Searching one resource with another?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 49
Mike Hogue | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 2 2018 7:32 AM

I'm studying the Psalms and recently obtained the Dictionary of Biblical Imagery...it would be nice if I could take a Psalm, build a word list for that Psalm, and then find all of the words that have entries in my dictionary. Is there a way to do that?  Can the concordance tool somehow be leveraged to search (or find an intersection somehow) with the entry titles in the other work?

This seems like it would be a good way to save time while ensuring thorough research...

Posts 23214
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 2 2018 7:58 AM

Mike Hogue:
I'm studying the Psalms and recently obtained the Dictionary of Biblical Imagery...it would be nice if I could take a Psalm, build a word list for that Psalm, and then find all of the words that have entries in my dictionary. Is there a way to do that?  Can the concordance tool somehow be leveraged to search (or find an intersection somehow) with the entry titles in the other work?

Interesting idea - but I can't think of any way of doing it directly.

Some things to try.

The Concordance Tool could provide the reverse of what I think you are asking but it could still be useful.

Here I've run the Concordance on the dictionary you mentioned, selected "Reference" and opened the entry to Psalm 1. This shows all the times the dictionary makes a reference to that particular Psalm. So it isn't matching on words but might go some way towards what you are looking for

In a Search you can specify multiple search terms. In the example below I am searching for three terms but only requesting a match if they are Headings in the dictionary. If you were able to create a list of this form to act as input into the search panel it could give what you want.

Do either of these help at all?

Posts 49
Mike Hogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 3 2018 7:49 AM

Thanks Graham - yes, they are helpful as a starting point. It's not exactly what I was hoping to be able to do, but will provide useful information. 

I suppose that even the nature of what I'm trying to do is slightly flawed, since the Dictionary of Biblical Imagery is based on English inputs and the searches for individual words within a translation would probably risk being incomplete to the plethora of good but different translations. This method -- creating the concordance with the Dictionary and keying on references --  would identify the key images in a Psalm that were specifically referenced by the authors of the Dictionary, and that's useful. 

The second method of including several comma-separated terms could work as well, but definitely leaves me open to overlooking what might be an insightful image that I take for granted. Unless I looked for all interesting words (@V, @N, and @J?) I'd risk missing something. Perhaps I need to find a way to export all of these key terms into a CSV list to copy and paste into a search...

I appreciate you taking the time to help!

Mike 

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2018 3:58 AM

Mike Hogue:
Perhaps I need to find a way to export all of these key terms into a CSV list to copy and paste into a search...

That can be done. From memory, the steps are:

1. Do a morph search for the words you want.
  2. Switch to analysis view
  3. Export to a spreadsheet
  4. Filter the lemma column to show only unique values (you may need to delete the other columns first).
  5. Copy those values into a word-processor, and replace carriage returns with commas.
  6. Paste the result into your Logos search.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS