Do We Have Some in Logos?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8402
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 25 2018 7:25 PM

I was wondering if we had a dictionary or lexicon in Logos that has all the NT words with definitions, usage and cognates in it and same for the Old Testament.

I'm trying to save some money by setting up a PG for studying the Bible that covers everything The Complete Biblical Library covers.

From what the competition says (WS), the CBL has such dictionary/lexicon included in it along with a cool harmony of the Gospels called the Diatessaron that "interweaves all 4 gospel accounts into a single narrative, in modern English.  Every verse of all 4 Gospels is accounted for, but no verse is repeated."

If I could set up this Passage Guide (PG) and have it do all that the CBL does, then I won't need to purchase.  I have time to think about whether to purchase or not, but any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 19401
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2018 11:27 PM

DAL:
I was wondering if we had a dictionary or lexicon in Logos that has all the NT words with definitions, usage and cognates in it and same for the Old Testament.

Lexham Analytical Lexicons have brief definitions with usage and cognates => https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=Lexham+Analytical+Lexicon

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 8:45 AM

I went ahead and included in a custom PG all the dictionaries and lexicons (e.g. Complete Word Study OT&NT, BDAG, HALOT, DCH, NIDOTT, etc.), my top 10 Commentaries and all my my top English, Spanish and Greek/Hebrew texts of the Bible and apparatuses along with other works to create the same effect as the CBL, but with more in-depth resources. The CBL commentary is more like a Study Bible notes, useful, but not so much in-depth as this compilation I created in Logos. That with the many other features available in Logos , I just saved some money for a future L8 upgrade 👍😁👌Maybe if I see fit to buy the CBL I’ll do it in a future sale because it’s still a valuable work, but for now I’ll use what I have and maximize its potential. The only thing missing is the unique Harmony of the Gospel by Robert Shank.

DAL

Posts 2459
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 9:46 AM

DAL:
The only thing missing is the unique Harmony of the Gospel by Robert Shank.

Have you looked at the Parallel Gospel Reader Interactive? I believe one could pick the Harmony of your Choice (I have 7 available, but your options would depend upon your library). I sorted by Matthew's Order and could just scroll down reading the gospel account of my choosing for each event.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 8402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 10:00 AM

Thanks David, but the Harmony of the Gospels I want is called the Diatessaron because it "interweaves all 4 gospel accounts into a single narrative, in modern English.  Every verse of all 4 Gospels is accounted for, but no verse is repeated." So one story made out of four. I’ll keep looking around or think of something. I’m not in a rush for that one yet.

DAL

Posts 25209
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 10:04 AM

Are you aware the Diatessaron is available in Logos?

Posts 12104
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 10:05 AM

DAL:
the Harmony of the Gospels I want is called the Diatessaron because it "interweaves all 4 gospel accounts into a single narrative, in modern English.  Every verse of all 4 Gospels is accounted for, but no verse is repeated." So one story made out of four.

This is something Tatian produced in the Early Church - you'll have it most probably in your library in ANF Vol 9.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2459
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 10:14 AM

NB.Mick:
you'll have it most probably in your library in ANF Vol 9.
Good advice Graham & NB!

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 8402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 10:45 AM

Wow 😮 I have it! I guess I just saved some money on this whole CBL deal. Thanks guys for pointing this out!

DAL

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 11:28 AM

DAL, please go ahead and get mad at me. But really?? CBL??  I am absolutely confident your library, and Logos far surpasses CBL. Is it the discount?

Then there's Tatian. First, it's a translation from ??? (syriac). Thense to english. Fragments from ???  Certainly interesting. But your ESV might be a safer bet.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 8402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2018 12:23 PM

Denise:

DAL, please go ahead and get mad at me. But really?? CBL??  I am absolutely confident your library, and Logos far surpasses CBL. Is it the discount?

Then there's Tatian. First, it's a translation from ??? (syriac). Thense to english. Fragments from ???  Certainly interesting. But your ESV might be a safer bet.

No, I’m not going to get mad 😁 I’m actually relieved that I won’t be buying CBL. I found an old Logos thread that stated we can do the same and better than CBL with what we have in Logos; so, yeah, I believe it now more than ever 👍😁👌 no CBL only “sermon archives and lessons from the competition which has more variety than Logos.

Have a blessed Memorial Day weekend!

DAL

Posts 45
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2018 4:08 AM

Hello DAL,

I am intrigued by your PG that you describe. Would you be willing to post a screen shot of how you have your resources set up in that PG? I find I can re-create things in Logos better if I see how someone has set theirs up. Thanks for considering!

Grace,

Chris 

Posts 8402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2018 8:41 AM

Chris Garrett:

Hello DAL,

I am intrigued by your PG that you describe. Would you be willing to post a screen shot of how you have your resources set up in that PG? I find I can re-create things in Logos better if I see how someone has set theirs up. Thanks for considering!

Grace,

Chris 

Absolutely! I will post a screenshot when I get back. I’m out of town at the moment.

Have a blessed long weekend!

DAL

Posts 8402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2018 12:24 PM

Here you go! I thought I was leaving right after services, but it'll be later.  Anyway, this simple set up surpasses the CBL...I named it CBL Mock Set Up for now, but you can name it whatever you want once you set it up the way you want.  This helps you work through the text first and then consult commentaries, journals, sermons, etc.  The sermons part, outlines and more are not visible since they're at the bottom.

DAL

Posts 45
Chris Garrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2018 12:28 PM

Got it. Thank you! This helps. Have a great weekend!

blessings,

Chris

Posts 109
Joey Midgett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2018 3:41 PM

Thank you, this was very helpful in setting up my own PG. I didn't even realize we could do that. I love my Logos... :^)

Posts 8402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2018 3:49 PM

Joey Midgett:

Thank you, this was very helpful in setting up my own PG. I didn't even realize we could do that. I love my Logos... :^)

I learned that from MP’s book Inductive Bible Study. I set up an Inductive PG for studying 1 Timothy and then realized you can add different custom set ups. Logos is indeed a great tool! Gotta love it!

DAL

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2018 4:01 AM

What makes any Guide really work is Prioritization. Even with three Commentaries sections you still need your favourite commentaries to be listed first e.g. I prioritize 10 commentaries from each collection in PG so I don't have to sift through a list of 40+ commentaries. Prioritise your lexicons for the Word by Word section.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2018 8:23 AM

Dave Hooton:

What makes any Guide really work is Prioritization. Even with three Commentaries sections you still need your favourite commentaries to be listed first e.g. I prioritize 10 commentaries from each collection in PG so I don't have to sift through a list of 40+ commentaries. Prioritise your lexicons for the Word by Word section.

Good point Dave!  There’s no use in adding custom sections in a custom PG if the resources are not prioritized. 👍😁👌

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS