Help Requested: Collections on Biblical Theology

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 65
Bill Carroll | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 1 2018 6:39 PM

I wanted to do some supportive reading on biblical theology.  I have received several books on biblical theology, (some I purchased individually and some as part of a set).  I'd like to create a rule that pulls them together.  However, whenever I try to gather than by title, I know some are missing.  When I try to include them as a series, I get unrelated books to the topic.  I tried using the Wiki page, but I'm not really seeing what I need to do.  Does anyone have a suggested rule for collecting together books on biblical theology from one's library?

Here's the current rule I tried using (the one that has gotten closest to my desired result): 

(title:(Biblical, “Old Testament”, “New Testament”) AND title:theology) OR (subject:(“bible. o.t.—theology”, “bible. n.t.—theology”, “bible.—o.t.—theology”, “bible.—n.t.—theology”))

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2018 6:57 PM

Deleted

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1392
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 1 2018 6:58 PM

DELETED:  I thought you said Biblical Studies, not Biblical Theology. Sorry

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 17709
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 2 2018 2:50 AM

Bill Carroll:

Here's the current rule I tried using (the one that has gotten closest to my desired result): 

(title:(Biblical, “Old Testament”, “New Testament”) AND title:theology) OR (subject:(“bible. o.t.—theology”, “bible. n.t.—theology”, “bible.—o.t.—theology”, “bible.—n.t.—theology”))

How does this rule compare ?

Subj:(Bible,Covenant,"Jesus Christ") Subj:("N.T.--Interpretation","Person and offices",Theology)

From a Mark 5:1 Passage Guide - Biblical Theologies section, clicked "Search All Biblical Theologies" followed by modifying Library filter to include all resources found in search.

Then modified search to Psalm 51 along with expanding rule to include all resource results: (plus some exclusions)

(Subj:(Bible,Biblical,Covenant,culture,Grace,"Jesus Christ",Justification,Paul) AND Subj:(Apostle,"Bible--Criticism","Homiletical use","Person and offices","Psalms--Criticism",Resurrection,".T.--Criticism","T.--Prophecies",Teaching,Theology)) -Subj:(Bibliography,"Study and teaching",Textual)

Faithlife Group Logos Collections has "Theology - Biblical + Covenant" collection

Subject:(Theology,Doctrin) Subject:(Biblica,Covenant) -Subject:Demonology

that has been revised to:

Subj:(Bible,Biblical,Covenant,"Jesus Christ") Subj:(Doctrin,"N.T.--Interpretation","Person and offices",Theology) -Subj:Demonology

plus new "Theology - All Biblical" collection

(Subj:(Bible,Biblical,Covenant,culture,Grace,"Jesus Christ",Justification,Paul) AND Subj:(Apostle,"Bible--Criticism","Homiletical use","Person and offices","Psalms--Criticism",Resurrection,".T.--Criticism","T.--Prophecies",Teaching,Theology)) -Subj:(Bibliography,"Study and teaching",Textual)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 65
Bill Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 7:44 AM

I appreciate the detailed explanation, but I'm not sure what this means.  Are you offering up four different rules to accomplish the same purpose or are these four rules for four different types of collections?  I'm a bit confused.

Posts 17709
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 5 2018 3:30 PM

Bill Carroll:
Are you offering up four different rules to accomplish the same purpose or are these four rules for four different types of collections?

Third rule expanded first rule (adds Biblical) while excluding a subject (Demonology). Your rule in original post includes a number resources with words in Title, which do not match my Subject suggestion. Hence, revised rule to include them is:

(Title:(Bibl,Testament) AND title:theology) OR (Subj:(Bibl,Covenant,"Jesus Christ") AND Subj:(Doctrin,"N.T.--Interpretation","Person and offices",Theology)) -Subj:Demonology

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

plus new "Theology - All Biblical" collection

Renamed/revamped "Theology - All Biblical (+)" collection rule to include original plus resources found in "All Biblical Theologies" search of <Ge-Rv> so resulting collection is significantly larger than Faithlife supplied group:

(Subj:(Apocalyp,Bibl) AND Title:Theolog) OR (Subj:(Bibl,Command,Covenant,Culture,Doctrinal,"Glory of God",Grace,"Jesus Christ",John,Paul,Thomas) AND Subj:(Apostle,Christianity,Congresses,"Gospels--Criticism","Person and offices","Son of Man",".T.--Criticism",Teaching,Ten,Theology,Trial,Wisdom,Worship)) -Subj:(Bibliography,"Study and teaching",Textual)

A number of resources found in "All Biblical Theologies" search do not have Biblical Theology in their subject metadata so this collection rule includes them.  Subj:Bibl AND Title:Theolog included many resources (Subj:Bibl matches Bible and Biblical while Title:Theolog matches Theological and Theology). Changed "N.T.--Interpretation" to ".T.--Criticism" (shorter) plus moved Doctrinal to match subject for Unseem Realm (Theology, doctrinal), which included many more resources.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 65
Bill Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 6 2018 12:02 PM

Oh, okay.  Thank you for the follow-up explanation.  That makes sense now! Stick out tongue

Posts 13020
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 6 2018 12:11 PM

I would use this:

(title:("biblical theology", "testament theology"), series:("biblical theology", "testament theology"), subject:("bible theology","bible o t theology", "bible n t theology")) -type:journal

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS