Collected Works of David Daube

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
This post has 0 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 12
bsc | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 16 2018 2:54 PM

Obituary from The Independent:

“DRIVEN FROM Germany in 1933, David Daube was one of that group of Jewish scholars who introduced new standards of scholarship to the universities of Britain. In an active scholarly career spanning more than six decades, he mastered three distinct fields: he began in biblical and Talmudic law, and Roman law, but his work on the Old Testament and Rabbinic sources led him more and more to the study of the Jewish background to New Testament texts and doctrines. As a victim of anti-Semitism, he saw this as his way of contributing to a greater understanding between Judaism and Christianity.”

Daube is acknowledged as “the twentieth century's preeminent scholar of ancient law.”

i became aware of his work while researching a sermon on Luke 22 and the Jewish customs of the Passover Seder.  I was particularly intrigued (from what I could find of Daube’s work on the internet) by his ideas regarding the afikomen as having Messianic implications, as set forth in “The Significance of the Afikomen” and “He That Cometh” in “Collected Works of David Daube: Vol 2: New Testament Judaism.”

I have ordered Vol 2 through a used bookseller as the series is out of print.

Here is a synopsis of the series:

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/library/robbins/pdf/DaubeContents1-4.pdf

Page 1 of 1 (1 items) | RSS