Logos 8 release coming?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2
Anthony Becvar | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 2 2018 8:33 PM

Just starting to work with Logos 7.  It looks like the product is about 2 years old now.  Is there any word on a new version?  If I were to purchase a copy of 7, would I be upgrade safe?  Would I have to put out another $500+ dollars for a new version or are upgrades inexpensive?

Posts 3267
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 9:06 PM

Welcome to the forums, Anthony!

Anthony Becvar:
Is there any word on a new version?

It's possible that Logos 8 may ship in August or in September (although only FL knows for certain).

I would wait to make any purchases, as Logos 8 will likely offer special introductory/combo pricing that should save you more, compared to buying Logos 7 now at regular prices.

Anthony Becvar:
If I were to purchase a copy of 7, would I be upgrade safe?

If you buy Logos 7, you'd have permanent access to its features, but obviously no Logos 8 features.

Newer versions of Logos will always offer new tools and features. If you don't need any of the new tools or features that will ship with Logos 8, you wouldn't necessarily have to upgrade.

There is a free upgrade option (called Logos Basic) which would upgrade the software and provide access to a limited number of tools and features, but if you want most/all of the new Logos 8 features, you'd want to upgrade, which would cost money.

Anthony Becvar:
Would I have to put out another $500+ dollars for a new version or are upgrades inexpensive?

You wouldn't be paying full price, since your dynamic price would be discounted based on what you already own.

But again, it's probably better to wait and spend $500 when Logos 8 comes out, rather than spend $500 for Logos 7 and possibly another $250 (depending on your dynamic pricing) for Logos 8.

Posts 27816
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 9:26 PM

Anthony Becvar:

Just starting to work with Logos 7.  It looks like the product is about 2 years old now.  Is there any word on a new version?  If I were to purchase a copy of 7, would I be upgrade safe?  Would I have to put out another $500+ dollars for a new version or are upgrades inexpensive?

The software is free, but certain features require a purchase. You need to separate your question into two parts: L7 library (books) vs. L7 features. 

Typically the more expensive portion of the purchase is the “library” of books. No one will be able to tell you if you should purchase now or wait since the resources in the “library“ being sold will change (in whole or part) when L8 comes out. If there are resources you are dying to acquire in a package, now might be the time. There is no guarantee that the particular resource will be available in the next library offerings. On the other hand, you may prefer the L8 offerings to what is available in the L7 ones! Typically the best savings come when the libraries are first offered... 

The other portion of the equation is the features. Personally, I want to OWN resources (books) but RENT features. If you are ok with that, you should absolutely subscribe to Logos Connect. If you want to own the features, you may want to wait until L8 comes out (likely in the fall). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4689
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2018 12:35 AM

Hi Anthony 

Welcome and here is my take on the matter which differs slightly from the two above.

The first thing to get you head round is that the software is free. Logos 7 is free. Logos 8 will (in due course) be free. In fact there is a 'Logos Basic' package that will get you the software and some basic resources for free. You should definitely download and install this to give it a try. You have nothing to loose but your disc space.

We pay for two classes of things...

Firstly resources – these are available as individual books or sets (e.g. The Bible Speaks Today) and and as Base or Supplementary Libraries e.g 'Gold' or 'Anglican'. There is much confusion because when a new version of the (free) software is issued many of these (paid for) Libraries are revamped and repackaged and discounted. Many people take advantage of the discounts to upgrade their libraries at this time. The problem is that in some folks heads they have paid for 'Logos 7' rather than they have paid for 'Gold Library'.

As regards libraries there is a guarantee that you will not have to purchase the same resource twice. It means that if you find a base library that you want now you can purchase it and know that if you upgrade then any item that you already own will be discounted from any package you upgrade to. The problem is that, like any store, if you purchase now you may find that there is a sale on next week. If you wait for the sale then the item you want may not be in it or be out of stock. Some have waited for these upgrades only to find that the resource they really want is not included in the revamped package and is now only available at full price. 'You pays your money and you takes your chance.' Remember engine free - resources paid for; nobody has purchased Logos 7.

Secondly features. Like a basic car you can add extra features depending on you interest and professional requirements. Again due to historical reasons Faithlife has complicated matters by offering features for sale or for rent. I won't go into the differences except to say that it misleading to say that you can purchase all the features because some rely on online access and these are only available to those that subscribe. You should take a look at both offerings – for me the subscription (Connect) route is the obvious way to go. You pays your money and you takes your chance. Remember software free, resources paid for, features rented.

Whatever you decide may your studies lead to blessings and your blessings lead to Kingdom building.

Posts 2
Anthony Becvar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2018 6:59 AM

This is really informative.  Thank you everyone for explaining the Logos model to me.  I'm using the Basic (free) edition now and love it but find that I need more resources and an expanded library from what comes for free, which prompted the question.  Great stuff!

Posts 4689
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2018 7:22 AM

Glad you are finding the program useful. Anthony.

Now it comes to expanding your library!

And we come to the thorny question of the usefulness of useless books.  :-)

When we get those 'base' packages with what seems like a fair bit of make weight in terms of old public domain publications we may be tempted to delete (or in Logos Terms) hide them. Every so often somebody comes along and want to hide a raft of books whose theology they disagree with saying that they will never read them.

Resist the temptation! The importance of these books is not that you read them but that others have. Sometimes, just sometimes, your favourite theologian or researcher will say that Joe Idiot Bloggs had the right idea when he said...

At that point it will be helpful to have Joe Idiot Blog's book in your library so that the hyperlinked reference can hit that work and you can actually read the one decent idea that Joe Idiot Bloggs had in his sorry life. If you had hidden it or otherwise removed it that reference would have been lost to you.

We all have a subset of our libraries that we turn to much more often than others - keep these available quickly by using 'collections'. It is a much better tactic than reducing the size of your library in order to make a pseudo collection and throwing out the many hidden but available gems that might lurk there.

With books that espouse a theology opposed to your own it is still worth keeping them available. Someday someone will say that Jim the Converse said this and so we should... it is useful to be able too look up what Jim the Converse actually said (which is often different) in order to be able to understand precisely why we disagree with a standpoint. The church has many in it that disagree with stuff much of which they don't understand and are unclear as to why they are opposed.

Two principles -

Test everything - keep what is good close.

Keep your enemies closer you need to know what they are up to.

Posts 9109
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2018 8:29 AM

Anthony Becvar:
I'm using the Basic (free) edition now and love it but find that I need more resources and an expanded library from what comes for free, which prompted the question.

The answer to your question depends on what you feel you need to add to your library. In addition to the good advise already given, here's mine:

If you feel you need a larger collection with a little bit of everything (commentaries, dictionaries, theological works, Bible translations, perhaps some basic Hebrew and Greek resources) then an upgraded Library is your best choice. Most of us would recommend the standard Silver Library as a good entry point for a lay person, and Gold for a pastor or seminary student, but it depends on your needs and desires. That said, wait until Logos 8 comes out to see what new Libraries are offered. The price will be the best at that point.

If you feel you need just a few hand-picked resources - a dictionary, a commentary, two or three Bible translations, etc., then patiently wait for a sale on those items. Two months ago Logos had a great sale on some of the best commentaries on each book of the Bible it offers. Their monthly sale often focuses on a publisher and offers some or all of their titles at a special discount. Also, pay attention to their monthly free + add-on books as well. You might see something you'd like. Faithlife has periodic sales, as well. The biggest is March Madness.

As Mike said, you need to evaluate a Library carefully. Faithlife has had the habit recently of adding a lot of resources of questionable value (in my opinion). You end up with a lot of books, but many of them are out-of-date volumes that won't help you much. Once Logos 8 is out, you can get evaluations of each of the new Library offerings here in the Forums by users, which might help you.

Welcome to the Logos Forums and to Logos Bible software, I hope you'll find both help you achieve your goals in Bible study.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1724
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2018 4:02 PM

Mike Binks:

Two principles -

Test everything - keep what is good close.

Keep your enemies closer you need to know what they are up to.

One more:  - Leave the anathema, take the cannoli.

No longer actively posting. Please remind T-Bone to take his meds.

Posts 2
Chulhyun Park | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2018 9:23 PM

Well, you will have to spend much more. 

Posts 1034
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 7:23 AM

Robert M. Warren:

...Leave the anathema, take the cannoli.

Big Smile

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 10:16 AM

Mark Smith:

Anthony Becvar:
I'm using the Basic (free) edition now and love it but find that I need more resources and an expanded library from what comes for free, which prompted the question.

The answer to your question depends on what you feel you need to add to your library. In addition to the good advise already given, here's mine:

If you feel you need a larger collection with a little bit of everything (commentaries, dictionaries, theological works, Bible translations, perhaps some basic Hebrew and Greek resources) then an upgraded Library is your best choice. Most of us would recommend the standard Silver Library as a good entry point for a lay person, and Gold for a pastor or seminary student, but it depends on your needs and desires. That said, wait until Logos 8 comes out to see what new Libraries are offered. The price will be the best at that point.

If you feel you need just a few hand-picked resources - a dictionary, a commentary, two or three Bible translations, etc., then patiently wait for a sale on those items. Two months ago Logos had a great sale on some of the best commentaries on each book of the Bible it offers. Their monthly sale often focuses on a publisher and offers some or all of their titles at a special discount. Also, pay attention to their monthly free + add-on books as well. You might see something you'd like. Faithlife has periodic sales, as well. The biggest is March Madness.

As Mike said, you need to evaluate a Library carefully. Faithlife has had the habit recently of adding a lot of resources of questionable value (in my opinion). You end up with a lot of books, but many of them are out-of-date volumes that won't help you much. Once Logos 8 is out, you can get evaluations of each of the new Library offerings here in the Forums by users, which might help you.

Welcome to the Logos Forums and to Logos Bible software, I hope you'll find both help you achieve your goals in Bible study.

Was it you, or Mark Barnes that used to do a package by package evaluation of all the base package families for important resources, and so forth? I always like those and pointed people to them semi-frequently.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 494
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 10:34 AM

Mark Barnes used to make them, except he never finished it for L7.  I imagine it was because they were so extensive and now there are SO MANY packages to choose from, by including the Denominational Offerings.  They were pretty awesome and I loved them for L6.

Maybe we have a chance for this again for L8???

L6 Buyers Guide: https://www.logosbiblesoftwaretraining.com/documents/logos-6-buyers-guide/ 

L7 Buyers Guide: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/129632/842386.aspx#842386 

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 10338
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 11:04 AM

Mike Binks:

Resist the temptation! The importance of these books is not that you read them but that others have. Sometimes, just sometimes, your favourite theologian or researcher will say that Joe Idiot Bloggs had the right idea when he said...

This simply means ‘my favorite theologian’ needs hiding too (smiling).

OTH, it’s obvious early Christians trashed offending books. So now, we don’t know what they said. Definite problem.

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2018 5:18 AM

Seems like the last few times before the big release of a new version, the website went down while they prepared for the announcement. So, when we see the site go down, a new release might be imminent.

Posts 2725
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 12:12 PM

There's a little evidence that the update to Logos may not be that soon. In this post by Phil Gons he said the following:

We're planning to release the new notes system out of beta on desktop, web, and mobile with Logos 8. Early next year is when all free versions of our apps should have the new notes system.

Our plans are to release to all three platforms at the same time.

So the new notes will come to all three at the same time. However, the current mobile versions even in beta does not have the new notes system.

I'm guessing when it does come it will take some time to get to gold release. Maybe early September at the earliest?

Posts 3267
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 12:50 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
So the new notes will come to all three at the same time.

That time is apparently early next year, not this year.

Kevin A. Purcell:
I'm guessing when it does come it will take some time to get to gold release. Maybe early September at the earliest?

I took Phil's post to mean that new notes will be added in a later desktop release (e.g. 8.3 or 8.4).

I doubt they are going to delay Logos 8 entirely until sometime in February.

Posts 5176
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 2:23 PM

Phil’s post was too vague and left a lot of wiggle room for FL to re-define what they mean. It gave me no comfort FL will not introduce this prematurely and leave users with disconnected notes.

PetahChristian:

Kevin A. Purcell:
So the new notes will come to all three at the same time.

That time is apparently early next year, not this year.

Kevin A. Purcell:

I took Phil's post to mean that new notes will be added in a later desktop release (e.g. 8.3 or 8.4).

I doubt they are going to delay Logos 8 entirely until sometime in February.

Posts 1606
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 4:28 PM

Historically Logos has released new versions/packages right before various professional conferences and before the school year. While it has been two years since 7 came out with two years between many recent versions, if version 8 doesn't come out in a week or so, I strongly suspect it will not come for a while. And with the way Faithlife has been transferring into various subscription packages, pushing out major updates on clockwork to encourage us all to upgrade is less of an issue.

The info they have let out about eventually reworking our notes suggests they do have continued ideas to improve their software. And as Bob reassured us at the beginning of Summer, they are in this for the long haul - and are a stable company financially to do so. I would much rather they do their development right instead of rushed.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 3267
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 7:30 PM

Ken McGuire:
if version 8 doesn't come out in a week or so, I strongly suspect it will not come for a while

Until today, I'd been guessing that L8 would come out in August or September.

However the prominent Home Page ad that says "Get a huge discount on Logos 7 during our Back-to-school-sale" makes me think FL wouldn't offer 25% off on Logos 7, to offer Logos 8 later this same month.

So... now guessing perhaps September or October for L8?

Ken McGuire:
I would much rather they do their development right instead of rushed.

Agreed.

But will FL completely hold up L8 until new notes is ready to ship? In that case, we could be looking at February!

Posts 2341
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 7:51 PM

PetahChristian:
So... now guessing perhaps September or October for L8?

Here's a secret technique I employ with my sales guy, if he says he hasn't been receiving any training for the New Release, I know that it is not imminent. If on the other hand, he says he cannot say, then I know the release is soon to be announced. This tactic has thus far been proven reliable. I know by publicizing this I'm probably destroying my edge, but so be it.

Furthermore, I know for a fact that L8 will not be released this month. Guessing is pointless. 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS