For those wanting a 1984 NIV with Reverse Interlinear ...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1391
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 22 2018 3:36 PM

A few days ago I put this topic in the "Suggestions" category of the forum, but it has seen much activity there, so I'm reposting it here to determine if there's a general lack of interest or if perhaps the "Suggestions" category wasn't the best place for it.  If it doesn't get much traction here, then I'll know it's a general lack of interest and will withdraw my request from User Voice.

Here's the topic as originally post under "Suggestions".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As most of us know, the 1984 U.S. version of the NIV is no longer offered for sale.  The 1984 Anglicised version is still available however and in most cases is identical to the U.S. version, but it doesn't have the reverse interlinear feature available for it.

Since so many commentaries reference the 1984 version of the NIV and discuss the Hebrew and Greek in relation to the English translation found in the 1984 version, I have opened a UserVoice suggestion for the addition of the reverse interlinear feature for the 1984 Anglicised NIV which we can still purchase.

So ...if you're one of those who would like a 1984 NIV with reverse interlinear to use along with your commentaries, please support this UserVoice suggestion.  It's located at the URL below.

https://suggestbooks.uservoice.com/forums/308269-book-suggestions/suggestions/34269283-reverse-interlinear-for-the-holy-bible-new-intern 

Posts 532
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 24 2018 5:29 AM

Yes

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 276
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 24 2018 9:11 AM

I just gave it 2 votes

Posts 1391
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 8:28 AM

Thanks to all who have cast votes!

I don't know how many votes a suggestion needs in order for it to get serious consideration from Faithlife, but we do seem to be gaining traction. Smile

Please consider adding your vote if you feel this would be helpful to you in your studies.

https://suggestbooks.uservoice.com/forums/308269-book-suggestions/suggestions/34269283-reverse-interlinear-for-the-holy-bible-new-intern 

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 11:54 AM

Rick Ausdahl:
I don't know how many votes a suggestion needs in order for it to get serious consideration from Faithlife

There are very popular requests that seemingly go no where so it is not always a matter of how popular something is. I did vote and I hope it comes through but I am not holding my breath since I can see a valid argument against it... What if the rights holders pull the 1984A from sale before it is finished then they have done it for a market that is very closed.... One of the strongest cases for it is since it is nearly identical to 1984 it should be almost a straight copy and paste from the tagged 1984 they have I would bet that under a month it could be down with minimal resources put into it. Again the question is does FL want to or might this particular thing also mean a cry out for 2011A to be done (again should be fairly straight forward but I say this in lay terms having little insight into the complexities of it).

-dan

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 2:01 PM

Dan Francis:
I am not holding my breath since I can see a valid argument against it

Why not once again try to get the non-Anglicized version re-licensed, since the RI is already created for it? I recall the reason FL could no longer offer it was a publisher decision. Maybe there would be a change of mind on the publisher's (Zondervan's) part.

Unfortunately, I cannot see the current effort succeeding, either.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1391
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 29 2018 9:17 AM

Dan Francis:

Rick Ausdahl:
I don't know how many votes a suggestion needs in order for it to get serious consideration from Faithlife

... One of the strongest cases for it is since it is nearly identical to 1984 it should be almost a straight copy and paste from the tagged 1984 they have. I would bet that under a month it could be down with minimal resources put into it.

-dan

That was my general thought as well, Dan.  Not that I know they could do it in under a month, but thinking most of the work has already been done with the 1984 NIV US.  If so, it seems like it would be a very nice gesture on Fathlife's part to provide a way for all of those who haven't been able to get a copy of the 1984 NIV US Reverse Interlinear, to get very close to the same thing, and to be able to do it at a fairly low cost.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS