Two copies of Chisholm in this month's additional resources

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 16
Clinton Branscombe | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 4 2018 4:30 AM

One of the additional resources offered in this month's Free Book of the Month is a copy of Robert Chisholms' A Commentary on Judges and Ruth.  Two resources were downloaded: one said "Commentary," the other "Text."  The title page for both is the same. 

The translation does contain only the biblical text, but says it has 668 pages, while the commentary has 696.  There is a note in the commentary that the translation used is slightly revised from the NET Bible.

Should these not be joined into just one resource?

Posts 8989
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 4:33 AM

Clinton Branscombe:

No, what would that help?

You can view both in two tabs scrolling together, but it is good Logos standard to produce text and notes/commentary as separate resources.

Running Logos 7 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1692
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 6:34 AM

I actually would have preferred in this case, one resource instead of 2

Posts 16
Clinton Branscombe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 12:04 PM

I too prefer a single resource, especially since that seems to be the way the original volume was published.  If I wanted the translation text visible, I would simply open a second copy and navigate to the passage.

Posts 12263
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 12:19 PM

Clinton Branscombe:

I too prefer a single resource, especially since that seems to be the way the original volume was published.  If I wanted the translation text visible, I would simply open a second copy and navigate to the passage.

That would work OK, but it wouldn't be possible for the translation and the text to be linked (i.e. scroll together), which many users value.

The separate resources give us the best of both worlds, through multiview. If you want both resources in the same panel, add them both to a collection, then use multiview to display both. That also makes it easy to toggle the text on and off.

Posts 1732
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 2:01 PM

It would still be possible to squeeze two parallel columns in the same resource, like it has been done in the ICC Genesis.

One of the worst reading experiences ever.

--
Jan Krohn -- Returning back to Germany after 5 years of Mission Work in Cambodia. Starting Next Now...
www.heidoc.net -- Vyrso Freebies Newsletter -- Bible Apps -- Secret Microsoft Downloads

Posts 4604
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 3:45 PM

I have to say I am with Mick and Mark on this one, for me personally I see this as best practice, particularly when combining the two using multi-view as Mark suggested so text can be "turned on or off" as required.

Another advantage of the text being separate from the main commentary is that you can then bring it into the text comparison tool to see how the commentator has translated it differently the translations you normally like to use.

NB.Mick:

Clinton Branscombe:

No, what would that help?

You can view both in two tabs scrolling together, but it is good Logos standard to produce text and notes/commentary as separate resources.

Mark Barnes:

Clinton Branscombe:

That would work OK, but it wouldn't be possible for the translation and the text to be linked (i.e. scroll together), which many users value.

The separate resources give us the best of both worlds, through multiview. If you want both resources in the same panel, add them both to a collection, then use multiview to display both. That also makes it easy to toggle the text on and off.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS