How to find all rebukes/corrections in the New Testament?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 106
Samuel | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 15 2018 6:17 PM

I'm trying to find all the rebukes or corrections given in the New Testament. I would think this is simple using one of the Logos datasets but cannot quite find out how to do it. I have tried Bible sense but that doesn't really work because it only finds words that mean "rebuke" or "correction" it doesn't find passages that would be categorized that way.

Posts 13207
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 16 2018 1:21 AM

I don't think that's going to be possible. I couldn't immediately think of a dataset that would do this.

So I looked at the tagging for Matthew 16:23, and there's nothing in the tagging that implies a rebuke or correction.

Your best bet would therefore seem to be a Topical Bible Index. There are entries for rebuke in:

None of those are likely to be exhaustive, and some suggest other categories such as reprimand and scolding.

My advice would be to create a passage list of all the passages from those four indexes. Add this to the verses you've already found with your sense search (the senses 'to admonish', 'to criticise' and 'rebuke'). When searching sense data, include the ~ character to ensure you get sub-senses, too. There are also lots of topic guide possibilities, too: admonish, chastening, chastisement, reproof, for example. Then you've got Louw-Nida possibilities, particularly in the 33.412-33.422 range.

If you want to be thorough, then use the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge or the Cross-References section of the Passage Guide to check for other possible entries.

You won't be able to guarantee an exhaustive list, but you might get pretty close.

Posts 106
Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 16 2018 5:23 AM

Thank you that is helpful

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS