile

I think the iPad ticks the most boxes for you. If you want to play it safe, wait for the 2nd generation to be produced because they are supposed to have better screens and more refinements.

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 1 2010 3:20 AM

Ditto on what has been said about the Kindle and IPad.

Slate? Who knows.  But I have seen a Nook and I think it is horrible.  The way it transitions to the next page is really bad.

Posts 11
Ron Baughman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 6 2010 3:39 PM

The new firmware version 1.5 coming out later in November is supposed to dramatically speed up page turns on the nook... along with other enhancements like book organization folders, password protection, etc.  See www.nook.com for details.

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 6 2010 6:51 PM

If you have 3G or wifi, Kindle is not too bad, but not ideal.  If you convert the logos book to pdf, (by copy and paste into Word or another program) that works even better on a Kindle.  Still Kindle is just not the best way to go.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 99
Greg B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2010 5:06 AM

Jonathan Sine:

I desire that which is easiest on the eyes (most like a book).

If this is your primary criteria, you have to go with an e-ink solution (e.g. Kindle, Nook ,Sony e-reader).  If you have a wi-fi connection readily available, you can access your library (at least those that are available online) through the browser.   Or you can convert the text you want to read using the print/export function.  I think there is a limitation on the number of pages (100?) that can be exported at a time, so you may need to break a book up.  I think most of the ereaders read pdf files, but they may not be the best for display.  I export to HTML and convert to ePUB using Calibre.  This works for texts in English, but I still haven't been able to get to render characters with diacritics (such as accent or breathing marks) which means it won't work for Greek texts (I haven't tried any Hebrew).

Greg

Posts 2718
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2010 6:03 AM

I have no difficulty reading with my iPad. You can turn down the brightness if it does bother you but it doesn't bother me a bit. You cannot read in low light with the Kindle. You would need a light. The iPad has it's own. And it works for me in light although not as well. The browser on the Kindle is annoying and not a good solution for getting online. I have not used the Nook but it doesn't look that different than the Kindle.

I do own both. The best experience for Logos between the two will be iPad hands down. If you don't care about Logos and just want an eReader, the Kindle is very good so long as you are reading in light.

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2010 10:41 AM

What about HP Slate 500? Is it available already? To imagine I would be able to have a full Logos working on a slate type device is fascinating.

Bohuslav

Posts 2941
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2010 11:23 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

What about HP Slate 500? Is it available already? To imagine I would be able to have a full Logos working on a slate type device is fascinating.

Hi, Bohuslav, still I have the same interest as you do.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2010 11:38 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

My research suggests it's still only VIRTUALLY available!  $799 when it materialises out of the ether....  Wink

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2010 2:21 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Thou shalt not covet the latest electronic miracle!  Mea culpa!  Looks great - thanks for the so tempting link!

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2010 3:46 AM

The HP Slate 500 is being introduced with Windows 7 Professional and is being touted as a device for commercial use.  It seems to me that since HP bought Palm that the next version of Slate, perhaps in 2011, will have Palm Web os.  This would make it more of a tablet designed for app friendly use and multi tasking.  Does anyone want to comment on that speculation?  I guess if all you wanted was a device to run Logos it would be fine, but I am thinking it may be friendlier for general use if you wait for the next generation.  Does Web os run beside Windows 7 or replace it?

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Anonymous | | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2010 8:02 AM

I have a Slate 500 on order and will be writing up a review once I get Logos installed and play with it a few days.

Posts 50
Robert Lombardi | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2010 9:27 PM

Logos is a processor hungry application. An Atom processor is not enough. I suspect Logos will be painfully slow.

The iPad has the advantage over Slate in this area considering that the main processing power for the Logos app is done by servers over the network, so the little processor on the iPad doesn't have to work as hard.

I personally am going to go the Kindle route since I really want something of an eReader with long battery life and e-ink display. I'll wait until iPad 2nd generation and see if the screen is improved and the weight reduced.

Posts 2718
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 9 2010 5:07 AM

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:

I have a Slate 500 on order and will be writing up a review once I get Logos installed and play with it a few days.

Wow. I look forward to reading that.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 9 2010 5:18 AM

You can use the browser on Kindle to view library.logos.com or biblia.com.

Posts 2718
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 5:40 PM

Jonathan Pitts:

You can use the browser on Kindle to view library.logos.com or biblia.com.

Yep. You can also have your liver removed to prevent from getting liver disease. That's only a little more painful that using the Kindle browser to browse web sites IMO.

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 5:55 PM

Anybody have access to a "Kno":  http://www.kno.com/

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS