Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 26
Mike | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 29 2018 11:13 PM

Hi. We're using "import from elvanto" to manage songs and it's working great. thanks for setting that up. having some issues with font size. When a line is too long it is shrinking font size, sometimes marginally but enough to notice between songs. i've noticed when putting lyrics directly into proclaim a box will appear warning that font size is shrunk... this doesn't seem to happen when importing from elvanto. 

Would it be possible to stop font size adjusting or even show what font size is being used when it is being automatically adjusted? Or even allow line wrap as an option?

Posts 319
LogosEmployee
Justin (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2018 7:59 AM

Hello Mike,

Have you tried increasing the size of the lyric text box itself as well?  You should be able to select the corners of the text box and drag it out, allowing more room for increased font size or longer lyric lines.

Posts 26
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2018 1:55 PM

It's a full size text box. And the point is, how do I know when I need to do something like this? The textbox says text is size 50 but it's not and there's no warning. I have found myself even holding a ruler to the screen to compare songs because I can't tell if my eyes are playing tricks on me re auto-size adjustment. 

Posts 319
LogosEmployee
Justin (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2018 2:01 PM

We'll take a look into the absence of a warning for you.  However Proclaim won't break up lines upon import, as it may confuse people about the original structure of the song.

Posts 319
LogosEmployee
Justin (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2018 2:33 PM

Hello,

So we did some testing.  You will receive a warning if a particular verse line is too long, and needs to be downsized to fit the width of the text box, but you won't necessarily receive a warning if the font is reformatted because there are too many lines to fit the box vertically.

What you could do is, if you see some of your verses/choruses filling the entire height of the text box, you could break those verse/choruses up so they appear on separate slides.

We'll make note of experience and look into if we can make this behavior more clear to people.

Posts 26
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2018 9:37 PM

Thanks. Could i make a suggestion on experience? perhaps any time any text is not rendered as the size selected a little exclamation mark ⚠️  appears to the right of the font selection with a hover over “font rendered smaller than selected size”.  The current warning too easily dissapears. 

Posts 4551
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2018 11:45 PM

Justin (Faithlife):
We'll make note of experience and look into if we can make this behavior more clear to people.

I think it would improve matters if the Font size box actually showed the minimum size that the font is displayed rather than the size that is aimed for.

And may I remind you that we still have the the rather unsettling effect of the text size actually decreasing at points when the font size is made larger!

Posts 26
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 3 2018 8:31 PM

just noticed that italisizing font makes it bold instead of italics. That is a bit funky. 

Font I'm using is Source Serfi Pro.

Posts 149
LogosEmployee
Matt Mattox (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 7:03 AM

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the report. I was able to replicate what you are experiencing. I'll keep digging and report back once we have a fix. 

Posts 26
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 19 2018 9:00 PM

i presume there's been an update. I now get:

(1) a warning box

(2) only the line that's too long is effected... before it appeared font size for all text was effected when it didn't fit. 

Thanks

Posts 26
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 24 2018 10:18 PM

The warning box stopped showing again and the font size issue is back Sad

Now if a line is too long the whole song is reduced in size without warning.

What happened?

Posts 149
LogosEmployee
Matt Mattox (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2018 7:05 AM

Hey Mike,

You aren't seeing the red error message indicating you need to insert a line break? 

Have you taken a look at this article here? https://support.proclaimonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/210021963-Why-aren-t-my-song-lyrics-laying-out-right- 

Even if you are importing from Elvanto this will stay play a factor. 

Posts 26
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2018 3:27 PM

Correct Re no warning sign. 

This was the behaviour I was experiencing when i started this thread: whole song would be reduced in size, sometimes marginally without warning when importing a song from elvanto with a long lyric line. 

Then last week i got warning label and only offending line reduced size. 

Now back to original behaviour. 

Posts 149
LogosEmployee
Matt Mattox (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 7:03 AM

Hey Mike,

We never shipped an update to fix this yet Mike. What you are experiencing is true.

Like Justin said "You will receive a warning if a particular verse line is too long, and needs to be downsized to fit the width of the text box, but you won't necessarily receive a warning if the font is reformatted because there are too many lines to fit the box vertically."

You should be getting a red message saying "One or more lines on this item have been scaled to fit the slide. Add a line break to refine the layout"

It isn't going to really indicate where in the song it is happening, but just give you a message letting you know your song layout needs line breaks. We could do a better job on pin pointing where in the song you need to insert a line break to give a better user experience. Is that something you are looking for? 

Posts 26
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2018 4:32 AM

I don't get the warning even if it is a line that is too long. I've just run import tests from elvanto with a dummy line that is too long... no vertical formatting issues. And no warning message. 

The behaviour seems erratic because I did get this a couple of weeks ago, and my admin colleague and I were delighted. Now we're confused. 

I'm not sure if this is just an elvanto bug. We use elvanto to manage all our songs and import from there each week. We really do want a warning message in the way you describe. I'm not as concerned about vertical spacing, or even where the issue is. Just a warning would be good. 

Posts 26
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2018 4:39 AM

So I think I found the issue. There seems to be a threshold where:

- when line is slightly too long it reduces font size of whole song. no warning of font change

- when line is beyond threshold it reduces only that line and a warning box is shown.

I sort of get why you'd do this... to try and avoid a mismatch in font size between lines... but to change font in the first instance without warning also produces an undesirable - different font size throughout presentation. But my honest opinion is that this is too much smarts and not enough user control

In the following pdf you can see the line gets slightly longer in each pic... font size changes and only at the end (threshold exceeded) does a warning box appear and a single line font size is changed.

4478.Song Line Test.pdf

Posts 319
LogosEmployee
Justin (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2018 10:14 AM

Thanks for the clear example and feedback Mike, we'll bring it up for discussion. 

Posts 1
Creative Kirche | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 17 2018 2:03 AM

Hey Justin,

The issue with line size is always coming up in my Teams.
It would be way more intuitiv and user friendly if the text Sizes would be fixed to what is set.
Is this something that is already in work or even considered?

LG
Rubin

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS