Page 2 of 5 (81 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 80 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 9:00 AM

It's 9:00 am (Pacific Time) and mine STILL says No Updates Available

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 9:01 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
An RC is not 'gold' so it falls in the beta camp.

Not true. RCs use the stable channel by default. RCs are released in the hope that they will become gold. So 4.0c gold will be exactly the same build as 4.0c RC4.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 9:07 AM

Mark Barnes:
Richard DeRuiter:
An RC is not 'gold' so it falls in the beta camp.

Mark Barnes:
Not true. RCs use the stable channel by default. RCs are released in the hope that they will become gold. So 4.0c gold will be exactly the same build as 4.0c RC4.

Yet those running the 4.0b 'gold' didn't go through the RC regimen of RC2-4, and the initial release of RC-4 wasn't gold until today sometime. One running the beta, setting the update channel to default or to beta would get the RC updates 1-4. I don't know what would happen if someone, having RC1, set their update channel to stable. Would they get RC-2, RC-3, and RC-4 (before it went gold)? I'm not sure, but I don't think so, hence my conclusion. An RC is still a Release Candidate, so it's not considered a stable release -- yet.

If you know something I don't about this, I don't mind being corrected.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 9:12 AM

Let me explain. There are two channels:

• The "beta" channel includes stable, beta and RC releases
  • The "stable" channel includes only stable releases

Here's which channels different releases use by default:

• Beta versions use the "beta" channel
  • RC versions use the "stable" channel
  • Release versions use the "stable" channel

So if you're using RC1, and your channel is set to "stable" or "default", you will not receive RC2, RC3, etc. You would only get the release (aka gold) version.

If you're using beta 2, and your channel is set to "default", you'll get all the betas, and the first release candidate. Then you'll get no more releases until gold, because the RC uses the stable channel by default, whereas the betas use the beta channel by default.

Posts 2108
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 9:19 AM

As I stated in the blog post, the plan is to release it sometime today. We don't have a more specific ETA than that. We announce new versions slightly in advance of the release so you can know why you're getting a download and what it includes.

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 9:21 AM

Removed by poster.

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 9:30 AM

Phil Gons:
As I stated in the blog post, the plan is to release it sometime today. We don't have a more specific ETA than that. We announce new versions slightly in advance of the release so you can know why you're getting a download and what it includes.
Okay.  I'll wait.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 9:33 AM

Terry Poperszky:

Mark Barnes:
So if you're using RC1, and your channel is set to "stable" or "default", you will not receive RC2, RC3, etc. You would only get the release (aka gold) version.

Mark, I am set to Beta and I have received all 4 RCs via update.

Which is what he said...he said if you are set to "Stable" or "default" when running RC1, you won't get anything else until Gold.  You aren't set to "Stable" or "default", you are set to "beta" Wink

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 9:35 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
I don't know what would happen if someone, having RC1, set their update channel to stable. Would they get RC-2, RC-3, and RC-4 (before it went gold)? I'm not sure, but I don't think so, hence my conclusion. An RC is still a Release Candidate, so it's not considered a stable release -- yet.

That has been my experience.  I installed RC-1 via the posted installer file.  My update channel was still set to default and I didn't automatically get RC-2.  In order to get it, I changed my update channel to beta, then back to stable after installing.  I didn't automatically get RC-3...again I changed to beta, then back to stable after installing...etc.

Posts 349
Frank Fenby | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 9:36 AM

Well there are 3 update channel setting:

1. Default - Set update channel to default
  2. Beta - Set update channel to beta
  3. Stable - Set update channel to stable

There are 3 kinds of releases

1. Beta
  2. RC - Release Candidate
  3. Gold

It seems that there are 2 "installers"

1. The one that ships with a base product.
  2. A beta one that you can download.

So what we have a three dimensional matrix of possibilities. What we need is for someone at Logos to let us know what goes in each cell in the matrix.

I seem to have gleaned from the forums that there is no way to reload the base product installer once you have downloaded the beta one. That is short of starting all over again.

Maybe I am all wrong, but what would be nothing new. Smile

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 9:37 AM

Gerald P. Swetsky:
Really wish they'd wait until the update is released before telling us about it.

Which would then lead to multiple posts in the forum asking "I just got an update, what was it?"

As Phil stated above, doing it this way allows people to know what they will be getting shortly before the update comes.  This seems like the best way to handle it given all the requests for what is in the updates Smile

Posts 37
Amelia A Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 9:58 AM

Not in Pennsylvania either - is there an issue? The blog does say 'by the end of the day.' But whose day? Pacific time 'day' or Eastern time 'day?' Can't wait to get my hands on the reverse interlinear!! How I have missed you... ;) Thank you for bringing it back!!

Posts 224
Gerald P. Swetsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 10:26 AM

Well Logos just posted to Facebook, "Logos 4.0c Is Now Available".  And it still isn't.

Gerry

Posts 9058
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 10:30 AM

PastorAmeliaAShivers:

The blog does say 'by the end of the day.' But whose day?

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With Logos a day is like a thousand... wait, that's not right.

We're working on it right now and are just double-checking everything to make sure the download and install is as smooth as possible for everyone upgrading directly from 4.0b to 4.0c.

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 10:32 AM

Frank Fenby:
we have a three dimensional matrix of possibilities

How about this?

Version you are running

Update channel

Version you will receive*

Stable

Release Candidate

Beta

Standard

Stable

Yes

Yes

Beta

Yes

Yes

Yes

Release Candidate

Stable

Yes

Yes

Beta

Yes

Yes

Yes

Beta

Stable

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Beta

Yes

Yes

Yes

Note: You will always receive the latest version, by version number, not by date. So If you are running 4.0d beta 3 in June, you won't receive 4.0c SR2 in July, regardless of any of your settings here.

Posts 37
Amelia A Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 10:40 AM

the care is appreciated - a less than smooth download and install will get you more blog traffic than this any day ;) or as you say, 'a thousand is as... ' nah, that ain't right either... ;~)

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 10:54 AM

Just started downloading 59.9MB.... I guess 4.0c is now live...

Posts 37
Amelia A Price | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 11:00 AM

there must be lots of variations - mine is 1.19 GB

Posts 224
Gerald P. Swetsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 11:01 AM

Andy Evans:

Just started downloading 59.9MB.... I guess 4.0c is now live...

Yup.

Gerry

Posts 224
Gerald P. Swetsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 11:12 AM

PastorAmeliaAShivers:

there must be lots of variations - mine is 1.19 GB

Mine too.  That's a lot of data.

Gerry

Page 2 of 5 (81 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS