Will 2017 Macbook 12” work for Logos Sliver?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 35
mjones1970 | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 2 2018 10:31 AM

Hi all,

I’m wanting to get a small screen laptop for church services.  I asked This question to Logos online chat and was told the 2017 Macbook 12” was not powerful enough.

Specs:

base model: m3 1.2ghz, 8 gig RAM, 256 HD.

max model: i7 duel core 1.4 ghz, 16 gig RAM, 512 HD.

This will not be my only computer, just my portable.  I have an iMac as well that’s maxed out.  I want a laptop that’s not big and obvious to use.

whats yaws thoughts that maybe use one?

thanks,

Mike

Posts 1756
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 11:34 AM

This thread, from a couple years ago, has a positive response to running Logos on the 12" MacBook: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/101979/802774.aspx

Hope it helps.

Posts 35
mjones1970 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 12:26 PM

Thanks, I should have mentioned I rdad that thread.  I suspect the New one will be similar but I don’t know how big of a change there was betweenLogos 6 and 7.

Posts 35
mjones1970 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 12:28 PM

Also, for some reason the forums search function gives me an error message with saying to try again later.  I found that thread via google.

Posts 438
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 1:02 PM

A good acquaintance of mine uses Logos on a 2016 12" MacBook and it runs fine for him, so the 2017 should work well. 

Posts 4733
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 2:24 PM

Michael Jones:

Specs:

base model: m3 1.2ghz, 8 gig RAM, 256 HD.

max model: i7 duel core 1.4 ghz, 16 gig RAM, 512 HD.

Mike

I have run Logos on similar machines and they have worked just fine for light study and sermon prep.

I notice that you are getting the machine for 'Church Services'. How are you planning to use Logos for the service?

Posts 35
mjones1970 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 2:38 PM

Ah, for Church services it’s for my personal use.  To use Logos during bible study classes and such so It’s not For the congregation to use as a whole.  I may use it if it’s suitable for PowerPoint.  So for this machine it’s mostly llite use

Posts 849
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 8:49 PM

I have run Logos on a 2017 MacBook 12" with the m3 and 16gb of RAM. It runs good. If you can afford the extra RAM, it's a future-proof upgrade.

Posts 4733
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2018 12:08 AM

Michael Jones:

Ah, for Church services it’s for my personal use.  To use Logos during bible study classes and such so It’s not For the congregation to use as a whole.  I may use it if it’s suitable for PowerPoint.  So for this machine it’s mostly llite use

It should be fine then. I don't know about PowerPoint, Keynote will perform well.  

'Proclaim' makes life easier than either Powerpoint or Keynote if you want to control Hymn / Reading projection.

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2018 9:14 AM

I have the m3 8g 256 HD with a larger library (>11k resources) and I'm happy with it. As far as speed, I open to a blank layout but from there, the included greek word study layout opens and populates in about 6 seconds (all sections, the word study side is usable in about 4 seconds).  the home page opens in 4 to 8 second depending on how slow access to logos servers is. The keyboard is better that that 2016 (second generation butterfly) and Keynote works well (I don't have powerpoint but powerpoint files work well in Keynote except for some font substitution and transition effects).

Posts 35
mjones1970 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2018 9:43 AM

Thank you for your feedback.  It sounds to me like it woris really well, especially for the base model.  

I have the 2016 MBP and I’m not a fan of the keyboard, mostly due to it being nosier to use.  I’ve not had any of the problems some have reported with theirs.  I don’t want to use my 15” as I feel it’s to big for services while sitting in the pews, I don’t want to be that obvious about it.  Also, it’s not as portable.

Whats your thoughts on the screen size for Logos?  I’ve thought about the 13’ but wonder if I’ll feel the same about it as I do my 15”.  My vision isn’t great and I do wear reading glasses but other than my iPad I’ve never used a laptop smaller than 15”

Posts 28358
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2018 10:00 AM

I can't stand the 12 inch. It is too small for me. My vision is good, but would go bad if I had to use the 12 inch all the time! 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 35
mjones1970 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2018 10:16 AM

What do you recommend for using in the pews for bible class, etc?  I’ve got a 15” MBP and a 27” iMac I use for long term.

Posts 4733
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2018 12:09 AM

Michael Jones:

What do you recommend for using in the pews for bible class, etc?  I’ve got a 15” MBP and a 27” iMac I use for long term.

I find the iPad gives me all I need for following along with stuff and a bit of quick research.

I (very) occasional fire up app.logos.com which I have saved as an icon and keep beside the logos app.

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2018 9:20 AM

Michael Jones:

I also use an iPad for church and bible study and know a few ministers who preach from iPads.  The caveat is that you need good internet access for the mobile app.  I live in an area with good access (my isp provides wifi around the city for subscribers).  I do keep some apps that work offline on the iPad so I have a bible and some resources if I don’t have a network connection.  The mobile app is fine for following along in a bible, a quick check of some commentaries, or a quick word study.  I do have a cover that I got from a Christian bookstore so the iPad is inconspicuous when I use it at church.

I’m retired and haven’t been in school for about 40 years so my use is mainly personal.  I wear reading glasses and I do agree that I wouldn’t want to do sermon or study prep on a 12” screen. For personal research and office apps I‘m fine with the screen.  I believe the keyboard for the 2017 MacBook is similar to the 2016 pro keyboard (I returned a 2016 MacBook due to the keyboard but the 2017 keyboard is a lot better). I don’t find it to be any noisier than any good quality keyboard I’ve used and I haven’t had a problem with keys sticking or not registering that some have reported.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS