Ben Sirach in Hebrew

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 248
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2018 11:24 AM

I was wondering if anyone can recommend to me a logos product with ben sirach in Hebrew (The portions that have been found that is).

I know it’s available fully vocalized for free at sefaria but I would like to have it and other extra-Biblical books available in Hebrew integrated in Logos.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Dead languages are my mid-life crisis

Posts 10262
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 15 2018 1:21 PM

I have this resource in my library, but I cannot find it in the Logos store

Cowley, A. E., & Neubauer, A. (Eds.). (1897). The Original Hebrew of a Portion of Ecclesiasticus: Hebrew Text. Oxford: The Clarendon Press.

Found it: It is part of a Classic Commentaries collection, but that would be rather expensive if you did not want the rest of the collection. 

classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-the-biblical-apocrypha-deuterocanon

It is also available as part of Textual Variants Collection (48 vols.) which is a good bit less expensive.

Mac Logs | PC Logs | Install 

Posts 248
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2018 2:30 AM

Thanks Jack!

I was eyeballing the textual variants collection as it's on sale now.  

You gave me another reason to put a check in the pro column. 

Posts 248
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2018 11:01 AM

Thank you HJ.

Funny, I actually have the first resource you listed; I was unaware that I had it Stick out tongue (I was looking for face in hand emoji)

Formatting not so enjoyable, especially for copy paste but nice to have it in logos already.

Thanks much for the tip

Posts 248
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2018 11:02 AM

Thank you Mark, that looks very good.

I'll bookmark it.

Posts 12641
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 28 2018 1:14 PM

Jeremiah:
Formatting not so enjoyable, especially for copy paste but nice to have it in logos already.

You can always turn off the interlinear, of course.

Posts 248
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 8 2018 1:55 AM

Thanks Mark, turning off interlinear simply removes the Greek from under the Hebrew.

I meant the weird slashes separating all the parts of speech per word and in between the words. 

Imagine: read/ing / about / people/'s journ/ies / with / format/t/ing ... (then drop the vowels)

rd/ng / bt ppl/'s / jrn/s / wth / frmt/t/ng ...

It's not so intolerable for a verse or 2 but really seems this resource does not make use of Logos functionality.

Any way read this comment as intended, I'm happy to have ben sira at all in Hebrew!

Posts 9379
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 8 2018 10:10 AM

Tov's Parallel was an old Libby (or earlier?) resource. It still has the Libby intro. At Logos4, they built their own, which is still the 'root' of their hebrew analytics, I think.

You didn't ask, but the best (Logos) almost-apparatus is in the Cambridge Bible series, and primarily works off the hebrew, but notes LXX, Peshitta, etc differences.  Tov's reconstruction (the line you hid) is definitely a plus/minus (but confuses the eye).

https://www.logos.com/product/8544/the-cambridge-bible-for-schools-and-colleges 

Oddly, Logos chose not to offer Sirach stand-alone. I will never understand Bellingham logic.

AnchorYale has considerably more depth in Sirach, and also primarily uses the hebrew. But Cambridge is good for quick glances.

Of course, if you took advantage of the Bibleworks sale, there's a nice hebrew and apparatus for Ben Sira. Plus a PDF dicussion/details.

Posts 1154
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 9 2018 1:47 AM

Denise:

Oddly, Logos chose not to offer Sirach stand-alone. I will never understand Bellingham logic.

Link to the CBSC volume on Sirach: https://www.logos.com/product/16763/the-wisdom-of-jesus-the-son-of-sirach-or-ecclesiasticus 

And another commentary recommendation: https://www.logos.com/product/4237/the-apocrypha-and-pseudepigrapha-of-the-old-testament-in-english 

Posts 9379
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 9 2018 7:46 AM

Thank you, HJ! 

That's a strange one. Logos produced the commentary and common book cover. But only Maccabees 1 was CBSC'd. 

I also noticed on Logos.com, the commentary is (almost) in Bible book order. That's pretty revolutionary. They're supposed to be mixed up.

Posts 248
Jeremiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 19 2018 8:07 AM

Denise:

Tov's Parallel was an old Libby (or earlier?) resource. It still has the Libby intro. At Logos4, they built their own, which is still the 'root' of their hebrew analytics, I think.

You didn't ask, but the best (Logos) almost-apparatus is in the Cambridge Bible series, and primarily works off the hebrew, but notes LXX, Peshitta, etc differences.  Tov's reconstruction (the line you hid) is definitely a plus/minus (but confuses the eye).

AnchorYale has considerably more depth in Sirach, and also primarily uses the hebrew. But Cambridge is good for quick glances.

Of course, if you took advantage of the Bibleworks sale, there's a nice hebrew and apparatus for Ben Sira. Plus a PDF dicussion/details.

I have Anchor Yale but it doesn't show the original Hebrew, just the notes about it.

There's a very nice pointed public domain version available but I'd really like it within Logos ...

Man I can't believe I missed out on BibleWorks for a couple hundred bucks; I got a birthday coming up too!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS