Tis a Pity - Graphics

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1854
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 9 2018 7:43 PM

Seems a pity that graphics can't be a little better in a book like this:

Visual survey of the Bible. (1995). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

Posts 26229
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 9 2018 7:45 PM

The images were originally low res due to technology of the times, but FL has been known to update them along the way. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 1854
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 9 2018 7:50 PM

Yes.  Understandable. Here is hoping.  Look at this:

Posts 5597
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 10 2018 2:46 AM

A company doesn’t have graphics problems. I hope Logos can finally and once and for all improve the way we view graphics.  Somehow Libronix was a little better in that sense.

DAL

Posts 26229
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 10 2018 4:10 AM

DAL:
Somehow Libronix was a little better in that sense.

That may be false memory. As displays have increased in quality, old images look much worse... not only in memory, but in reality. 

Posts 903
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 10 2018 8:09 AM

This is a real problem.  It's gotten to where I disregard the value of illustrations when considering purchasing a Logos resource - I just assume that they aren't going to be useful.

Posts 9380
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 10 2018 1:43 PM

Wow, is Libby mad at you, JT. 

Just to calm her down, I did a side-by-side of Libby vs the competition (L7). I tried several books with maps.

Looks like (and here I'm out of my element) Libby displayed horizontal maps about 20% larger in both directions. Meaning,, the competition squashes some pixels, making smaller text unreadable. That's for horizontal maps. For vertical, it gets worse; L7 is about 20% narrower and maybe 40% shorter (serious squashification).  But where pixels are separate (eg dithering grey levels), it's pixel to pixel.

Libby wants an apology (or a pat on the back).

Posts 5597
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 10 2018 1:50 PM

Denise:

Wow, is Libby mad at you, JT. 

Just to calm her down, I did a side-by-side of Libby vs the competition (L7). I tried several books with maps.

Looks like (and here I'm out of my element) Libby displayed horizontal maps about 20% larger in both directions. Meaning,, the competition squashes some pixels, making smaller text unreadable. That's for horizontal maps. For vertical, it gets worse; L7 is about 20% narrower and maybe 40% shorter (serious squashification).  But where pixels are separate (eg dithering grey levels), it's pixel to pixel.

Libby wants an apology (or a pat on the back).

Thanks for letting him have it, Denise! LOL I knew it! In fact, when watching pictures of the temple you only have to hover your mouse over a number and a pop up window would show highlighting that particular part of the temple.  Kind of like what A company does (in a way).  So yes, now I know for sure Libronix was better in that regard.  L7 is just not up there with the graphics department.  I'd venture to say, based on experience, that overall even WS company has better graphics than L7, which is a shame, because we're talking about Logos 7 here, the cream of the crop or whatever the expression is.  I think it used to be the Cadillac of Bible Softwares...well, in some ways yes, but in others there are better options IMHO.

Anyway, I guess "Let's just be thankful for what we do have and hope for the best" when L8 comes around or LX hehe

DAL

Posts 26229
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 10 2018 1:53 PM

Dear Libby - 

Let me offer my sincere and humble apologies. No disrespect was meant. Your contribution to the Kingdom is widely known and appreciated. May your tribe increase! 

In His Service, 

JT. 

Posts 9380
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 10 2018 2:55 PM

Libby seems happier ... I'm not sure, theologically, if software can forgive (or should). 

More seriously (and again, I'm naive in this area), Logos adopted a new graphic platform at L4. I wonder is the pixel dimensions were somewhat different, so they had to pick the less-worse choice.  I haven't tried the web version's image display.

Posts 1854
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 10 2018 4:34 PM

I got all excited about the possibilities of the web version.  When I first looked at it I got even more excited about the resolution, but then realized that was because I had my glasses on.

Here is the web version of the Sea of Chin. after I blew it up.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS