For those that have used Logos for a while...a question

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 25 2018 12:42 PM

I constantly struggle between physical copies and Logos copies of books.  On one day, I fire up Logos and love the digital commentaries, then the next day I sit down with a physical copy of a commentary and love that much more.  It is a constant battle.

For those that have had Logos a year or longer, are you satisfied with the direction you've gone?  Do you wish you would have purchased more physical copies of books?  More Logos copies of books?

I'm just looking for some feedback.  Thanks!

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Posts 2286
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 12:46 PM

I use my desktop for study and my Fire for reading. I have gone almost exclusively digital and I am very happy about this.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 758
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 12:52 PM

After moving 2,000 miles I appreciate no longer having to pack my physical books.

Thank you, Faithlife.

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 12:53 PM

When my wife and I got married, I got to experience the problems of moving large amounts of books.  My library has grown a lot since then, so I can imagine this will be an issue again.

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Posts 10034
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 1:03 PM

Brad:

I'm just looking for some feedback.  Thanks!

I keep my special books in paper, that carry memories, tiny details, etc. Else Logos and Kindles.

Plus I find myself re-buying paper for ‘manuals’ ... home repair, cooking, sewing, etc

Posts 2033
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 1:48 PM

Digital.  All digital unless paper is the only form available.  Making the switch of habits took a year or so.  Once I switched, paper was a thing of the past.

There is one exception.  When preaching, I carry a black, leather-bound Bible.  When I have a point to make from Scripture, I want to appeal to authority and quality. When I want to say something important it might be like this: bending far over the pulpit, finger stabbing black leather,  "Brethren and Sisters, When you want truth, you can trust THIS!"   

I don't want to say that pointing to my iPad while half the people think I mean Google.

Posts 6222
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 1:55 PM

Jack Hairston:

After moving 2,000 miles I appreciate no longer having to pack my physical books.

Thank you, Faithlife.

Yes, me too! And like Denise, I’ve only kept a few thin books that contain lessons because of the sentimental value they carry.  

After that, ALL digital for me!

DAL

Posts 53
Thomas Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 2:00 PM

When I'm sitting and waiting at the doctor's office I can still reach all my books on a cell phone or ipad. When a question pops in my mind regarding an idea such as an application or principle I can search it out wherever I'm at.  The 24 access to my entire library is an awesome experience and what a time saver in sermon preparation!!!  As a Logos user since 1994 when a Logos was on just a floppy disk it has never been a disappointment.  

Posts 10482
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 2:13 PM

Brad:
For those that have had Logos a year or longer, are you satisfied with the direction you've gone?  Do you wish you would have purchased more physical copies of books? 

If I ever think I might want to return to paper—I remind myself of stacks of open books scattered around the study and pounding out sermon notes on an IBM Selectric II, where I had to change to ball to type in a Greek word—Hebrew was out of the question. Journeyed through several other applications prior to settling on Logos as the only one I needed.

Posts 2372
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 2:58 PM

Gao Lu:

There is one exception.  When preaching, I carry a black, leather-bound Bible.  When I have a point to make from Scripture, I want to appeal to authority and quality. When I want to say something important it might be like this: bending far over the pulpit, finger stabbing black leather,  "Brethren and Sisters, When you want truth, you can trust THIS!"   

Yes  When I know that I will be doing the Scripture reading I bring my Red covered KJV.  During class it's the paper class book, and tablet for Bible and my class notes on the lesson. 

Currently doing a study on the Book of Revelation. Wth Logos I have 91 books with Revelation in the title. Don't see how I would do that otherwise.

Posts 956
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 3:05 PM

I love the feel of books and for READING stretched out in a chair I dont think digital is in the same league. However life is not that siomple. We will have to downsize soon and I want to get my paper books down and into 2 moderately sized book cases so I am working hard at getting used to digital. For reference works, digital with Logos is unbeatable - as is reading in the doctors surgery or waiting around somewhere.

Posts 2372
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 3:12 PM

JohnB:

I don't think digital is in the same league. 

Digital has some advantages: Font size, brightness level, more books available with you [[carry one tablet but 1000 books within just in case you don't feel like reading the one or two paper books you could have brought]]

But the feel of turning the pages still has its advantage.  

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 3:20 PM

I made the call in 2010 to make my ministry resources all digital and I did. I still love reading a print book and I do that all the time, but they are no longer ministry resources just novels I like. If I had to do it again I would make the same call. I have been using Logos since 2006 and use the software for studying I could never have done with printed copies. 

Posts 588
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 4:59 PM

Age 81 - rarely buy a "dead tree" book - began replacing what I wanted to keep but not pack to move back in 2002 - never looked back.

Posts 3655
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 5:27 PM

Brad:
I constantly struggle between physical copies and Logos copies of books.  On one day, I fire up Logos and love the digital commentaries, then the next day I sit down with a physical copy of a commentary and love that much more.  It is a constant battle.

User since 1995... over 6k+ books in Logos now. Changed buying pattern: quality, not quantity... commentaries, mainly. 

Until a few years ago, I felt the same. I'd buy/use Logos for research, but devotional or deep dive into a book (via commentaries) were physical books. Then I learned to use Logos lite (Bible app) to do the deep dives on a Kindle Fire 10. I haven't looked back. I'm with all the others that don't want to have to invest the space. And I'm very thankful that most of my titles are in my pocket (android phone) whenever I want to consult one.

Devotional reading? Don't do that much on Logos, but if I happen to have an unexplored devo resource, I'll find an appropriate season to use it. So I don't really buy individual resources for devotional purposes.

Nor do I use Logos for secular research, though I have the Civil war library that was once available for free. Not finding that I use Logos that way. Maybe someday.

Summary answer? Figure out what I use Logos for, & focus my buying on that need. But no, I'm done buying physical books. Long live e-books. Compelling commentaries available in Logos? I'm still targeting acquisitions of commentaries--best of the good ones. Not much else. Wish I'd done that from the start.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 610
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 5:33 PM

I have been using Logos for several years and I have now gone completely paperless. I don't recall the last time I picked up a paper book to read. I love the idea of being able to carry several thousand books on a tablet. I also love logos for being able to "mine" the library I have. Learning logos is a big task in itself and I am still constantly amazed at what it can do.

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 5:45 PM

Took me some time, but I am completely digital.  The transition is rough, but worth the effort.

Posts 200
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 6:07 PM

Brad:

For those that have had Logos a year or longer, are you satisfied with the direction you've gone?  Do you wish you would have purchased more physical copies of books?  More Logos copies of books?

I've used Logos since 2.0. For research, preparing sermons, etc. it can't be beat for complex searching, analysis, copying, pasting and more. My eyes have a lot of trouble with seeing the vowels clearly printed Hebrew texts, so it's great to be able to vary font sizes. Then there are the space issues with printed books others have mentioned. I donated a lot of the printed books I have Logos, but I still have bookcases filled with printed books that I'll have to move one day. I do keep running into statements that research shows less comprehension reading digitally. If true that's worrisome.

Posts 10482
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 7:04 PM

Steve Maling:

Age 81 - rarely buy a "dead tree" book - began replacing what I wanted to keep but not pack to move back in 2002 - never looked back.

It's us young ones who lead the way into all digital—not quite 81, have a couple more months at fourscore.

Dudley C Rose:
 I do keep running into statements that research shows less comprehension reading digitally. If true that's worrisome.

I believe comprehension has more to do with the quality of one's study habits than with the medium of study.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 7:50 PM

I'm in a position where I take them where I can get them. Sometimes that means Kindle (~1000 titles), sometimes that means in print (4-5000 titles), sometimes calibre (10k+sometimes logos (15000 +/-). 35k titles is hard to keep track of. I've been working on entering all of them into goodreads, and calibre both.

Feel free to add me on goodreads.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS