Reading the New Testament Commentary Series - Opinions?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1513
Josh | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 22 2018 2:58 PM

Some of the commentaries for sale this month have very few reviews in Amazon (or anywhere else). The Reading the New Testament Commentary series, for example, contains a few books that I was not able to find a single review on. John Glynn's Commentary and Reference Survey lists only a handful of books from this set and none are bold-faced and most are labeled L/Cr.

Does anyone have any real experience using any of the books in this set?

Posts 1513
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 22 2018 3:40 PM

Also, the Paideia NT series seems to share some of the same interpretive approaches, especially with the contributing influence of Charles H. Talbert.

Posts 10733
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 22 2018 3:43 PM

Josh:
Does anyone have any real experience using any of the books in this set?

Charles Talbert wrote 4 of the volumes in this series, including the volume on the Johannine literature. Since I will be teaching the Fourth Gospel in a few weeks, I read the Introduction and the commentary on the Prologue. He takes an evolutionary view of the composition of the gospel, rejecting the wide-spread agreement of the Early Church that John the son of Zebedee wrote the Fourth Gospel. He likes to make statements like, "Modern scholars are virtually unanimous…," as if truth is determined by majority opinion.

In his comments on the Prologue (1:1-18), he seems more interested in describing the literary structure than in engaging the meaning of the text. Over all I would say that this volume—at least—is definitely not conservative and seems rather shallow.

In his favor, however, I will say that the discussion of the literary structure of the Prologue is interesting and could be useful.

Posts 47
Chi Shun Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 22 2018 6:48 PM

I have this series on another software program. I haven't found it very useful. The commentaries are very brief and better into can be found in other commentaries. I rarely use it. For the same amount of money, you can probably buy a better series during March Madness.

Posts 29096
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 22 2018 11:41 PM

This is a set I owned in paper format before I moved to Logos. I have found it very useful on the literary aspects which is very useful when an audience is lay ... there will always be some English majors to trip you up with questions.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS