A proposal that benefits everyone

Page 5 of 6 (118 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 117 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 7:04 AM

Beloved:

Joseph,

You're very perceptive. I wrote a reply to his answer which I reproduce here:  

Thank you for your timely response. Sorry if I did not make myself clear. What I and many users are requesting is that your organization make   the second edition available once again in digital format for Logos Bible Software. Anything you can do to further this request would be   greatly appreciated.

If there is anything you would change, I would be glad to pass it along.

Again, I wouldn't have worded it that way.  I would have said, "The second edition is already available in the Logos format, and several people own and use it.  What we are asking is that you allow the second edition (the one already created and available from Logos) to be sold again to anyone who purchases or has purchased the third edition.  You will then be guaranteed proceeds for BOTH the second and third editions, and there is nothing new that needs to be done on the part of the University of Chicago Press.  The only thing that changes for the University of Chicago Press is that the publisher is guaranteed more sales."

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 7:39 AM

Beloved:

Joseph,

You're very perceptive. I wrote a reply to his answer which I reproduce here:  

Thank you for your timely response. Sorry if I did not make myself clear. What I and many users are requesting is that your organization make   the second edition available once again in digital format for Logos Bible Software. Anything you can do to further this request would be   greatly appreciated.

If there is anything you would change, I would be glad to pass it along.

I did want to jump back in and say thank you Beloved for your work on this, and I don't mean to come off as critical.  I am looking at this from the perspective of the editorial director with whom you are communicating.  I assume he doesn't have a lot of information concerning the Logos version or time to deal with it, and the idea of offering "a new edition" of a discontinued work is probably a non-starter for him, so I doubt he would spend any time considering the matter.  The email he sent you back reads that way.  But if he understands that the work is already ready for release, and there is nothing else that needs to be done for the publisher to make extra money, then this might be enough for him to move the information on up the chain.  That's just what I'm thinking.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 8:14 AM

Joseph Turner:
Again, I wouldn't have worded it that way.  I would have said, "The second edition is already available in the Logos format, and several people own and use it.  What we are asking is that you allow the second edition (the one already created and available from Logos) to be sold again to anyone who purchases or has purchased the third edition.  You will then be guaranteed proceeds for BOTH the second and third editions, and there is nothing new that needs to be done on the part of the University of Chicago Press.  The only thing that changes for the University of Chicago Press is that the publisher is guaranteed more sales."

I see you're point. I'll wait for an opportunity to make this argument.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 3:56 PM

Joseph,

I received a very encouraging reply to my follow up email. The Rights Department is looking into granting permissions. Alan encourages me to follow up in two months! I wouldn't break out the champagne flutes just yet but I've put in my order for the bubbly.Smile

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 10:26 PM

Beloved:

Joseph,

I received a very encouraging reply to my follow up email. The Rights Department is looking into granting permissions. Alan encourages me to follow up in two months! I wouldn't break out the champagne flutes just yet but I've put in my order for the bubbly.Smile

That is great news!  Thanks for sticking with it.  If it works out, maybe that will be the catalyst for Logos to seek out selling other items which have been replaced by a newer edition like the NIV84.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 2:20 PM

The ball is now firmly in FL's court. Here is a copy of the email I got in response to f/u:

Allan, an update: our rights manager has been in touch with Logos and this is currently on hold on their end because they need to explore whether the expense of updating the BAGD files can be justified. 

Let's let FL know in no uncertain terms that they should do this. Let's reopen discussion! Yes, spend what you need to spend to update files. Your customers want this in Logos.

Posts 65
Phil Quigley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 3:24 PM

I agree. This would be a great thing. 

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 3:40 PM

Phil Quigley:

I agree. This would be a great thing. 

Yes

Posts 2328
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 4:00 PM

I know it's not a prepub, but is there some way that FaithLife could "take orders", like a prepub to know if there would be enough interest for them to put the time and money into it.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 4:22 PM

Ronald Quick:

I know it's not a prepub, but is there some way that FaithLife could "take orders", like a prepub to know if there would be enough interest for them to put the time and money into it.

The closest thing I think would be to offer it as a CP and crowdsource it.

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 6:34 PM

I don't see why they need to update the file.  It works fine.

Posts 1577
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 6:49 PM

This is one reason why I have had to go to Amazon Kindle to purchase older versions of books which I really love; and books that are region-restricted in Logos and Faithlife Ebooks, I can also buy on Amazon Kindle.

I remember a few books by Max Lucado that Logos or Faithlife did not have, and still doesn't have that I had to buy on Amazon Kindle; and other region-restricted books as well.

Region-restricted never made any sense to me, and it still doesn't. I find it to be really ridiculous. I would rather have them in Logos or Faithlife; but so be it, they send me to Amazon Kindle.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 6:50 PM

Joseph Turner:

Hey Joseph,

you're just who I wanted to hear from. What could they possibly mean by update the file? And the expense?

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 6:54 PM

Beloved:

Joseph Turner:

Hey Joseph,

you're just who I wanted to hear from. What could they possibly mean by update the file? And the expense?

I'm sure it is not up to their current standards, as it has been discontinued for a long time, and I appreciate their desire to keep those standards consistent; however, I have never had a problem with it.  They could simply relist it as is if they really wanted to do so.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 7:17 PM

Joseph Turner:
They could simply relist it as is if they really wanted to do so.

I really want this work. I would accept it as is. FL could add it now and over the course of time slowly in a cost-conscious way bring it up to their accepted standards. This work is invaluable especially if you have SIL which I own and use often. 

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 3 2018 4:14 PM

I've put in a call to Bob on this. I hope he chooses to answer here. 

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 10:47 AM

Beloved:
I've put in a call to Bob on this. I hope he chooses to answer here. 

I've handed this over to our publisher relations team to see if we can make it happen.

Posts 2304
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 11:29 AM

Bob Pritchett:
I've handed this over to our publisher relations team to see if we can make it happen.

Thank you sooo much! Please do.

Posts 8899
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 12:58 PM

Beloved:

Bob Pritchett:

Thank you sooo much! Please do.

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 17
Rev A W Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 4 2018 9:59 PM

BAGD and BDAG were both separate purchases, and I would not be pleased to lose the former.

Page 5 of 6 (118 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS