Alpha 20 Teasers

Page 1 of 4 (61 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 60 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 7 2010 1:23 PM

As many of you know, most applications have trouble pasting footnotes and citations into Pages due to its poor support for importing from major file formats.

One of our contractors has spent the last few weeks becoming the only person outside of Apple to understand Pages' native format, and this is the result:

As far as I know, Logos 4 is the only application other than Microsoft Word that can properly get footnotes directly into Pages (I would love to know if there are any others).

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 1:27 PM

Excellent! Looking forward to A20 already!

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 1:53 PM

Excellent!

The only other Application I know of that can do footnotes is Endnote  http://www.endnote.com

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 9
Jason M. Dickinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 6:28 PM

That is a beautiful thing!  Any chance A20 will be out later tonight as I work into the wee hours of the morning on one of my last papers for the semester? Big Smile

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 7 2010 7:51 PM

Jason M. Dickinson:
That is a beautiful thing!  Any chance A20 will be out later tonight as I work into the wee hours of the morning on one of my last papers for the semester?

Probably not. Normal release is every 2 weeks on a Monday. 19.1 was a fluke to correct some errors. A20 should be out a week from this coming Monday.

Posts 9
Jason M. Dickinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 7:28 AM

Yeah, I figured. Just trying to be biblical - "you do not have because you do not ask" (Jas 4:2).

I'm a former PC'er who used 3.0 for several years. Shortly after switching to Logos 4 I also switched to Mac. I love my Mac and I love my Logos even more every 2 weeks!

Keep up the good work, Logos. Every update puts you further ahead in the field of Mac Bible software!

God bless!

Posts 48
David Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 10:06 AM

That looks nice. I have a related question.

I was reading that there would someday be in Logos the ability to create personal books. (I either read it or I was dreaming at the time.)

If I could use an external word processor, but create my own searchable books to add to my library, that would be most ideal. 

iMac 21.5 inch • iPhone 3GS 

Software Engineer καὶ μαθητῆς τοῦ λόγου τοῦ θεοῦ

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 10:16 AM

David Parker:

I was reading that there would someday be in Logos the ability to create personal books. (I either read it or I was dreaming at the time.)

If I could use an external word processor, but create my own searchable books to add to my library, that would be most ideal. 

You heart right.  That feature is coming.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 12:01 PM

David Parker:

This existed in Logos 3 as the Personal Book Builder. It had to be purchased as a separate add-on and, as far as I recall, did not come with any base package. Logos is working on adding PBB to Logos 4 but I haven't seen anything yet to say how users will get it. I'm assuming it will have to be purchased, as was the case with Logos 3. 

The following were the product add-ons that allowed creating resources for Logos. Both PBB and sermon-file will eventually show up in Logos 4:

http://www.logos.com/products/details/2462

http://www.logos.com/products/details/2463

http://www.logos.com/products/details/3164

Posts 396
Fernando A Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 3:34 PM

This is beautiful!   I want it...! Can't wait...!

Posts 56
Seth Huckstead | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 5:21 PM

David, are you using the copy and paste feature in Logos? I also use Mellel, and if you are highlighting, copying, and pasting into that program it handles Logos really well. It would be more work, but it would be cool to have Mellel as well-I don't know of another word processing program that handles fonts as well and is so friendly to scholarly research. 

Posts 48
David Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 6:38 PM

Yes, thank you for the links, especially the one that allows me to link back to resources.

I'm relatively new to Logos and like the idea of Notes, but as I thought about it more, having something like a word processor (like Pages) external to Logos to create my lesson with the ability to link back to Logos resources with links is more what I'm looking for.

iMac 21.5 inch • iPhone 3GS 

Software Engineer καὶ μαθητῆς τοῦ λόγου τοῦ θεοῦ

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 7:01 PM

Pasting footnotes into Pages, excellent! I hope this includes the book footnote too! This will be great. I hope also maybe the Clippings and Handout features will be coming in the near future. I saw the videos for those on the PC side and they look awesome and would save some time!!!

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 7:17 PM

I just took a closer look at the screenshot and found out that it does put the book footnote. That is excellent!!! I know that I will use that feature. I was pasting it into MS Word for Mac and then into pages and that was not fun. Thanks Logos for the continued work on Logos 4 for Mac! 

Posts 491
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 8:33 AM

David Mitchell:

As far as I know, Logos 4 is the only application other than Microsoft Word that can properly get footnotes directly into Pages (I would love to know if there are any others).

In keeping with forum guidelines, I wouldn't post this link had you not directly asked, but pasting footnotes into Pages from Accordance has been available since November last year.

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 9:40 AM

I don't know if I'd call that getting "footnotes directly into Pages," but if you're willing to install a weird script, sure, I guess it's possible…

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 61
David Sawyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 4:17 PM

This is fantastic news!  I can't wait till next Monday...

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 5:00 PM

Wonder if Apple will now hire this contractor once you guys are done with him?    However, y'all better make sure you get all his notes and stash them in a very safe place, Steve may be coming [Insert REACT emotocon here] LightningLightning

Posts 86
Scott Fleischman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 2:51 PM

Shortcuts will be available in Alpha 20.  You can drag a resource or tab onto the empty toolbar area to create shortcuts.

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 3:33 PM

Scott Fleischman:

Shortcuts will be available in Alpha 20.  You can drag a resource or tab onto the empty toolbar area to create shortcuts.

This is a welcome addition (thank you), but is this the final design for this portion of the software? This header just does not seem to fit with the apple UI aesthetic.

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer."

- Psalm 19:14

Page 1 of 4 (61 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS