Page 5 of 6 (108 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 107 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 67
Aaron Kesson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 1:18 PM

Peter Covert:

Hermeneia, Harper's Bible Commentary, Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching, and Word Biblical Commentary

Peter,

I have been looking for the Interpretation commentary for Logos and have not been able to find it.  You have it?

Grace and Peace,

-Rev. Aaron Kesson

http://www.aaronkesson.com

Posts 67
Aaron Kesson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 1:20 PM

JoanKorte:

Hi Daniel,

First person from Monroe, Michigan  that I recognize as a Libronix user!!  Great!! My husband and I live in Newport, MI.  God Bless.

More users from Michigan, great!  I"m in S.E. Michigan as well (Blissfield)

Grace and Peace,

-Rev. Aaron Kesson

http://www.aaronkesson.com

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 2:38 PM

Aaron:

Peter Covert:

Hermeneia, Harper's Bible Commentary, Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching, and Word Biblical Commentary

Peter,

I have been looking for the Interpretation commentary for Logos and have not been able to find it.  You have it?

My recollection is that Logos had this quite briefly.  I didn't get it since the only volume I really had any interest in was Boring's commentary of Revelation which I got in print.  I also seem to recall that it is now in the Folio format.  This, however is the memory of an aging nearly 39 yr old Cool so I wouldn't be too positive regarding that.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 101
JR Woods | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 5:26 PM

We need to continue to get on Zondervan's rear end about all their material!

They need to know how much influence and revenue they are missing out on by giving Logos a hard time!!

You just let me know what I can do!

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 29 2009 9:55 PM

Is it just Logos having problems to get permision for Zondervan publications to get them to the digital form, or others like WordSearch, Accordance etc. also have the same problem? Is the Zondervan policy just to keep it in Pradis and no other digital form?

Bohuslav

Posts 84
Nigel Cunningham | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 2:25 AM

I use:

New Testament:

• Baker New Testament Commentaries (Hendriksen / Kistemaker)
  • Bible Speaks Today (NT, eagerly awaiting the OT set, though my wallet isn't)
  • James Montgomery Boice commentaries (wish he'd done more)

Old Testament

Good OT commentaries are so hard to find. (I define 'good' in terms of taking a Redemptive historical, Christocentric approach).

• James Montgomery Boice commentaries (wish he'd done more)
  • Kiel & Delitsch (I'm Reformed, so generally agree)
  • Pulpit Commentary (with care)
  • Word (though I don't appreciate the text critical stuff so much)

Eagerly awaiting NICOT & NICNT and the Calvin Collection.

Posts 10714
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 2:36 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Is it just Logos having problems to get permision for Zondervan publications to get them to the digital form, or others like WordSearch, Accordance etc. also have the same problem? Is the Zondervan policy just to keep it in Pradis and no other digital form?

Bohuslav

Accordance offers a number of Zondervan resources. Perhaps this is because Accordance is a Mac only application while Pradis is only available for Windows.

Jack

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 3:19 AM

JackCaviness:

Bohuslav

Accordance offers a number of Zondervan resources. Perhaps this is because Accordance is a Mac only application while Pradis is only available for Windows.

Jack

Well, if it was possible in one case (although I understand the MAC platform possible reasons) it should be possible again, this time in Logos case. EBC and NIVAC would be worth of the effort (and money). By the way, Logos is in the MAC platform too, just for Zondervan to know Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 101
JR Woods | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 7:10 AM

HEY!!!!

I hope you all know that the New International Commentary (NIC) Series is on Pre pub right NOW!!!!

I just purchased the NICOT and the NICNT for just 999!!!!

OUTSTANDING ISNT IT?! That's thousands for just less than a thousand bucks, old and New testament both!

Better get into it before the prepub runs out! Even the academic pricing is more than that guys!! Make sure you sink your teeth into that one!

Thanks

JW

PS I like--

NIC series, Calvin's commentaries, Word Biblical Commmentary, Hermenaie (cant spell it), and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE--St Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica (I know its a systematic theology, but theres hardly a scripture he misses amongst all the topics he hits)

I have learned more about the faith from reading the Summa and Geislers systematic theology than three years of seminary education. Seminary just gave me counseling lessons and preaching outlines. 

Posts 604
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 8:37 AM

My personal preference in commentaries is:

First and foremost the Bible itself. I use a Thompson Chain Reference to help me see what the Bible itself says about its own content before I go to any commentary.

Secondly, I use the College Press Commentaries and Commentaries that were written by my college/seminary professors.

Thirdly, I use the New American Commentary and then others of differing viewpoints to aid in my understanding.

Posts 87
David Emme | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 30 2009 1:36 PM

What I am thinking is one of a couple things oof zondervan. Either Zondervan has an exclusive contract with that company or they own the software or one of their subsidaries own's that software. I would bet my bottom dollar it is one of the two preventing zondervan from marketing their stuff to other programs.

Posts 9
Peter Covert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2009 4:33 AM

Aaron:

Peter Covert:

Peter,

Yes, I do have Interpretation commentary for Logos.  I purchased it a couple of years ago, and I had a hard time finding it back then.

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2009 2:01 PM

For those of us, who follow The Revised Common Lectionary, the three volume Lectionary Commentary by R. E. Van Harn is exceptionally good.

Posts 2748
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2009 2:28 AM

Here is my list of commentaries I probably use the most.

• Pillar New Testament, Baker Exegetical Commentary of the NT, NAC, NIGTC,Exegetical Summaries
  • MacArthur's New Testament Commentary, BST series,Baker NT, Witherington's Socio-Rhetorical commentary
  • WBC,  and  UBS Handbook series,  JPS Commentaries,The works of M. S. Mills, James Montgomery Boice commentaries

Sir T

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 101
JR Woods | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2009 8:06 AM

NICOT and NICNT are on prepub right now for 999!

I love the calvin commentaries. One of my favorites to read, gotem in my library.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2009 8:43 AM

JustinWoods:

NICOT and NICNT are on prepub right now for 999!

I love the calvin commentaries. One of my favorites to read, gotem in my library.

Calvin was a marvelous expositor for his day.  He was one of the earlier to use the original languages.  He also was quite knowledgeable with regard to patristics.  Calvin, however, suffers from a disease which afflicts all of us.  He's getting old.  Our knowledge of the language has improved over the years.  Not only this, but our knowledge of history has improved as well.  In large part Calvin, and any of the old expositors, should be consulted for a historical view of the understanding of a passage.  Frequently he will still be dead on, but don't count on it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 46
Dale Durnell, Retired | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2009 9:35 AM

I regularly use the Interpretation Series from WKJ, the Preacher's Commentary (originally from Word Publishing and now Thomas Nelson), for weekly preaching, teaching, and devotional work.

If I want to get into some really serious exegesis I'll turn to the Word Biblical Commentary and the Anchor Yale Bible for study across the spectrum; the JPS commentaries for their perspective on the Hebrew Scriptures, and the Ancient Christian Commentary for reference work.

And, while I have several others in my repertoire, these are the ones I use most, and regularly.

Blessings,

Dale

Blessings,

Dale Durnell

Coming to you from Henryetta Oklahoma (45 miles south of Tulsa, and 85 miles east of OKC)

Posts 1
Roy Hamlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2009 10:07 PM

I find Baker Exegetical Commentary, The Daily Bible Study by William Barclay, and The Bible Knowledge Commentary are essentials for my study. I find also works of Arthur Pink to add insight and a different perspective.

FYI,

Please look up the Great Bible Giveaway for a chance to win a collectors bible to study and use. Great study chance.

http://blog.logos.com/archives/2009/07/the_great_bible_giveaway.html

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 4 2009 11:12 PM

David Emme:

Thanks, Yes, I have quite a few "books" in actual book form, but my goal is when I go, I take my bible and my laptop and that is it. Same thing if I make my way to a seminary.

I am assuming you mean the mission field?  I don't think they let us take the laptop "when we go" to heaven....Big Smile

My dad tried to keep his library limited to 2000 books when we were missionaries in the 70's. At the time he had 4 kids to help him move all those boxes. Seemed like we moved them once a year! Thank God for computers.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 5 2009 12:02 AM

I haven't preached for years. (I am an amputee in a wheelchair much of the time and cannot stand for more than a couple hours.) BUT, I still enjoy Bible study. I learn SO MUCH from others' lifetimes of diligent study.

Here are the ones I like & use:
Kistemaker and Hendriksen (Baker’s NT Commentary)
Keil & Delitzsch OT Commentary
J. Vernon McGee -- I can almost hear his voice as I read

I just got  The Works of H. A. Ironside and look forward to enjoying it too.

Hope to get all the College Press stuff &  someday Gospel Advocate commentaries.

Sure wish I had been able to afford the Anchor Yale Bible!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 5 of 6 (108 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS