Best Commentaries sale: Great Idea, thanks, Faithlife!

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 1 2018 9:32 AM

hey, what a fun promotion, thank you!  I see I own most, save for some Anchor Yale and NIV Application, will be considering a few of those, glad for that!  I'm looking at adding to my Raymond Brown/Johannine volumes, and a couple others.

Everybody, Note: EBC Matthew (DA Carson) is the "old" version, not the updated one.  I'm guessing that is likely the one "top rated" because the other is too new to qualify?  Seems it would have made the cut, though.

Was hoping for Koester's Anchor/Yale Revelation commentary, but, though "top rated" in a sense, likely too new to make the cut...sadly. :D  Patiently waiting on that one, for months now....:D

Dan

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 688
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 9:42 AM

What a brilliant idea - only problem is I already have most. Sigh

On a side note - If anyone sees any content problems on BestCommentaries - let me know - I can do something about that.

Shalom

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 10:07 AM

Kevin A Lewis:
On a side note - If anyone sees any content problems on BestCommentaries - let me know - I can do something about that.

Not exactly sure to what you are referring, but when I went to the site and typed "Revelation" in the search box, several/most thumbnails seemed broken.

Posts 557
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 10:26 AM

Will someone build a collection for these books? I would like to be able to search them first when doing exegetical study. 

Posts 41
Chi Shun Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 10:47 AM

Logos, why is the BECNT (Baker Series) never on sale??!!!

It was not on the March Madness, and is not on this either when so many volumes are clearly in the top 5 at bestcommentaries.

Posts 1
John D Hudgins Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 10:57 AM

The Baker Commentary on the Old Testament: Wisdom and Psalms
has three in the top five as well.  I will be waiting on these to go on sale someday hopefully!!!

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 11:32 AM

Please could somebody provide a link for this sale?  I'm seeing some of the Anchor Yale volumes, but only when individually searching for them.  I don't think they're yet appearing under the "sale" filter.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 11:44 AM

https://www.logos.com/commentary-sale

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 11:50 AM

I'll add my thanks to FL for one of the best sales I think they've ever put together.

I picked up Child's epic commentary on Exodus. I'll be looking at some others, but am grateful i do have many already. 50% off is a great price for individual volumes.

Why no Baker Exegetical? Probably licensing/publisher permission. I'm sure FL would like to offer them. The volume(s) on Luke, Acts, Romans, 1 Corinthians, and 1 Peter (among others) are top notch.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 11:54 AM

Mark Smith:

Many thanks!  Now to choose...

Posts 1422
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 1:05 PM

I had two in my wish list. Thanks, logos!

When going through the list, looks like I have most of the best exegetical ones already.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 1:06 PM

Anyone see an expiration on the sale?

Posts 118
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 3:49 PM

Mark Smith:
I picked up Child's epic commentary on Exodus. I'll be looking at some others, but am grateful i do have many already. 50% off is a great price for individual volumes.

I'm glad you brought this up. Could you expound a bit more on what makes this commentary worth the investment? The only other commentary I've read from Childs is his Isaiah volume in the same series. It could be he is an acquired taste, but I found that every time I consulted his work I was underwhelmed. Maybe his Isaiah volume was simply a lemon?

Posts 2061
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 4:53 PM

Wish we had this long ago, but boy am I happy to see it now!  I have most that I want, but will pick up a couple.  A few years ago I would have bought the whole kit and caboodle.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 5:16 PM

Jonathan Ray:
Could you expound a bit more on what makes this commentary worth the investment?

What Childs did with his Exodus commentary that was new in its time was to add sections that no other critical commentary included. These include a section that looks beyond the Old Testament context of the passage and examines the New Testament use of the text, a survey the history of interpretation (history of exegesis) of the text, and a section of theological reflection on the passage. His was a model of commentary writing, and others have followed his pattern to one extent or another since it was released.

Because Childs championed the canonical approach to interpreting scripture, his commentary, as a critical commentary should, deals with the literary and history of tradition questions, but he does not turn the commentary over to these issues. He evenhandedly deals with critical questions, but focuses on the text in its final form (The Old Testament Context he calls it). Some critical commentaries as you probably know are content to debate literary origins, adduce parallels to other ANE texts, or limit their discussion to form, literary, and historical matters, basically neglecting the meaning of the text. Childs does not do this. The text has meaning to the church in his mind, and that meaning must be brought out.

Today, other commentaries surpass Childs in some ways, which is why he is not at #1. However, I doubt you'll find a commentary on Exodus that adds all the features that Childs introduced, so it is still a valuable volume to own. I've had it in hardback for years, and am now glad to have it in Logos format.

I have not read or used his Isaiah commentary so cannot compare them.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 62
Avi | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 6:21 PM

Thank you Faithlife! That's a great sale! Big Smile

Posts 268
Roger Dittmar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 6:24 PM

Avi Lebedev:

Thank you Faithlife! That's a great sale! Big Smile

Agree! YesYes

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 9:19 PM

Mark Smith:

Jonathan Ray:
Could you expound a bit more on what makes this commentary worth the investment?

What Childs did with his Exodus commentary that was new in its time was to add sections that no other critical commentary included. These include a section that looks beyond the Old Testament context of the passage and examines the New Testament use of the text, a survey the history of interpretation (history of exegesis) of the text, and a section of theological reflection on the passage. His was a model of commentary writing, and others have followed his pattern to one extent or another since it was released.

Because Childs championed the canonical approach to interpreting scripture, his commentary, as a critical commentary should, deals with the literary and history of tradition questions, but he does not turn the commentary over to these issues. He evenhandedly deals with critical questions, but focuses on the text in its final form (The Old Testament Context he calls it). Some critical commentaries as you probably know are content to debate literary origins, adduce parallels to other ANE texts, or limit their discussion to form, literary, and historical matters, basically neglecting the meaning of the text. Childs does not do this. The text has meaning to the church in his mind, and that meaning must be brought out.

Today, other commentaries surpass Childs in some ways, which is why he is not at #1. However, I doubt you'll find a commentary on Exodus that adds all the features that Childs introduced, so it is still a valuable volume to own. I've had it in hardback for years, and am now glad to have it in Logos format.

I have not read or used his Isaiah commentary so cannot compare them.

insightful, Mark, thank you.

Posts 41
Steven New | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 9:23 PM

I would love some suggestions of the best commentaries for each book in this sale.  I would love to pick up a few for Old Testament and New Testament.  

I would love something that presented all the different views and positions well and presents a fair discourse.  

Posts 41
Chi Shun Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 10:40 PM

Steven,

Here are some of commentaries that are generally considered the best for the specific book, and some of the best written commentaries in general:

For the OT:

Genesis: WBC by Gordon Wenham

Proverbs: NICOT by Bruce Waltke

Isaiah: NICOT John Oswalt (Though J. A. Motyer is great as well)

For the NT:

Matthew: EBC by D. A. Carson

John: Pillar by D. A. Carson

Romans: NICNT by Douglas Moo

1 Corinthians: NICNT by Gordon Fee

Pastoral Epistles: WBC William D. Mounce

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS