Help with John Piper Quote

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6855
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 7 2018 10:13 AM

I found a quote in Spanish attributed to John Piper.  The translation goes something along these lines: "Jesus uses hard words for hard circumstances.  This is what love does, the opposite is called pampering."

I know is not an exact translation since it was originally written in English, then translated into Spanish and now I'm translating what I understand back to English.  I guess "lost in translation" applies here.  But does anybody know where to find the original quote in English? I would like to have the original and where it's found so I can better quote it.  

I've seen the same quote in Portuguese which is also attributed to John Piper, but for the life of me, I can't find the original English equivalent.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Blessings!

DAL

Posts 2375
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 7 2018 11:04 AM

Hi DAL,

Here is the quote... 

Jesus uses hard words for hard realities. That is what love does. The opposite is called pandering.

Piper, J. (2009). Finally Alive: What Happens When We Are Born Again (p. 25). Fearn, Ross-shire, Scotland: Christian Focus Publications Ltd.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 412
StephenMcC | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 7 2018 11:10 AM

Your translation was quite closeBig Smile

"Jesus uses hard words for hard realities. That is what love does. The opposite is called pandering."

Piper, John. Finally Alive: What Happens When We Are Born Again. Fearn, Ross-shire, Scotland: Christian Focus Publications Ltd., 2009. Page 25

Posts 6855
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 7 2018 11:55 AM

Amazing! Thanks to the both of you! Now I can quote it exactly as it appears in the book which I happen to own also. 

Blessings!

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS