Fuzzy results for an existing phrase?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3322
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 9 2018 6:30 AM

Perhaps I am tired and missing something but I don't get why I obtain fuzzy search results here but otherwise 0 hits under verse search (parameters are set to match all word forms / equivalent references BUT NOT to match case):

Posts 12230
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 9 2018 6:39 AM

Fuzzy Bible Search will search several versions, not just the one you have selected. Then it shows the results in your preferred Bible. The phrase "sons of the prophets" really doesn't appear in the NRSV, so the verse search is correct.

Posts 3322
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 9 2018 7:49 AM

Thanks, Mark. Do you know why the references are not in canonical order (both 2 Kings 2:7 and the subsequent 2 Kings 2:5 are from the NASB)?

Posts 12230
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 9 2018 8:44 AM

Francis:

Thanks, Mark. Do you know why the references are not in canonical order (both 2 Kings 2:7 and the subsequent 2 Kings 2:5 are from the NASB)?

I don't know, but I've always presumed they're ranked by the closeness of the match. In this case that looks unlikely, but remember if several Bible versions are being searched and most don't have "sons of the prophets", then it's still possible that 2 Kings 2:5 could rank below 2 Kings 4.

Posts 1672
LogosEmployee

Yes, they are ranked by closeness of the match. It looks misleading because results are shown in the highest prioritized Bible, but the search is carried out on all Bibles (not just ones you own) plus other sources of data.

Posts 3322
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 5:52 AM

It is only in the last couple days that I noticed fuzzy search results appearing on top. Is that a new feature? If so, I don't like it. I had another search (can't remember what it was now) that produced fuzzy search results that were incomprehensible to me. I have always be dead opposed to any feature that relies too much on knowing what goes on behind the hood to understand its results. 

Posts 12230
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 7:50 AM

It’s been there for years. Just minimise the section if you don’t like it, and your preference will be remembered. 

Posts 7364
LogosEmployee

Francis:
Is that a new feature?

It's been in Bible Search since Logos 7.9: https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_7.9#Search 

Posts 24092
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 3:05 PM

Francis:
I have always be dead opposed to any feature that relies too much on knowing what goes on behind the hood to understand its results. 

Would adding an indication of the version which caused the verse to be listed solve your problem? Or to a lesser extent, a mouse over explanation of the source of the results in all sections?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3322
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 11:57 PM

MJ. Smith:
Would adding an indication of the version which caused the verse to be listed solve your problem?

Either that or maintaining a canonical sorting of the results no matter what version they're from. I had some results from another search (can't recall what it was now) that made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Some of the results seemed to have no relationship to what I searched. 

Posts 3322
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 11:59 PM

Mark Barnes:

It’s been there for years. Just minimise the section if you don’t like it, and your preference will be remembered. 

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
It's been in Bible Search since Logos 7.9: https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_7.9#Search 

Not sure why it showed up all the sudden unasked for. Minimised it now.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS