Logos biggest weakness to me is a lack of good hymnals and psalters with complete texts.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 15 2010 5:01 AM

Logos biggest weakness to me is a lack of good hymnals with complete hymn texts. There are a ton of hymnals and psalters available to choose from that are in the public domain. I've downloaded several in .pdf from Google.

The ones that are in Logos format do not even include all of the verses and miss the complete thought of the author. Below is an example from Steve Green's Midi Hymnal.

My suggestion is to put some like Gadsby's hymns, The Olney Hymns, Harts Hymns in Community Pricing and see what happens.

I'd also like to see an update to the Steve Green's Midi Hymnal  that would include ALL of the verses for each hymn. For example "The church's one foundation" contains only the first 3 of 6 verses. One of Logos biggest weaknesses to me is lack of good hymnals. There are tons of good hymnals in the public domain. Here are the final 3 verses:

The church shall never perish!
Her dear Lord to defend,
To guide, sustain and cherish
Is with her to the end;
Though there be those that hate her,
And false sons in her pale,
Against or foe or traitor
She ever shall prevail.

'Mid toil and tribulation,
And tumult of her war,
She waits the consummation
Of peace for evermore;
Till with the vision glorious
Her longing eyes are blest,
And the great church victorious
Shall be the church at rest.

Yet she on earth hath union
With the God the Three in One,
And mystic sweet communion
With those whose rest is won:
O happy ones and holy!
Lord, give us grace that we,
Like them, the meek and lowly,
On high may dwell with thee.

Posts 260
Pastor Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 8:04 AM

I would like to see Great Hymns of the Faith and Majesty by Majesty Music.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 8:12 AM

Michael Lyman:
Logos biggest weakness to me is a lack of good hymnals

Even without hymn words it is pretty poor. When I'm undertaking sermon preparation, I am always on the lookout for hymns that will help develop the theme of the sermon and provide both pre-inforcement and re-inforcement of main ideas, so that people can remember what has been said through what they have sung.

When I scroll down the Passage Guide to find hymn suggestions, so often there are none. Many hymns are public domain these days. There could easily be a great many more available, if Logos wanted. That would be a seriously useful enhancement.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 62
Rev. Wayne Paul Barrett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 10:59 AM

I'm looking forward to PBB Support coming on-line, because this sounds like a perfect project for that. Just give me hymn/song titles linked to Scripture and I'll find the hymn/song. I need to know what hymn/song is based on or uses a particular Scripture, or which hymn/song works thematically with a particular passage of Scripture. I would think the issue with getting most Hymnals in Logos (Presbyterian, Methodist, Lutheran, etc.) would be copyright concerns and the attendant costs if one could even secure the rights to an electronic copy. I am certainly happily open to be corrected on that point by someone with my knowledge on these matters.

Wayne

Posts 31350
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 12:17 PM

I share this concern for slightly different reason. I'd first like to see some of the psalters available but certain hymnals are not far behind.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1434
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 1:07 PM

MJ. Smith:

I'd first like to see some of the psalters available but certain hymnals are not far behind.

I support the demand for more hymns, but could we get the Genevan Psalter first? Pleaeaeaease.....

Most congregations in which I preach sing just one or two (Dutch) hymns per sunday, and some are EP. The Genevan Psalter with music (even if it would be "just" the English edition) would make a great addition to my Logos Library!

I have a dream that one day Logos will put together a prepub like they did with Homer's Iliad, but this time with the Genevan Psalter in French, Dutch (1773 or 1967), English, German, and perhaps a few other languages. Cool

For those more interested in hymns, here's the first vers of "The church's one foundation" in Dutch:

Eén naam is onze hope,

één grond heeft Christus' Kerk,

zij rust in éénen dope,

en is zijn scheppingswerk.

Om haar als bruid te werven,

kwam Hij ten hemel af.

Hij was't, die door zijn sterven

aan haar het leven gaf.

(Gezang 112 - Hervormde Bundel 1938)

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 4:08 PM

I'd like to see Logos incorporate the entire contents of the Cyber Hymnal (which is all public domain hymn texts and background on the authors, etc.) -- in cooperation with the people who run that site, of course. In the meantime, you can use Cyber Hymnal to find good public domain hymns to go with Scripture passages. They've got a Scripture Reference index as well as full text search, meter search, etc. [Please note that someone else stole the domain name and all the content of the original Cyber Hymnal so don't go to that domain name -- it's now a commercial site; the real Cyber Hymnal is at the link I provided]

The Cyber Hymnal actually has seven verses for The Church's One Foundation. There is usually no one definitive source of "all the verses" since verse texts change over the years. Some new verses are created along the way and included by a particular denomination or hymnal editor but were not part of the original hymn author's text. Amazing Grace is a perfect example of that. We all love the last verse ("When we’ve been there ten thousand years") and would never want to sing it without that, but it was added later by an anonymous author. Finally, words to individual verses are adapted for a variety of reasons and it's sometimes hard to find out what are the definitive words. In some cases we've gotten used to an altered version from what the original author wrote several hundred years ago and are uncomfortable with the sound of the original, or else it's the other way around; we don't like what modern hymnal editors are doing changing the gendered language in our favorite hymns. Well, those sorts of adaptions have been going on for years, as I learned from a hymnology class I took in seminary. So I'm not as concerned about it anymore as I used to be.

Another awesome new resource is Hymnary.org, a collaboration between the Christian Classics Ethereal Library and the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship. It's a huge comprehensive index of hymns and hymnals. It currently contains 4,944 hymnals and collections, entries on 1,031,480 texts and 32,146 tunes, bibliographical information from sources such as Julian's Dictionary of Hymnology and hymnal handbooks, full scores of many hymns, and 9,732 media files. It includes full text, too, for public domain hymns.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 11:30 AM

Rosie Perera:
the real Cyber Hymnal is at the link I provided

Rosie

Bless you for that link. I had used the Cyber Hymnal for years, then it went down for a period of time and restarted unable to do any of the things it used to be able to do. I complained for months about the changes but just got anodyne replies. What you have given me is the real deal. I would never have found it on my own.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 5:20 AM

I just want to bump this topic again, because for me it is still the one glaring weakness of Logos, even version 5.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 5:48 AM

Thanks, Michael.

Yep .. I'm one of those 'pew sitters' that perks up when the pastor mentions the words from a favorite hymn. I wonder why. Sometimes after a service, the words just sort of roll around in your mind over and over. Maybe that's why the archeologists find poems etc as the earliest written forms?

This was one reason why I got St Anselm ... just to read over his words carefully.  He was an interesting guy.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 17 2012 12:21 PM

I had to go buy some hymnals for prayer and meditation. I'd love some hymnals (not just the Logos one) for worship and praise...

I just realized - I want Logos to be my single point for my Christian life. It's already my study companion, I want it to track my prayers (especially mobile), I want them to add a devotional guide so I can journal and track spiritual growth, and I want hymns for worship....

Can you imagine the awesome gift that would be to the body? A single, all-in-one program? And how great a temptation to withdraw to a program and away from the Church....

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 6 2013 12:40 AM

It would also be great to be able to sort hymns by meter and tune.

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 6 2013 1:08 AM

Michael Lyman:

It would also be great to be able to sort hymns by meter and tune.

A couple of great web resources on hymns, where you can search and sort by meter and tune, and much more:

It would be great to have even a fraction of that content in Logos!

Posts 670
Michael Lyman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 6 2013 7:46 AM

Thanks Rosie, I am aware of those, but others may not be. I agree, excellent resources.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS