HELP: Can't install 4.0c, error

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Anonymous | | Posted: Wed, May 12 2010 2:29 PM

I get the following error message:

Error writing to file:
E:\Logos4\System\es\Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Controls.resources.dll
Verify that you have access to that directory.

Looking at the file in Explorer, I see it is dated today and is 0KB in size.  Looking at security settings I see:

Authenticated Users: modify, read & excute, read, write
SYSTEM: full control,...
Jeff: full control,...
Administrators: full control,...
Users: read & execute, read

Directory's permissions are the same.  When I exit from the installer, the file reverts back to the April 19 version as though nothing happened.  I verified that I can indeed copy files into that directory no problem.  So I'm at wits end.  Is the installer running as a weird effective user or something?

I also verified that Jeff owns the file.  I'm running the installer as Jeff, as I always have.  Please, any clues?

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 3:02 PM

Jeff,

Please close Logos 4 and enable Diagnostic Logging. Then run this update script: http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/Installer/Logos4Setup.exe. If the error reoccurs, attach the Logos4setup.log and DigitalLibraryInstall.log files in the Documents\Logos Log Files folder. (See Uploading Logs.)

Thanks,
Melissa

Anonymous | | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 3:13 PM

I think I "fixed" it on my own.  I renamed my Logos4 directory, then copied it back, under the assumtion this would clear out any permissions cobwebs.  (The disk had been restored from backup last week).  The result appears to have updated fine this time; let's hope the second 1.2 GB update goes well as I don't want to be downloading THAT multiple times. 

Anonymous | | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 3:14 PM

Oh, I should point out the backup was made under Vista, but the restore was done after upgrading  to Windows 7, so maybe something got out of whack in the transition.

Posts 35
David Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 11:59 AM

Jeff, thanks for the tip. That resolved the same error on my Windows 7 system. It was odd, I could add all permissions for "Everybody" on the whole folder tree, propogating all the way done, and the install would still fail. I copy the whole Logos4 folder to another folder and it works in the new folder.

Posts 22
Randy Radke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 4:01 PM

Try running as Administrator.  Right click on the Logos icon on your desktop and select "Run as Administrator."  I had a similar problem trying to upgrade several months ago and found that running as Administrator fixed the problem.

Posts 35
David Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 4:33 PM

Interesting. I had the same problem with several previous upgrades too. Yes, Run as Admin seems like a good thing to try, although it did not work for me in a previous upgrade. (What did work was directly executing the Logos4.msi in the UpdateManager folder.)

I will have to wait and see if doing Jeff's folder copy idea this time will put an end to these permission related update errors. If not, I will follow Melissa's recommendation and submit a log file. I'll keep you "updated"...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS