New to Mac...question about hardware and question about software

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 38
Roberto Bustamante | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 13 2010 5:16 PM

Hi everyone, 

I would appreciate some help.  First, a hardware question.

1.  I plan on buying a macbook pro, 13in.  Will this be sufficient to run Logos 4 Mac version when it is complete?  I plan on using this mac as a pure mac, meaning i won't be running parallels or vmware on it, nor will i be doing boot camp on it (hopefully i'm speaking about these programs in the right way, if i'm not, go easy on me).  

I will be getting the 2.4ghz, 4gb ram machine.  Do I need to get a higher model to run logos 4 mac quickly.  I don't want to spend too much money, but at the same time i don't want to be waiting around on a mac that will be lagging.  anyways, hope that makes sense.

2.  I know that logos 4 mac is still being worked on.  right now, i do not need the awesome tools that make logos 4, well, awesome.  i just need access to my library so that i can use it as such...a library from which i can read my resources and work as if i had the physical book next to me.  is the program up to date with that...just simply making my books accessible?

I have a whole bunch of other questions, but those are my main two.  If there are those out there who have used Scrivener and Devonthink as research writing tools, I would love to hear your thoughts on those programs. 

Thanks so much.  I am very blessed by the forums and will look forward to any responses that may come my way.  Please, be as specific as possible!  My finger is hovering over the "order" button as we "speak".

Roberto

Posts 82
James Ng | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 6:25 PM

I have the 15" version of your machine. 2.4GHz MacBook Pro and 4GB RAM.

I'm running Logos 4 Mac Alpha 19.1 and it has been fine for me performance-wise except for when it is indexing. When it is indexing it'll sometimes slowdown for me when I'm scrolling text, but its been much improved over the last few betas.

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 7:14 PM

RobertoBustamante:

1.  I plan on buying a macbook pro, 13in.  Will this be sufficient to run Logos 4 Mac version when it is complete?  I plan on using this mac as a pure mac, meaning i won't be running parallels or vmware on it, nor will i be doing boot camp on it (hopefully i'm speaking about these programs in the right way, if i'm not, go easy on me).  

I will be getting the 2.4ghz, 4gb ram machine.  Do I need to get a higher model to run logos 4 mac quickly.  I don't want to spend too much money, but at the same time i don't want to be waiting around on a mac that will be lagging.  anyways, hope that makes sense.

Currently, there are no second-class Mac systems being sold. Even the lowest end systems are more than enough. 

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 6
David Harp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 8:04 PM

Rick - you will be PAINFULLY sorry if you intend to buy a Mac and try to run Logos Mac on it right now.  I have a mac and UNFORTUNATELY I have to run the sorry windows stuff with fusion to make Logos a decent work/study product.  Customers are told and told that Logos is "fully committed" to Mac.  A ton of people have waited a long, long time for this reality.  I teach young students as you do - and believe me I am PRO-LOGOS but my twenty years will not wait any longer for Logos.  In my opinion a public post from Logos would help a lot of people as they make decisions.  So we say what has been said and repeated - "It's coming, it's coming."  If you buy a Mac - get fusion or parallels if you intend to use Logos on your Mac in 2010.

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 8:16 PM

David, I think you have me confused with the original poster. I already have a Mac (a number of them actually).

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 8:20 PM

RobertoBustamante:
2.  I know that logos 4 mac is still being worked on.  right now, i do not need the awesome tools that make logos 4, well, awesome.  i just need access to my library so that i can use it as such...a library from which i can read my resources and work as if i had the physical book next to me.  is the program up to date with that...just simply making my books accessible?
Yes, you will have no problem simply opening up books to read them.  

If you want a peek at what works as of Alpha 18, this thread has some screenshots I posted.  It is not updated with A19 though.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/16126/122293.aspx#122293

Blessings,

PS

I use the Mac version to do my weekly sermon prep, and it does the job.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 8:22 PM

Seems to me that David's response ought to be deleted since he doesn't respond to the OP or his questions which clearly state that he is just looking to use his Mac as an "e-reader" for now.  Also, David is responding to Rick, but somehow reads into Rick's thoughts or something because I don't see the connection.  To me, David seems to have gratuitously taken a shot at Logos.  I suggest you just start a new thread David and do a search on the forums because Logos has been very forthcoming with comments regarding LMac4.

I just get upset when we Christians aren't being very Christian-like.  I am a fellow struggler too, so please hold me accountable when I need it too. AngelDevilAngel

Posts 19
Robert Gibbs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 9:09 PM

Hi there,

I have a very similar machine and find that Logos runs quite well on here.  The program itself still has the occasional issue due to it being in the Alpha stage, but I have yet to encounter any significant problems.  If all you are looking to do for now is read, you're in business.  I have all my resources on here, and am able to read them with no problems.  I had never used Logos before, decided last Fall that I wanted to purchase it, and figured that with the Alpha, something was better than nothing.  I have rarely been disappointed (there a few things I wish it could do that it cannot or I have not figured out), and love having all these resources in one place.  

Robert G.

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 11:52 PM

I run Logos 4 on a 13" MacBook which is about 15 months old without any hardware-related problems.

Regarding David's post, above, this is an argument which gets repeated every now and then on these forums. The reality is that Logos haven't been particularly good at keeping their promises to Mac users in the past. I believe this was not intentional, but as a result the company is extremely reluctant to go public on timescales (once burned twice shy).

Mac users who have seen the Windows videos and do not know what they are getting into will be disappointed with the current alpha. However, for me actions speak louder than words. There is a new alpha release every fortnight and the development is coming on in leaps and bounds. For those of us prepared to run alpha software which is a little rough around the edges it is a very exciting time.

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Posts 4645
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 7:08 AM

Robert,

The L4 mac program is fine on my machine which is a bog standard 13in Mac Book. I think it performs better without having any of the windows stuff which it tries to sync with - and sometimes fails.

I get the occasional crash but for Passage Guide and Daily Readings and Word definitions it is absolutely useable on a daily basis.

It isn't perfect for any job, but it gets better and better and there is a positive bunch inhabiting this forum who are more than willing to share hints and tips with others.

Go for it

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 4
Jason R Read | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 8:58 AM

Roberto,

I bought the MacBook 13" with 2.26GHz and 2GB of ram.  I was a little bit worried about having sufficient ram, but decided to try before upgrading.  Thus far with A19 I have had no issues related to the computer running the software.  Obviously being in alpha stage the software has some glitches, but the progress made in the last few months is astonishing.  I worked for a company previously that produced its own software program, and I think most people using L4 don't have a clear grasp of how crazy fast Logos is putting out major updates.  There is still more work to be done, but I have no complaints on the job the Logos team has done thus far.

Regarding the Macbook Pro, they have glass over the screen which causes a pretty good glare.  That can be pretty annoying when using software that is designed to be read through.  And yes, all your books are available to be read.

Do it!  Order now!

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 10:05 AM

I am using an older MacBook and L4 A19.1 has been working fairly well. Any problems I have been having regarding speed is more of an issue of needing to free up space on my HD. So fare it works well for me, I can open my books, I also save workspaces so if there is a slight crash its pretty fast in putting it back. But that only usually happens if I am doing a lot of stuff. I use if for my daily Bible study and sermon prep. So it works well for me.

As far as Scrivener I've used it a little. It seems pretty good. I am not really sure how to use it as a research tool. There is a free version called Scrivener Gold, you should be able to google it. One of the nice things is the 30 Day Free Trial is actually a true 30 days. Each day is only counted if you actually open up the program. You can take 60 months or more to use it up. However once the Clippings Feature in L4 Mac is implemented you might end up using that more.

If you are looking for kind of a notebook type program there is a free program called Evernote, it works well and you can take notes on an iTouch/iPhone/iPad and sync it to the MacBook.

Posts 55
Dave Souers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 3:20 PM

Jason, 

Thanks for your honest post. I have a similar machine as you, but I upgraded to 4gb or RAM right after I bought it. You can find some stores on line that make the upgrade really affordable. I think I might have spent $60 for the upgrade and the performance upgrade has been well worth it. It's also very easy to do the RAM upgrade installation yourself. You can search youtube and find plenty of step by step videos. I would highly recommend the upgrade. 

As far as L4 A19.1, I find it to be very usable in regards to sermon and lesson prep. I use it every week and I am loving the updates that keep coming. Keep up the great work guys. 

On a similar note, is anyone else getting anxious to upgrade to the new macbook pro with the i7 or i5 processor? I am waiting for my wife's PC to die, so I can pass along my macbook to her, and I can upgrade. Sadly, I don't think that it's going to be happening anytime soon. I will be content with what I have. I have decided that I need to stay out of Best Buy or the Apple store. Between the new Macbook Pro and the Ipad, I have been coveting.

Dave

Posts 38
Roberto Bustamante | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 3:30 PM

thanks everyone for the replies.  i really appreciate it.  looks like i will soon be having some fun with a mac!

please keep the posts coming because I really am gaining from all your insight.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 4:44 PM

Robert, if you have any questions about the actual purchase, let me know and I can help.

joe.miller [at] logos.com

Blessings

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 82
James Ng | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 5:56 PM

Dave Souers:

On a similar note, is anyone else getting anxious to upgrade to the new macbook pro with the i7 or i5 processor? I am waiting for my wife's PC to die, so I can pass along my macbook to her, and I can upgrade. Sadly, I don't think that it's going to be happening anytime soon. I will be content with what I have. I have decided that I need to stay out of Best Buy or the Apple store. Between the new Macbook Pro and the Ipad, I have been coveting.

I've been interested in the new MacBook Pro with the i7 CPU or possibly a Windows based i7 laptop when my wife goes back to school in the fall. Unfortunately I don't expect Apple to drop the price any they just keep refreshing at the same price points hence my hedging on maybe a Windows based i7 laptop (hoping it falls significantly).

I can at least take comfort in not wanting the iPad...or rather not wanting to pay for one, someone giving me one I wouldn't say no to, but I don't see the value in how I work today in it.

Those are the stories I keep telling myself at any rate Wink

Posts 10554
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 12:37 PM

JasonRRead:
Regarding the Macbook Pro, they have glass over the screen which causes a pretty good glare.  That can be pretty annoying when using software that is designed to be read through.  And yes, all your books are available to be read.

That is true only if you purchase the hi-gloss screen. Get the matte screen and you will have no glare, although it is slightly less bright.

Posts 10554
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 12:41 PM

Dave Souers:
I am waiting for my wife's PC to die…Sadly, I don't think that it's going to be happening anytime soon.

Have you considered a 16 ounce carpenter's tool? a large fire cracker? Geeked

Posts 42
Christopher Esget | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 3:59 PM

I'd definitely go with 4 GB RAM (more, if you can - my two Macs don't have capacity for more, but a newer Mac perhaps can use more) - Logos will run better with the extra help there. Apple charges a premium for RAM; I've had very good success buying additional gigs of RAM through Other World Computing. It is amazingly easy to install extra RAM yourself on a Mac.

I've been using Scrivener for the last four or five months, mostly for sermon writing. I love it. There's a good post here about how to use it for that purpose.

Posts 90
Chris Hulshof | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 6:31 PM

My five year old Inspiron 9300 had about all she could take.  The CD drive in non-functioning, the battery is dead, the power cords are both (I had one for home and one for work) are just short of fire hazard status.  I received a Best Buy gift card for Christmas and finally put it to use when the Mac Book Pro refresh came out.  I have the 15.4 i7 with 4GB of RAM and the Intel HD graphics card combined with the 512 dedicated Graphics card.  I have not noticed any difference in speed between L4 when I was running it on the original laptop purchase just after Christmas (Alienware M15x) and my MBP.  From my first couple of weeks messing around with the MBP and L4 for Mac I don't see any slowness or other CPU issues between L4 Mac and the new MBP.  Like others have said in here, I only regret not switching sooner.

Chris 

"If heaven ain't a gift I ain't gettin' in." - Lecrae Moore

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS