Why? Why? = No uninstall tool available

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 66
Father Gregory | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 26 2018 9:08 PM

Hello everyone,

Why can there not be a simple way to uninstall the LOGOS program PLUS books with one click of the mouse?  It is just amazing too me that this feature is not available.

Why?

Posts 4624
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 12:13 AM

Father Gregory:

Hello everyone,

Why can there not be a simple way to uninstall the LOGOS program PLUS books with one click of the mouse?  It is just amazing too me that this feature is not available.

Why?

1. It is done so rarely that the inconvenience of several steps is not significant.

2. The disruption to work flow of accidentally offloading a library could be significant.

3. Uninstalling and reinstalling is rarely the the optimum way of solving program problems.

Posts 785
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 3:37 AM

I agree with Mike. Similarly, I wouldn't put a link to format my hard drive on my desk top. If FL ever added that feature, I'd want the ability to remove it.

L

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 4:02 AM

Father Gregory:

On Windows, you just go to "Add or Remove Programs", and uninstall. It's very simple, and it's how almost every other app uninstalls.

Posts 975
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 6:49 AM

But short of un-installing the operating system, uninstalling and re- installing most programs together with associated sub-programs normally only takes minutes. Uninstalling and re-installing logos with the library takes many many hours with a mediocre internet. And if you are in an area with no internet . . .

I am with Mike and Lew especially bearing in mind that a significant proportion of Logos users are not high tech users of computers.. 

Posts 9967
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 8:15 AM

JohnB:
uninstalling and re- installing most programs together with associated sub-programs normally only takes minutes.

I don't think so. Of course you need to compare complex programs of similar size - I only have MS Office that would come close, and this does not take minutes.

JohnB:
Uninstalling and re-installing logos with the library takes many many hours with a mediocre internet.

Uninstalling and re-installing will normally not be needed at all, and it is normally not even a suitable fix for issues. It may be necessary when someone switches from beta back to the latest stable version or so - this is not recommended anyway. For users who look into the forums (or into the wiki by themselves) there are options to reinstall without re-downloading the library, that don't require deep high tech skills. And again: people wouldn't reinstall Office when a formula in Excel doesn't show the expected results, and would search the web for solutions to their issues. In the case of Logos this should give much better answers to many issues, and forum advice will very often say: "don't reinstall the desktop app, it won't help (or if you do, here's how to avoid re-downloading the library".     

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2760
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 8:26 AM

Well, I'm not sure if there is any program that will allow you to uninstall with only ONE click of the mouse, but it's easy enough using the add/remove programs on Windows. Uninstalling Logos is straightforward and easy; It is the reinstallation that will test your nerves because of the length of time downloading and indexing. If you do plan on reinstalling, follow one of these methods to ease the pain of downloading and indexing (I use method 2). https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers 

Posts 27558
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 9:52 AM

Father Gregory:

Why?

I think Many have attempted to answer your question. Perhaps you can help us understand why you were trying to uninstall.  Maybe there is something else we can help you with. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 66
Father Gregory | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 10:03 AM

Thank you for asking this question.

My understanding is this:  I can uninstall the LOGOS program easily.  But I cannot uninstall the books using the same method.  So I have a lot of disk space occupied by the books and would like to free up this space.

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 10:11 AM

Father Gregory:

Thank you for asking this question.

My understanding is this:  I can uninstall the LOGOS program easily.  But I cannot uninstall the books using the same method.  So I have a lot of disk space occupied by the books and would like to free up this space.

Are you on Mac, or Windows? What method did you use to uninstall?

Posts 66
Father Gregory | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 10:42 AM

Hello,

I use Windows going to the control panel to uninstall the program.

Thank you.

Posts 17909
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 11:50 AM

JohnB:

Uninstalling and re-installing logos with the library takes many many hours with a mediocre internet. And if you are in an area with no internet . . .

Copying Resources folder before uninstalling allows scan command to be used for copying resource files into new installation, which avoids download. Personally have used scan command in different installations: PC => Mac and Mac => PC

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24852
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 27 2018 4:20 PM

Father Gregory:

Hello,

I use Windows going to the control panel to uninstall the program.

This will remove your resources in the Data sub-folder, but leave the Documents sub-folder. To completely uninstall, therefore, you have to remove the main Logos folder (see https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers#Before_you_Start for location).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS