Changing LORD to Yahweh

Page 2 of 6 (113 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 112 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 11757
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 3:10 PM

Steve Mehaffey:
But it looks especially funny if the two words are together (like "the" and "LORD") and the extra element shows up twice in a row..  Would you want it to be coded so that highlighting that changes text font/color/etc. is applied to both words but extra elements like Label Text are only applied to one word?  For example both "the" and "LORD" could be highlighted in red but only "LORD" would get the superscript label.  That would require some extra level of distinction to tell which work gets which parts of the highlighting.

Yes, that's exactly what I was suggesting. But I'm sure some people prefer the existing method for other searches.

Posts 5513
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 3:44 PM

Pretty cool.

However, I find that it does mess up the LHI. So in the LHI I unselected the visual filter that included that entry and all returned to normal. The AFAT (Andersen-Forbes) does this too.  My version of the BHS doesn't have an issue. I don't know if any other Hebrew texts would be affected.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 11757
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 3:50 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
So in the LHI I unselected the visual filter that included that entry and all returned to normal.

It would probably be more efficient to apply the visual filter search just to a collection of English Bibles.

Posts 5513
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 3:59 PM

Mark Barnes:
It would probably be more efficient to apply the visual filter search just to a collection of English Bibles.

Or at least non-original language Bibles. The filter also works in the one Spanish reverse interlinear (RVR60) as well (though it uses Jehová - reducing the need for the identifier). As far as I know, the RVR60 is the only reverse interlinear in a language other than English.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 22415
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 5:59 PM

Mark Barnes:

Here's a string, which ought to work, but doesn't

(<Lemma = af/he/יהוה> ANDEQUALS Lord) AFTER 1 WORD the

It adds the "Yahweh" in twice - once for each word. Is that a bug?

The search works but double-counts the results from the ANDEQUALS expression. I don't like it but Logos wants to count each word ie. by design.

EDIT: sorry, wrong context!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 6:04 PM

It would be very cool if search could be given the ability to search all highlighting fields, including custom ones now.

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 615
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 6:40 PM

The only other problem I see here is that you probably will want to limit this to only English Bibles. When I applied it to all Bibles it changes my Hebrew texts.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 218
John Nerdue | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 6:43 PM

Love this thanks

Posts 23681
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 6:47 PM

Like this?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 11:39 PM

Hi Jacob,

Super!  Thanks for sharing this!

Charlene

Posts 11757
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 1:08 AM

Jonathan:
The only other problem I see here is that you probably will want to limit this to only English Bibles. When I applied it to all Bibles it changes my Hebrew texts.

As discussed above, visual filters can be restricted to particular collections to achieve exactly this.

Posts 615
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 6:53 AM

Hmmm... For some reason I did not read/see that there was already a post about this above. Weird, I must have been sleeping.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 2801
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 8:34 AM

Tom Geswein:

I tried tying the filter to "the LORD" and it seems to be working and replacing "the" as well.   Please correct me if I'm wrong:

This also seems to work for bibles that do not have a reverse interlinear.

Tom this would work if Yahweh was the underlying word behind every instance of "The Lord" in the OT. But it isn't. There are times when Yahweh is not translated: "The Lord". And there are times when "The Lord" didn't come from Yahweh (See my example from Is 6).

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2801
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 8:48 AM

I just added slave as well:

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 9:02 AM

Mark Barnes:

Joe Miller:
One filter finds all OT occurrences of "the Lord" in English and the second creates the insert for YHWH.

Except they don't always match, do they?

If you do it this way, they match:

That gives me:

And if I set the color to white and the size to 20% (in addition to the superscript) in the first style, I can make the original text practically disappear:

(Although having a white style in the styles list also makes the style entry seem to disappear Huh? )

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Moving Logos between systems / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad T520

Posts 11757
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 9:12 AM

Well done Todd! That's the best yet.

Posts 2750
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 10:13 AM

Yes, good solutions.  I started working on this a few weeks ago and was doing a strikethrough of the old text, but I also like the superscript solution you have used better. :-)

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2750
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 10:49 AM

Todd, can you do a screen shot of your settings for the custom Highlights?

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2613
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 12:17 PM

Mark Barnes:

Hey Mark, you'll need the mileneium stadium for a church if you adopt this method for church growth, a bit too liberal for my tastes Stick out tongue

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 3074
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 12:40 PM

The solution is particularly helpful (time saving) for English Bibles that do not distinguish between the translations of YHWH and adonai (such as, inexplicably in my books, the NKJV).

Jacob, I love the filder for doulos (= slave instead of servant). Wished I could do this in my print Bible!

The other one I have often wished for but might be trickier to implement even in Logos 4 is to signal which second person pronouns (you) are singular and which are plural and to do so in a way that is not visually excessive (or perhaps the focus should be on verbs, not pronouns). Considering how the initial idea was even improved in this thread, perhaps the collective wisdom can come up with a wonderful idea for this too?

Thanks again, Jacob, Todd and others for sharing.

Blessings,

Francis

Page 2 of 6 (113 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.