Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 22
Rob | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 12 2018 4:06 AM

The First Testament, a New Translation

by John Goldingay

IVP Academic

Forthcoming September 2018 

Awash in a sea of Bible translations, do we need yet another?

Most translations bend the text toward us. They make the rough places smooth, the odd bits more palatable to our modern sensibilities. In every translation something is gained and something lost.

In The First Testament: A New Translation, John Goldingay interrupts our sleepy familiarity with the Old Testament. He sets our expectations off balance by inviting us to hear the strange accent of the Hebrew text. We encounter the sinewed cadences of the Hebrew Bible, its tics and its textures. Translating words consistently, word by word, allows us to hear resonances and see the subtle figures stitched into the textual carpet. In a day of white-bread renderings of the Bible, here is a nine-grain translation with no sugar or additives.

In The First Testament the language of Zion comes to us unbaptized in pious religiosity. Familiar terms such as salvation, righteousness, and holiness are avoided. We cock our ears to listen more carefully, to catch the intonations and features we had not caught before

Posts 20
Lloyd Pietersen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2018 2:10 AM

This would be a great addition!

Posts 1513
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2018 5:38 AM

I received a review copy yesterday! So far, its AWESOME! It would be a great addition to Logos

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 459
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 7:26 AM

While I am still waiting for it to arrive, I believe his translation is also available (alongside NT Wright's translation of the New Testament) in The Bible for Everyone, published by SPCK. 

Posts 1115
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 7:42 AM

I'd be very interested!

Posts 2877
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2018 8:15 AM

Yes

Posts 459
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 24 2018 8:48 PM

If anyone is interested in how Goldingay handles particular passages, let me know. :)

Posts 18355
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2018 4:43 PM

Nick Steffen:

While I am still waiting for it to arrive, I believe his translation is also available (alongside NT Wright's translation of the New Testament) in The Bible for Everyone, published by SPCK. 

Goldingay's translation in The Bible for Everyone isn't identical to his translation in The First Testament. It's similar, but not quite the same. For example:

In The Bible for Everyone:

Yahweh said to Abram, “Get yourself from your country, your home, and your father’s household to the country that I will show you, and I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you and make your name great and you will become a blessing." (Gen 12:1-2)

My shepherd being Yahweh, I do not lack;
he enables me to lie down in grassy pastures.
He leads me to waters that are totally still;
he restores my life. (Ps 23:1-2)

In The First Testament:

Yahweh said to Abram, "Get yourself from your country, from your homeland, and from your father’s household, to the country that I shall enable you to see, and I shall make you into a big nation. I shall bless you and make your name big and you’ll become a blessing." (Gen 12:1-2)

My shepherd being Yahweh, I don’t lack;
he enables me to lie down in grassy pastures.
He leads me to settled water;
he turns my life back. (Ps 23:1-3)

Posts 62
Benjamin Ho | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 6:53 PM

The First Testament may not be on pre-pub yet but The Bible For Everyone is on pre-pub now.

https://www.logos.com/product/168029/the-bible-for-everyone 

Posts 18355
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 23 2018 9:07 PM

Benjamin Ho:

The First Testament may not be on pre-pub yet but The Bible For Everyone is on pre-pub now.

https://www.logos.com/product/168029/the-bible-for-everyone 

Yes

Posts 2835
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 26 2018 11:32 AM

Hi Rosie, I miss you. I never forget the time you were sleep less to help me. There was even a time you sent me recorded explanation. God bless you. I am glad to see you again on the forums. 

Blessings in Christ.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS