OCR being passed off as 'high quality' Logos edition

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 668
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 13 2018 3:39 AM

I'm very disappointed with the 'Select Works of Samuel Rutherford' which have just downloaded. There's no hint from the product description that they're anything different from standard Logos editions however it seems that they are largely just part of the batch of OCR works taken from the 'Library of Early English History' as:

- Greek and Hebrew words are missing and replaced by: 〈in non-Latin alphabet 〉
- No page numbers for the introductory matter
- The cover images aren't those advertised on the product page, but those from the library of Early English History
- I now have a dynamic price on the Library of Early English History
- The 'information' tabs for the books has the generic: 'Get a first-hand look at English life and literature in the fifteenth, sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Comprising primary source historical documents and literary works, this collection provides insight into English literature, politics and culture'

On the product page for the Library of Early English History there is a disclaimer saying that the books don't have the same level of individual tagging as normal Logos resources - however there's no such warning on this Rutherford collection, for which $42 is being charged for 3 books (or really, 2 books and a booklet).

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2018 4:11 AM

That does seem out of order. If it was me, I would return them, but Logos should either reduce the price and add a disclaimer, or withdraw this from sale.

Posts 9556
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2018 1:32 PM

Mark Barnes:
Logos should either reduce the price and add a disclaimer, or withdraw this from sale.

I agree that something like this should be done. I too am disappointed with the quality of what I received.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 931
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2018 2:05 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Mark Barnes:
Logos should either reduce the price and add a disclaimer, or withdraw this from sale.

I agree that something like this should be done. I too am disappointed with the quality of what I received.

I'm not sure what happened here. We're looking into it.

Director, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 9556
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 13 2018 11:15 PM

Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife):

Thanks Ben.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 621
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 14 2018 3:10 PM

Thanks Ben. I was just about to start looking at these after they downloaded earlier this week. I think I may wat :-) 

Posts 361
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 15 2018 2:10 AM

Those interested in Samuel Rutherford's work might like to take a peek at my Logos version of the 1641 Covenant. I have an original copy of the Covenant and tried to reproduce the fonts etc.

All explained in the Files Forum July 2016.

Stephen Miller

Australia

Posts 621
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 15 2018 2:25 PM

Thanks very much Stephen, I will take a look. I think I located it on this thread ...

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/127568.aspx 

Posts 81
Kevin Wang | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 16 2018 6:49 PM

Any update on this? Thanks!

Posts 668
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2018 7:47 AM

2 months on - any update on this?

Posts 931
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2018 8:50 AM

Stephen Steele:

I'm writing up an explanation right now. Will post later today. I just wanted to let you know I saw this Smile

Posts 931
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2018 12:09 PM

Stephen Steele:

I'm writing up an explanation right now. Will post later today. I just wanted to let you know I saw this Smile

Here's what I found:

The resources are fully-tagged Logos editions of Rutherford's work. Any deficiencies in the text come from the source materials.

The covers and descriptions are the same as the LEEH resources is because when we created the Logos edition, we used the same resource ID (this is standard practice with Vyrso/Ebook titles when we convert them to Logos so that people don’t have to re-buy the resource or have duplicate resources in their library). I’m having the team update the cover images and descriptions.

I'm sorry it took so long to respond to this. If you are still unhappy with the resources, please call customer service and they can give you a refund.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS