Names or titles of Jesus

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
James Haak | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 26 2018 10:20 PM

I'm currently studying the Gospel of Mark and would like to find all the names or the titles by which Jesus is called in the Gospel (eg: Son of Man, Son of God, Holy One of God, etc).

Does anyone have a search that might be able to answer this question?

Posts 22208
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2018 12:16 AM

Hi James

James Haak:
I'm currently studying the Gospel of Mark and would like to find all the names or the titles by which Jesus is called in the Gospel (eg: Son of Man, Son of God, Holy One of God, etc).

Try running a search for <Person Jesus> in Mark, switching to Analysis view and then grouping by Result

If you don't know how to do any of these things please ask!

Hope this helps, Graham

Posts 5
James Haak | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2018 12:46 AM

Hi, Graham,

I've run the search and it partially answers the question, but there's a lot of double counting in that. I was hoping that there might be something like a title tag, but it appears, I'll have to do things the old fashioned way: read and count for myself.

Posts 2053
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2018 1:00 AM

James Haak:
I'll have to do things the old fashioned way: read and count for myself

If you have the "Names of God" interactive (available for separate purchase, but also part of LogosNow/FC), you can the total count quite easily, but unfortunately, I don't believe there's a reference range filter (that would be NICE!).

Posts 2053
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2018 1:13 AM

Another way to do this (and everyone has access to it) is through the "referred to as" section in the factbook.

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2018 1:32 AM

James Haak:

Hi, Graham,

I've run the search and it partially answers the question, but there's a lot of double counting in that. I was hoping that there might be something like a title tag, but it appears, I'll have to do things the old fashioned way: read and count for myself.

You can export the report to excel and then clean it up and remove the duplicates]

Posts 5
James Haak | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2018 1:35 AM

Thanks for that. At this point, that seems the best option

Posts 18034
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2018 7:37 AM

Graham Criddle:
Try running a search for <Person Jesus> in Mark, switching to Analysis view and then grouping by Result

Part of Speech used for Names is Noun so a Morph Search refinement is:

<Person Jesus> INTERSECTS @N

that can be further refined to exclude Jesus and/or Christ that leaves other references:

(<Person Jesus> INTERSECTS @N) NOT INTERSECTS (Jesus,Christ)

Edit: Noun for corpse is included in Mark 15:45 (so this search finds Names plus more).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS