A20 (or 21) request

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 6 2010 10:38 AM

Request for A20 or A21, assuming A20 is already underway.

As much as I hate to say it, stop working on features. There was a window starting back around A10 or so when I was able to use L4 Mac and do a number of my sermon prep tasks. Since (A14?ish) my use of L4 Mac has grown less and I've barely touched it with the last few Alpha's. The new bugs have been annoying, but my main issue is how sluggish things are.

Pause the feature and spend some time optimizing. I know that usually comes later, but I'm guessing I'm not the only one that currently can't really use the Alpha because it runs so slow. Resources are slow to pull up, searches are sluggish, guides take a while, scrolling is intolerable. 

So take an alpha or two to really work on speeding things up, then go back to coding Passage Lists for me. :)

Posts 22
Ethan Knudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 3:08 PM

If it counts for anything, I second this request. I recently saw L4 running on a pc for the first time and I wasn't most tempted to covet the resources that I don't yet have, but the speed. It's strange, no matter what passage of scripture I am studying using L4 on my mac, it seems like God is teaching me something about patience ;) Maybe God still has more to teach me, but I would appreciate a speed upgrade over additional resources if possible.

Whatever happens though, you folks on the mac team know a lot ton more than I do about computers and what would be best, so I trust you all. Keep up the great work!

Posts 8
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 6:06 PM

I also agree.  L4 mac is turning out great, but it is slooowww right now...

Thanks for the hard work.

Posts 23
John Wetzig | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 10:17 PM

I'm not sure what's holding you up, but my program is abundantly fast. And I've been using it exclusively for quite some time.

Posts 201
Garrett Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 11:52 PM

People have been asking about this for a while, and the response has consistently been that optimizing is being done concurrent to the addition of features.

I'm inclined to trust that they're doing their best, and that it is "optimal" to provide a useable alpha now and completed future product.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 12:06 PM

Garrett Ho:
the response has consistently been that optimizing is being done concurrent to the addition of features.

Almost. Some optimization is always done while a product is in development, but developers will really focus on optimizing code once all features are added and bugs are being weeded out. My suggestion is they spend a little time now focusing on optimization rather than on new features. Clean up the existing features, then go back to adding more new stuff.

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 3:27 PM

It seems that Logos 4 has been getting a little faster over the last few alphas in a lot of the areas that matter to me, so I believe that the team have been doing some optimisation. However, I understand that it is best to get the software feature complete in the alpha phase and bug fix/optimise in the beta phase. This reduces the risk of abortive work and is what the beta testers report happened in the development of the Windows version.

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS