Home management binder as a Personal Book in L7?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 213
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 8 2018 11:11 AM

What is a home management binder?

Mystie Winckler in a Simple Convivial web page clarifies: "Different organization and home management authors call it different things: Home Management Binder, Control Journal, Household Notebook.

But its essence is an all-in-one place for the information we need to smoothly run our homes. Whatever is helpful to you on a day-to-day basis, or whatever information you need but often lose, it belongs in your organization portfolio."

In the most basic form, a physical 3 ring binder, and section dividers and paper compose it.

From different webpages, you can get printables, that give it more structure and allow you to not forget areas.

Mystie Winckler in one webpage says that she likes the digital (electronic version) of it, as is handier and searchable. She uses different apps for different tasks and kind of info.

In pinterest there are links to do a digital binder using Evernote. From my point of view certain apps bring in the privacy question.

Sample table of contents in the home management binder is as follows:

Planning: planning, priorities, high impact activities, values, calendars, schedules, to do list, projects, mission statements, roles and tasks lists, etc.

Phones and address: normal contacts, putting first the emergency and very important ones.

Money and financial: Budgets, inventories, household info, spending records, bills to pay, credit cards info, passive income details, online banking info, insurance info, deposits, accounts, utilities, vehicle records, other assets, etc.

Health and fitness: emergency directory, illness, medications, medical history, diet and blood pressure trackers, 1st aid kit checklist, medical info sheet for e/ fly member, medical authorisation form, prescription med records, insurance info, pet medical records, etc.

Family and school: personal info page for e, clothes, shoes etc tracker, special events (birthday, anniversaries, etc), gift suggestion list, list of books to read, movies to watch, library info, recommended websites, etc.

For school aged children: schedules and holiday lists, carpool schedule, school info page, contacts, school reading lists, policies, regulations, etc.

Activities and travel: Church, volunteer info, sports, clubs, vacation n travel ideas, etc.

Different dividers could be set up for different activities. Prayer lists, travel packing, before we leave, and picnic checklists as needed, house sitter, workouts (PRs, progress in areas), etc.

For physical body stewardship (exercise) see my faithlife group on cross training.

Home management: cleaning, storage, decoration and entertaining: seasonal, children's chores, recycling and other lists, car maintenance, home inventory, stain removal, party planning, etc.

Meals n menus: to plan meals, create menus, track food supplies, groceries, pantry, freezer, favorite recipes, etc.

From my point of view, the concept itself is good, and I just wonder if someone has taken this secular concept and adjust it to the Christian stewardship life: Mr. Gary Kuhne in one of his books, recommended a prioritized way to organize life from the Christian perspective: [modified]

1 God

2 close family

3 ministries

4 other relatives, close friends and valued acquaintances

5 life management (health, personal growth, finances, etc.)

6 vocation (career, education, talents, gifts, etc)

7 other (hobbies, sports, entertainment, leisure, etc)

Also on could gain some insight using the modified Maslow's hierarchy of needs, to have from the Christian perspective at the apex "transcendence" which puts God and things of God at the top.

So my crazy idea posted to bounce it off and get feedback is:

Could such a project be developed in a Word docx document, and turned into a Personal book using Pbb, so that such home management virtual binder could be available in Logos, for easy access and search?

Has anyone tried it? feel free to share your experience, recommendations, insights on the subject. I think that this could tie in good with an effort to improve in the Christian steward area.

Blessings.

Posts 8670
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 8 2018 11:43 AM

Hamilton, I think there are better tools than Logos and Word for this sort of thing. I use some elementary ones that would probably do for your needs. Google Keep along with Google Calendar does a lot of what i need. It doesn't help you with prioritizing and project planning, but it can help you map out your week and remind you of the important things you need to do. Logos won't do this either, and lacks a calendar.

Personal planners are designed for this sort of thing. I have used one on my iPad in the past, but it lacked a Windows desktop version so I eventually stopped using it in favor of the Google apps. Perhaps someone here can recommend a personal planner that would let you set your priorities and monitor your tasks and calendar.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 213
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 9 2018 4:26 AM

Hi Mark:

I was thinking more of an important information personal book.

Do you remember the dimensions of your cars tires? how about the length of your windshield wiper blades?

Or the names, emails and numbers of the key stage coordinator at school of kids?

There is a myriad of important info that would be good to have handy.

Problem I see with commercial applications is the privacy issue. A non-Chistian will have access to your information, and very conveniently to third parties, they get hacked...  how do we know it was not planned? 

Now you are probably talking about workflow: Gtd (getting things done by contexts), Franklin Covey priority matrix and roles and task definitions based on values, Kanban, root cause analisys, etc. That is something different.

But I see nothing wrong on keeping in a PB the values, the objectives, and the checklists in L7, that guide the moral backbone of any such system.

Vyrso has many book that talk about personal financial management, stewardship, decision making, life mission clarification, ecological concerns, ethical business practices, prayer life, christian priorities, ministries, etc.

By having a PB with info in that respect related to life, one can use dead time to go over principles and "make sure we are walking in a manner worthy of the calling".

Is not only what we do, but also how.

Godliness tire has to touch the road at some time, I was thinking that there could be a way to make sure it heads the right direction and at the right spin so to speak. 

Of course the above is all my non expert opinion. 

Blessings.

Posts 8670
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 9 2018 8:32 AM

Hamilton,

I guess for just gathering of data I'd use OneNote, but a personal organizer would let you do the same.

If you want to make a PB, go ahead, but every time data changes you have to rebuild it.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 213
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 9 2018 7:26 PM

small price to lower risk of hacking by non christians.

LOL.

Posts 25958
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 9 2018 8:04 PM

Hamilton Ramos:
small price to lower risk of hacking by non christians.

I don't understand this. Who are you worried about hacking you? How is Logos more secure? What are you worried about being stolen? 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 213
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 10 2018 7:59 PM

Hi JT:

Personal information that could be used for id theft, criminal activity, etc.  L7 is a platform mostly outside the radar of hacking groups.

As important info would not be expected to be there, risk of hacking is reduced.

I have noticed a trend in some commercial apps, in which they have access to your contents.

Some advanced word processors even advertise in their web page "we look forward to read what you write". And there is a tendency toward such behaviors (unethical from my point of view) in all kinds of commercial apps.

I would think that Faithlife applications (through the fear of the Lord) would abstain from doing such things.

More and more secular, non official authorities want persons to relinquish constitutional guaranteed privacy, and it seems that is not really for the person's benefit.

I would think that groups like Fatihlife, do want your success as Christian, in matters spiritual and secular, as they should reflect Christ' nature and character, take this forums, people trying to help each other without an ultimate obscure agenda motivation.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS