OT: Bibleworks ceases operation as of June 15, 2018

Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 59 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 10234
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 9:22 PM

Since BW will no longer be a Logos competitor, I think this is ok-ish?

If you don't have BW (I don't), picking up a copy can be a good idea (depending on your interests):

- They plan to maintain system compatibility updates for a good while; basically just no major updates. Forum active and knowlegebase available.

- Runs on either Windows or Mac

- Almost 1/2 price. Can download (huge) or a thumb-drive

They have quite a bit I currently can't get from Logos, so I'll likely get v10, plus several aramaic pieces. Sort of how I have Accordance & Carta.

Posts 1434
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 1 2018 11:02 PM

Denise:
If you don't have BW (I don't), picking up a copy can be a good idea (depending on your interests):

Learning a new user interface can be challenge. But i am tempted.

Lemma searches are good in Logos, but they are limited to pre-tagged meanings, for example Hebrew "Adam".

Sometimes I would like to find all words "Adam" אדמ regardless of the pre-tagged sense or vowel marks. I guess BW can do it.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 17990
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 5:18 AM

Veli Voipio:
Sometimes I would like to find all words "Adam" אדמ regardless of the pre-tagged sense or vowel marks.

[match nomarks] אדם

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1434
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 6:20 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Keep Smiling Smile

Incredible! Thanks a lot KS4J! I did not know that, sorry Embarrassed, should have checked the help...

I have to use two searches, for מ and ם , but it works!

[match nomarks] *אדם*

[match nomarks] *אדמ*

The searches with the asterisks take long time, but I don't care.

Saved my day and perhaps some money. Bob might also be happy!

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1344
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 6:38 AM

I've never used BW. But considering how commonly used it is among seminarians and pastors, and the fact that it is closing down and now on sale for half price for 2 more weeks, is it worth purchasing it now?  Note: I'm not familiar with the OL's.

Thanks,

Peter

Posts 50
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 7:36 AM

Denise:

Since BW will no longer be a Logos competitor, I think this is ok-ish?

- They plan to maintain system compatibility updates for a good while; basically just no major updates. Forum active and knowlegebase available.

- Runs on either Windows or Mac

- Almost 1/2 price. Can download (huge) or a thumb-drive

They have quite a bit I currently can't get from Logos, so I'll likely get v10, plus several aramaic pieces. Sort of how I have Accordance & Carta.

I have been considering purchasing it as well; I did the same as you Denise, purchased some things in Accordance (primarily Carta resources and photo collections). Years ago I tried Bibleworks but was writing papers for seminary and they did not have access to journals and commentary resources I was looking for so went with Logos).

I am sorry to see time go out of business.

Posts 10234
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 7:47 AM

PL:

I've never used BW. But considering how commonly used it is among seminarians and pastors, and the fact that it is closing down and now on sale for half price for 2 more weeks, is it worth purchasing it now?  Note: I'm not familiar with the OL's.

Thanks,

Peter

Just my 2 cents. BW at this point is OL.  Absent that, it kind of reminds me of searching for an L2 Jerome Commentary, years later.

No offense to Logos, but they’re a theo closed shop, so supplement here and there. My main interest in this case is language transitions that speak to assumed meaning.

Posts 467
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 8:12 AM

PL:

Thanks,

Peter

Original language studies is the major strength of Bibleworks, so even though I love it, it is probably not worth the investment for someone who doesn't work with the OLs.

Posts 1377
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 11:33 AM

It’s sad. I’ve been a user since 1998, and have closed-beta tested their last several versions. Bibleworks still does some things llogos can’t, and does some of the same things better. Godspeed, Bibleworks. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 8
DaveR | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 3 2018 9:09 AM

Ben:
Bibleworks still does some things llogos can’t, and does some of the same things better. Godspeed, Bibleworks. 

I haven't used Logos for original language work. Perhaps Logos also does some things better, so I'm just assuming roughly similar functionality, given whatever trade-offs.  Has anyone calculated what it would cost for BibleWorks users to get the same thing in Logos? -- including all the original language texts that are morphologically searchable: OT, NT, pseudepigrapha, apocrypha, various TRs, byzantine text, Philo, Josephus, church fathers, and targums. The dozen German translations. Etc.

I'm still using BW 9 and would have to spend $200 to move to BW 10 to secure compatibility with future operating systems (for the foreseeable future).

Thanks!

Dave

Posts 10234
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 3 2018 9:25 AM

While you’re waiting for a formal answer, dream on. Accordance might come close, but even then.

The problem is they packaged so much into $389 ($199 currently) that they could ‘sell cheap’.

In Logos, you can almost do OL for free (Starter) but then most want the bells (specific OL texts, LXX, Josephus) and then the whistles (pseud, targums, fathers, etc). Bibles!  So then you start rationalizing package content.

Posts 18
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2018 8:19 PM

BibleWorks does indeed focus on original language study and resources, but they have a ton of other resources like full tagged Greek/English versions of Josephus and Philo, Wallace's Greek Grammar beyond the Basics, etc... They also have the CNTTS resource with notated images of the original texts (mss: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 012, 032, 1141. Then look at all the English and non-English versions all included as part of the base package. This would all quickly add up to more than $200 in Logos. (Please note, I'm not defending BW over against Logos. BW is closing up, so no need to defend it. I'm a long time user of BW, but I also have Logos 7 Gold and a ton of additional resources I've purchased over the years.)

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2018 5:27 AM

It looks like Logos will be releasing two packages for former BibleWorks customers who are looking to move to Logos:

No word on pricing yet.

Posts 2205
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2018 5:57 AM

I would really like to see a special pricing on the CNTTS for BW owners. Seems to be the biggest missing piece from both the Logos and Acc. crossover packages.

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2018 6:34 AM

Mark Barnes:

It looks like Logos will be releasing two packages for former BibleWorks customers who are looking to move to Logos:

Sounds like I won't be eligible for these since the product pages say they are "exclusively" for BibleWorks owners, but I wish Logos would make more packages like these. They both seem like "meat and potatoes" packages without much fluff. Core resources that focus on the text. More of this (for everyone), please!!

Posts 10234
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2018 6:38 AM

Mark Barnes:

No word on pricing yet.

I looked at the list. Maybe I'll be forced to crossgrade!! Or FL puts in an ownership as of date for sneaky ladies like me. I have most everything, plus CNTTS. Of course, I spent a hair more than $199. You really have to be amazed at what the 2 developers did, plus their support. I'd say there must have been some divine participation.

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2018 7:11 AM

Matthew:

Sounds like I won't be eligible for these since the product pages say they are "exclusively" for BibleWorks owners, but I wish Logos would make more packages like these. They both seem like "meat and potatoes" packages without much fluff. Core resources that focus on the text. More of this (for everyone), please!!

Totally agree - they do look like incredible bundles, and I'd love to see more of this.

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2018 8:23 AM

James McAdams:

Matthew:

Totally agree - they do look like incredible bundles, and I'd love to see more of this.

All you have to do is buy Bibleworks before June 15th, register it and then purchase the packages.  Then you will have the benefit of both Bibleworks 10 and the new Logos package!

Posts 2205
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2018 8:46 AM

Michael,

I think one of the reasons for the discounts is that the publishers will recognize that the user has already purchased a license to the resources and are offering a crossover price. If you do not own the resources in another software, you do not qualify for crossover pricing.

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2018 8:51 AM

John,

That's why I suggest buying Bibleworks to be eligible for the cross grade.   Purchasing Bibleworks gives you the licenses for the resources.  That would make you eligible for the cross grade, wouldn't it?

Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS