Android mobile app and Logos support. I have had enough.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 28
Chr | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 22 2018 4:49 AM

I have been a Logos user since 2012. I have invested $8641 in my library so far and intend to continue building it up because I see the tremendous potential of a tool to consolidate and streamline my reading, studying, mediating and memorizing the Scriptures. And this morning (and too many mornings the past few months) I sincerely regret my investment of time and money. The mobile app has been practically unusable the last few months and Logos has been aware (I have send dozens of support requests with logs) but in my mind has done very little so far (the problem persists). Maybe you are working hard behind the scenes and trying to address too many issues at hand but from my perspective (and from what I see here, for many others) it is not working. So day after day I continue to strive with an unresponsive app, extremely slow to load resources and very slow loading notes. Yes, I do have many notes. Many many notes. Yes, I have large note files (I keep splitting them into smaller ones). Notes are one of the main reasons I came to Logos. I have spend countless hours creating and formatting my notes. But my Logos notes have been far from a blessing these days.

I have a much different vision for my Logos investment. I want a tool that will facilitate and propel my study of the Scriptures. Instead it is now handicapping it. I am baffled that a product this expensive can be this poorly supported. I know these are strong words. I want to be heard.

I feel trapped. I am too vested to leave but it is at the same time practically unusable to me at this point. And I hate the feeling that Logos knows that. I have been frustrated for months now but have patiently waited for a fix. I have prayed God gives you what you need to fix it and will continue to pray.

Please help!

Posts 904
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 5:32 AM

Chris:

I have been a Logos user since 2012. I have invested $8641 in my library so far and intend to continue building it up because I see the tremendous potential of a tool to consolidate and streamline my reading, studying, mediating and memorizing the Scriptures. And this morning (and too many mornings the past few months) I sincerely regret my investment of time and money. The mobile app has been practically unusable the last few months and Logos has been aware (I have send dozens of support requests with logs) but in my mind has done very little so far (the problem persists). Maybe you are working hard behind the scenes and trying to address too many issues at hand but from my perspective (and from what I see here, for many others) it is not working. So day after day I continue to strive with an unresponsive app, extremely slow to load resources and very slow loading notes. Yes, I do have many notes. Many many notes. Yes, I have large note files (I keep splitting them into smaller ones). Notes are one of the main reasons I came to Logos. I have spend countless hours creating and formatting my notes. But my Logos notes have been far from a blessing these days.

I have a much different vision for my Logos investment. I want a tool that will facilitate and propel my study of the Scriptures. Instead it is now handicapping it. I am baffled that a product this expensive can be this poorly supported. I know these are strong words. I want to be heard.

I feel trapped. I am too vested to leave but it is at the same time practically unusable to me at this point. And I hate the feeling that Logos knows that. I have been frustrated for months now but have patiently waited for a fix. I have prayed God gives you what you need to fix it and will continue to pray.

Please help!

Chris

Is it possible it's your tablet?  I used to run an iPad, but now use 2 Androids - one using the latest App and one with an old version of the App, as it's an old tablet that isn't compatible with the latest updates.  I haven't experienced any problems, which is why I hesitantly ask if it's the tablet you're using.  I'm very definitely though not an IT expert.

Posts 1937
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 7:04 AM

Chris

I am not a tech guy either, but I also wonder if your phone or tablet is running an older operating system.  I have a samsung 3 phone and the app no longer works on that phone.  But the app works well on newer phones with newer operating systems.  I wonder if that possibly could be the issue?

The only thing I do not like with the android app is how long it takes to load up, especially if you have a lot of highlights in your Bible.  Other than that, I have found the app to be extremely useful.  This is why I am wondering if your equipment may be older and therefore not supporting the newer version of the app.

I suppose Logos could make available the old version of the app for older phones?  I just dont know.

Posts 904
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 7:29 AM

Mark:

Chris

I am not a tech guy either, but I also wonder if your phone or tablet is running an older operating system.  I have a samsung 3 phone and the app no longer works on that phone.  But the app works well on newer phones with newer operating systems.  I wonder if that possibly could be the issue?

The only thing I do not like with the android app is how long it takes to load up, especially if you have a lot of highlights in your Bible.  Other than that, I have found the app to be extremely useful.  This is why I am wondering if your equipment may be older and therefore not supporting the newer version of the app.

I suppose Logos could make available the old version of the app for older phones?  I just dont know.

You can download an old version of the Logos App from the Aptoide App store.  This will give you a version that works on your old phone.  I use this version on my old tablet.

Posts 1937
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 7:34 AM

Paul Caneparo:
the Aptoide App store.

Thanks Paul.  I did not know about this site

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 7:39 AM

Chris:
Notes are one of the main reasons I came to Logos. I have spend countless hours creating and formatting my notes. But my Logos notes have been far from a blessing these days.

I won't help in the short-term, but do know that Logos are completely re-doing the entire notes system. The new system is already active on the web-app, is at beta stage on desktop, and will then be making it's way to mobile. I have no idea how long that will take, but if you hang in there I'm sure you'll see significant improvement with the performance of notes on mobile.

Posts 611
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 7:39 AM

I had the case where the android app just bombed out every time I tried to open it. I left if for a couple of weeks, deleted it and then reinstalled it and it is working again now :-) 

Posts 904
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 7:57 AM

Mark:

Paul Caneparo:
the Aptoide App store.

Thanks Paul.  I did not know about this site

Open this site on your mobile and download the App

https://en.aptoide.com/installer

You may need to change download permissions.  I'd recommend only installing Apps from Aptoide that are marked TRUSTED with a Green Shield.  You can search "Logos Bible".  It will bring up a result, but if you look closely on the page it takes you too, you can click on Other Versions to get older versions if necessary.

Posts 28
Chr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 9:19 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions. Yes, it could be my tablet. But it should not be. I have noticed the app is a little better (not by much) on my Note 8. My tablet is a brand new Galaxy Tab S3. Neither one of them can be considered obsolete. And my frustration is that I have been sending Logos logs from this tablet for months now and nothing has changed. If it is the tablet, lets address that. What do I need to get to be able to use the mobile app? The phone app is not working properly either.

I could be wrong but the whole mess started when the tab version was introduced. Things got a lot worse for me after that point. 

Yes, I am hoping and waiting for them to redesign the notes and make the app usable again. Like I said, I don't have a choice.

Thanks again to those who responded!

Posts 904
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 9:31 AM

Chris:

Thank you all for the suggestions. Yes, it could be my tablet. But it should not be. I have noticed the app is a little better (not by much) on my Note 8. My tablet is a brand new Galaxy Tab S3. Neither one of them can be considered obsolete. And my frustration is that I have been sending Logos logs from this tablet for months now and nothing has changed. If it is the tablet, lets address that. What do I need to get to be able to use the mobile app? The phone app is not working properly either.

I could be wrong but the whole mess started when the tab version was introduced. Things got a lot worse for me after that point. 

Yes, I am hoping and waiting for them to redesign the notes and make the app usable again. Like I said, I don't have a choice.

Thanks again to those who responded!

Chris

On the Apoide store you can dowmdown the non-tabbed version of the Logos App.

Posts 28
Chr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 9:35 AM

Thanks Paul! I will try that. Yes

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 1:33 PM

Chris, perhaps it's a silly question, but how many tabs do you have open in the Android app? Some users fail to keep track of that and end up with dozens and dozens and dozens and....

Posts 28
Chr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 2:21 PM

SineNomine,

I usually have 3 tabs open. I have never had more than 6 open. 

Posts 975
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 22 2018 2:27 PM

SineNomine:
Some users fail to keep track of that and end up with dozens and dozens and dozens and.

Sad You have been peeking! 16 is the most that I have noticed at one time.

Posts 28
Chr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 6:25 AM

I installed the previous version and the problem disappears, which confirms that Logos has an issue with the tabbed version. And has had it since day one. Again, I am using the latest Samsung devices and the tabbed version is unusable. I wonder if this will be addressed soon.

Posts 172
Al Het | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2018 10:44 AM

My biggest, and ongoing frustration with Logos.  They work hard to bring cutting edge software to the Bible Software table.  This is very much liked, appreciated, pushed and encouraged by many people, including a significant amount of people on this forum.  Many Logos users like that they keep evolving Logos into newer, more complex software.

The biggest down side I've found is that users have to continue updating their computers, tablets, and phones to the newest, slickest stuff out there, to be able to functionally use their Bible Software.  Unfortunately, many of the people who most use Bible software are not the people with the money, or inclination to always keep buying the latest, greatest electronics, just to be able to access their Bibles, Commentaries, and Original Language tools.

And, it actually goes directly against the emphasis of the company early on.  "We sell books, not computer software.  The software is just the tool to access your electronic books."  I was told this exact thing several times, by several people at Logos, including Bob Pritchett himself, back in 1997. 

Things change, and this emphasis certainly changed in a major way.

Posts 28
Chr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2018 11:31 AM

I'm not really sure what the overall approach is (books or software) so I can't really comment on that. But in my case it's not the devices, it's the Logos software. It just does not work at this point. 

Posts 10120
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 29 2018 12:04 PM

Al Het:

My biggest, and ongoing frustration with Logos.  They work hard to bring cutting edge software to the Bible Software table.  This is very much liked, appreciated, pushed and encouraged by many people, including a significant amount of people on this forum.  Many Logos users like that they keep evolving Logos into newer, more complex software.

The biggest down side I've found is that users have to continue updating their computers, tablets, and phones to the newest, slickest stuff out there, to be able to functionally use their Bible Software.  Unfortunately, many of the people who most use Bible software are not the people with the money, or inclination to always keep buying the latest, greatest electronics, just to be able to access their Bibles, Commentaries, and Original Language tools.

And, it actually goes directly against the emphasis of the company early on.  "We sell books, not computer software.  The software is just the tool to access your electronic books."  I was told this exact thing several times, by several people at Logos, including Bob Pritchett himself, back in 1997. 

Things change, and this emphasis certainly changed in a major way.

Well, each time they upgrade their demands, they explain almost no one still uses the old stuff from a few years back. So, maybe Logos is just trying to keep up with its truly sophisticated customers.  "Pedal faster, Logos!!'

It amazes me since most of my regular apps and Bible apps all work on my truly ancient hardware ... except for Logos. Even the Logos web is the standalone that needs the latest. I think that's funny.  Granted, 'tablets' are still hazily out there and heretical. "Son, desktops are the preferred platform for studying God's Holy Inspired Word". Mouse!  Only YHWH can write with a finger.

But "on the other hand" Libby is a happy girl, what with her new friend Bibleworks. Gee ... that's another that works fine on older hardware. Probably they didn't have sophisticated users that preferred to run with the big dogs.

Posts 2236
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 30 2018 1:42 PM

I have been using the Android app on the latest Kindle Fire 10. For the most part, it's quite good and it's the first time I have been really pleased with Logos on a tablet. Considering how cheap the tablet is (compared to the $$$ iPad), I am absolutely delighted. It's fast, perfect for reading(the big plus for me getting this tablet), and I just get a whole lot more done. FWIW, my library is huge and now I am able to really dig into it. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS