Which commentary for?

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2018 5:17 AM

Denise:
Not disagreeing per se, but the more I llook at the apocrypha, pseudepigrapha, Qumran, and later (?) talmud, the more I wonder exactly what an average judean in the 1st century might believe (and therefore what might be valid background).  Even Philo seems odd.

That's a bit off-track but I would agree to say that it is difficult to gauge first-century Judaism (esp. in Palestine) based on the extant literature which could very well represent smaller groups or fringe movements. As for Philo (and Josephus), they are hybrids and expatriates. Putting the pieces together is difficult, but it makes sense that Judaism prior to the destruction of the Temple should have been fragmented since the national and religious situation was so messy and there was plenty of room for factions.  

Denise:
Regarding 'liberal' scholarship, I regard anything after Didache as liberal ... created creeds, demands for sign-up etc,  And at least at our church (super-conservative), that's ok.  And so, the liberal scholars questioning evangelical claims is a conservative behavior.

I kinda expected you to say something about this! Smile

Posts 357
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2018 11:57 PM

Awe, I just saw the whole Anchor Yale commentary for sale on a different platform now for $750... I thought I would be getting such a great deal getting it for half off here ($1000).

Overall value is also part of my consideration.

Some volumes from WBC Graham recommended also look good for what I want. Has anyone noticed this past year how often Anchor or WBC have gone on sale near these rates? I'm thinking if I could get one now on payment plan if the other shows up later in the year maybe I could snag it also.

Dead languages are my mid-life crisis

Posts 357
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2018 9:38 AM

I decided to go with Anchor + JPS Tanakh Commentary. 

Thanks for all the input everyone! 

Now to bed while the 3rd world internet takes all night to download 300 meg!

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 29 2018 10:06 AM

Almost forgot about JPS, probably because I already have the volumes I want. Not as detailed as some other series but usually more on the ball and interesting insights that escape the purview of Christian commentaries. Good pick.

Posts 357
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2018 2:10 AM

Thanks, 

yeah I'm really enjoying both commentaries already.

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS