Is this normal? Why does my laptop sound like it's preparing for takeoff?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1
Matthew Berry | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 6 2018 3:56 AM

Quick question for the group.

I'm running Logos 7 on a MacBook Pro loaded with CPU and RAM. My full-time job is in cyber security, so my laptop is more of a performance system than anything else. I'm rarely in a situation where my system doesn't have enough resources to do the task at hand.

Whenever I open Logos 7, the laptop fan turns on and remains on for an extended period of time. Within the application, I can see it's wanting to index my library. It's a little annoying to encounter this issue nearly every time I open Logos.

1. Is it possible to tune how often Logos 7 indexes?

2. Are there any plans to optimize how this indexing occurs (i.e .more memory efficient)?

Posts 27678
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2018 4:23 AM

welcome! Smile

Believe it or not, Logos will likely be the most taxing program you will run on your computer. While there isn‘t a way to “tune how often“ it indexes, there are a couple of things you can do. 

1. You can “pause indexing.” This should not be done often, but really only when you realize that you don’t have the time and shouldn’t have unleashed the beast. 
  2. Indexing only occurs when new resources have downloaded (including new datasets and resource updates). It sounds like you need to change your settings so that app updates (and resource downloads) happen manually rather than automatically. Note: FL has not created a user means to control what downloads... you will receive any and all updates at once. 

If you are experiencing this every time you use Logos, you may not be allowing it to fully finish indexing. Conversely, you may not be using it frequently enough so that every time you do so, there are updates to be had. If neither of those apply, I would suggest providing logs (see my signature line).

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 17963
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2018 10:20 AM

Matthew Berry:
Whenever I open Logos 7, the laptop fan turns on and remains on for an extended period of time.

Welcome Big Smile

Extended period of time could indicate indexing was not complete when MacBook Pro was shutdown so indexing starts over OR corrupt resource(s) are causing indexer to crash (so every start repeats indexing until crash repeats).

Faithlife has Mac Support => https://www.logos.com/support/mac that includes About Indexing with several Tips

=> https://www.logos.com/support/mac/report-problem includes Logos Logging Utility link for enabling/disabling diagnostic logging, which can be quite helpful for human investigation of indexing.

Matthew Berry:
I'm running Logos 7 on a MacBook Pro loaded with CPU and RAM.

Curious about storage device. Logos is a resource intensive application whose performance noticeably improves when using Solid State Disk, especially newer technology.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2018 1:25 PM

I am not in the Mac tribe, but it is the same for Windows. In fact, I pretty much got the fastest loaded with RAM and SSD I could afford for the express purpose of being able to run Logos comfortably. My laptop has dual fans and many times indexing, they wind up like a power blower. It is just part of the price of using Logos.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS