Topic Guides: Make Logos do what it does best... better

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 128
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 27 2018 8:51 PM

Hi Logos developers

I thank God for you, this tool helps me study God's word, its great.

One of the most powerful things is the topic guide. When friends are trying to decide between Logos and competitors, one thing I tell them is that Logos is better at taking you to resources you own on a topic.

However, one way Devs could make Logos better without too much effort is by making the Topic Guide return more complete results.

For example, if I do a topic guide for the Hebrew scholar Samuel Driver, I get results for Oxford Dictionary... But I don't get a link to the Jewish Encyclopedia, which also has an article on Driver.

You charge $100 for that resource, so it would be nice if it showed up in Topic Guide results.

Likewise for the Baptist Encyclopedia. And so on. 

Could you task an intern to do a couple of weeks grunt work of tagging these encyclopaedias and others so they show up in our Guides?

Posts 4834
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2018 2:55 AM

To all the tagging of Logos Books there is no end.  

I don't disagree it would be nice if these are topically tagged and showed up both in Topic Guide and Factbook but in my library with a quick search I found additional works you could argue should also be tagged topically so they come up under both Factbook and topic guide.

eg. 

• Historical Handbook of Major Biblical Interpreters
  • Dictionary of Major Biblical Interpreters
  • New International Dictionary of the Christian Church

It's a problem that is going to take more throwing an intern at it for a couple of weeks to do some  grunt work.  At some point you will add other resources to your library and find they are not tagged to show up in Topic Guide / Factbook.  And you will then want another intern to go back and tag those resources. 

To all the tagging of Logos books there is not end.

If we could get the five titles you and I have come up re-worked with the additional tagging then that would be a starting point at least.  

Posts 24568
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2018 4:29 AM

Andrew116:

For example, if I do a topic guide for the Hebrew scholar Samuel Driver, I get results for Oxford Dictionary... But I don't get a link to the Jewish Encyclopedia, which also has an article on Driver.

You charge $100 for that resource, so it would be nice if it showed up in Topic Guide results.

Likewise for the Baptist Encyclopedia. And so on. 

As a workaround, include those encyclopedias (with others) in a collection that you put into the Collections section of the guide.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 928
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2018 4:44 AM

The lack of Factbook support for all dictionaries and encyclopedias continues to be the reason why I manually search a collection of those resources for "large text" and "heading text" (and deal with false positives) rather than using Factbook as the one-stop shop it was intended to be. Faithlife has made some improvements since Factbook was released (which are greatly appreciated!), but this has been an ongoing problem, even for dictionaries/encyclopedias that have been included in base packages.

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/129548/842807.aspx has a list of several other resources that are missing support.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS