Tablets

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 207
Ken Rutherford | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 10 2018 10:30 PM

Are any of these two options worth looking into acquiring to run Logos as my main Bible instead of just carrying a normal one?  The other versions of Logos just don't stack up to the full Windows version.  Can either of these produce the goods for an option to have Logos on the go?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/cheap-surface-go-now-official-399-10-inches-pentium-processor/

The Surface Go only has an Intel Pentium Gold 4415Y, which is a two-core, four-thread Kaby Lake chip.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/349819/asus-transformer-mini-t102ha-d4-gr

This has a:

quad-core Intel Atom x5-Z8350 .

Both are rather inexpensive. compared to a full Surface.

Posts 63
David Staveley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 2:23 AM

Ken Rutherford:

Are any of these two options worth looking into acquiring to run Logos as my main Bible instead of just carrying a normal one?  The other versions of Logos just don't stack up to the full Windows version.  Can either of these produce the goods for an option to have Logos on the go?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/cheap-surface-go-now-official-399-10-inches-pentium-processor/

The Surface Go only has an Intel Pentium Gold 4415Y, which is a two-core, four-thread Kaby Lake chip.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/349819/asus-transformer-mini-t102ha-d4-gr

This has a:

quad-core Intel Atom x5-Z8350 .

Both are rather inexpensive. compared to a full Surface.

My advice as someone who bought a Surface Pro just for Logos is to not get a Windows tablet at all. Logos runs slow on Windows tablets. Rather get a 10 inch Android tablet as I did (the slow speed on my Windows tablet was killing me so I got an Android tablet as well), as the Android version of Logos runs much faster on an Android tablet as the Android OS is very streamlined.

And the great thing about 10 inch Android tablets is they are about a third of the price of a Surface Pro. I got mine brand new for $80.

Dr David Staveley Professor of New Testament. Specializing in the Pauline Epistles, Apocalyptic Judaism, and the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Posts 25886
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 5:55 AM

I am not a windows user, but what I read yesterday suggested that this device only runs software downloaded from the windows store. I would verify that before getting too excited. 

As for the other specs: You must make sure to have a large enough drive. My personal opinion is that 128GB should be a minimum for most users. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 3318
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 5:56 AM

David must be running the minimal android Bible app, but I am not sure whether that's what Ken wants as opposed to running the full desktop version. 

Posts 207
Ken Rutherford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 6:13 AM

Francis:

David must be running the minimal android Bible app, but I am not sure whether that's what Ken wants as opposed to running the full desktop version. 

Out of the box it runs Windows 10S, but one can open it up to run full Windows which means full Logos, but the above post says Windows Logos on a Windows Tablet is terrible.  Very frustrating.  In time they will get it!  We are still human not yet divine! One can dream!

Incidentally, earlier reviewers are concerned about full Windows on it given its small chips for battery savings.

Posts 207
Ken Rutherford | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 6:19 AM

Ken Rutherford:

Francis:

You are correct! I'm happy with what my phone does with the app, but I find the app in Android quite limiting.  If I just wanted the app, I'd stick to my phone. 

My dream is the Surface Phone (rumored to be only a myth never to be realized at least in the foreseeable future) running full Logos and the ability to switch everything else pretty much off unless I need it when not using Logos or to share something from Logos!  A tablet would be my next hope, but apparently Logos on a Surface Pro appears to be not worth it.  That only means on a Go it would be unthinkable!  Thanks for ending my pipe dream and bringing me back to reality! I won't bother forking out funds for something that slow!

Posts 25886
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 6:27 AM

JT (alabama24):
I read yesterday suggested that this device only runs software downloaded from the windows store

My memory was partially right: 

MacRumors:
Off the shelf, Surface Go devices will run Windows 10 in "S mode", a streamlined version of Microsoft's desktop OS that only runs verified apps downloaded from the Windows Store, although customers can switch to the regular version of Windows 10 at no additional cost.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/10/microsoft-10-inch-surface-go-unveiled/ 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 63
David Staveley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 6:59 AM

Ken Rutherford:

You are correct! I'm happy with what my phone does with the app, but I find the app in Android quite limiting.  If I just wanted the app, I'd stick to my phone. 

How was I supposed to know you knew about the App? I'm a Bible scholar. Not a Mind Reader. 

Next time someone tries to help you, try to be a littler more courteous with them. 

Dr David Staveley Professor of New Testament. Specializing in the Pauline Epistles, Apocalyptic Judaism, and the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Posts 9199
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 7:42 AM

Ken Rutherford:

My dream is the Surface Phone (rumored to be only a myth never to be realized at least in the foreseeable future) running full Logos and the ability to switch everything else pretty much off unless I need it when not using Logos or to share something from Logos! 

You're thinking of the Sony U2 (a decade ago). It was a regular clamshell with touchscreen too. Just a hair bigger than my ipad mini, but thicker. Easily fit in my purse and full Windows and battery survived overseas trips. I ran Logos4 (at the time).

Primary market was Houston ... oil execs etc. I'm not sure why.

Posts 3318
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 7:47 AM

Ken Rutherford:
but the above post says Windows Logos on a Windows Tablet is terrible

It might be worth clarifying whether this comment refers to running the Windows Store Logos app (which I thought was retired) or doing what you mean, with a full Windows and full Logos installation.

Posts 733
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 7:57 AM

FWIW: I don't know anyone's budget or desired specs for such things but I found this recent article (7/8/18) from Neowin very interesting.  I use the Yoga (i.e., convertible) version and can vouch for the speed, versatility, and durability of Lenovo's X1 line.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet review: It's way better than a Surface Pro  

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 1433
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 8:02 AM

I have owned 2 Surface Pro (original and SP4), Android & iPad tablets and have used both Android and iPhone.

I applaud the Faithlife Study Bible app for either tablet as an "on-the-go" solution. I only use the Logos app on Phone for "Doctor's Office waiting room" reading of ebooks.

I find Surface Pro is great for running the Desktop version of Logos (hooked to a docking station when I am in my office with extra monitor space) but sufficient computing power to use any of the Logos features when I am studying in a library/coffeeshop.

The Surface Go is limited to 64 GB of onboard memory (expandable with SD Card). In order to work well, Logos needs to be installed on the onboard memory. Even though I put all my programs on the onboard and all my data (from other programs) on my SD card, I soon filled the 128 Gb on my original Surface Pro and was forced to upgrade to the SP4 to get larger SSD.  I think the $400 + $100 for surface Pen + $130 for Surface keyboard puts me at a pricepoint where I would go on up to the Surface Pro if I were buying a tablet that I wanted to run the Desktop software.

Posts 827
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2018 8:22 AM

I've had good luck running the mobile app on an Android tablet.  It doesn't have all of the functionality of the desktop version, but it's a great solution for the subway, coffee shops and waiting rooms.

Posts 2535
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 13 2018 7:20 AM

If you want to run Windows and Logos, get a powerful computer. Unfortunately, Logos requires a lot more power than such a program probably should. None of the other Bible programs have the overhead requirements that Logos has. I'd get a Surface Pro with at least the i5 and 8GB of RAM. However, if you don't need full Logos, the best tablet for running Logos is an iPad. The mobile apps are a little frustrating at times, but the iPad is the best tablet. Android tablets are not that great. And I own an Android phone so I'm not an iOS fanboy.

Posts 180
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2018 12:48 AM

David Thomas:
The Surface Go is limited to 64 GB of onboard memory (expandable with SD Card). In order to work well, Logos needs to be installed on the onboard memory.

This is not correct. The base model is 64GB, but you can get a higher model that offers 128GB onboard storage along with an upgrade to 8gb ram (from the base 4GB). It should also be noted that the base 64GB model is using slow eMMC storage, while the upgraded 128GB version has a fast NVME SSD drive making the upgrade more than worth it. There was also a 256GB version announced that is coming soon as well as an LTE enabled model as well.

See:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/surface-go/8V9DP4LNKNSZ?activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab

Posts 63
David Staveley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2018 1:57 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

If you want to run Windows and Logos, get a powerful computer. Unfortunately, Logos requires a lot more power than such a program probably should. None of the other Bible programs have the overhead requirements that Logos has. I'd get a Surface Pro with at least the i5 and 8GB of RAM. However, if you don't need full Logos, the best tablet for running Logos is an iPad. The mobile apps are a little frustrating at times, but the iPad is the best tablet. Android tablets are not that great. And I own an Android phone so I'm not an iOS fanboy.

I think you will find the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 trumps any iPad. The principle reason for this is obviously because Android is open source and you don't have to Jailbreak your device in order to install content of your choice onto it. This is why Android is the front runner in the OS wars and not iOS. Way more people run Android than those who run iOS.

Posts 470
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2018 2:58 AM

David Staveley:

I think you will find the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 trumps any iPad. The principle reason for this is obviously because Android is open source and you don't have to Jailbreak your device in order to install content of your choice onto it. This is why Android is the front runner in the OS wars and not iOS. Way more people run Android than those who run iOS.

It’s worth noting that this stuff matters to some people but is irrelevant to others. If all you want is to run the apps you like as smoothly as possible, and those apps are on iOS and Android, then more often than not, iOS is the better choice. App developers know the hardware better, the software is more “stable” (not referring to bugs - just consistency), etc. You just get a higher quality of output from developers a lot of the time - plus the market that actually supports apps financially is waaaaay larger on iOS, so it’s often a preferred choice for them.

Point is, depends what you want to do with it. But I don’t think Android or iOS are much help to the OP, as I think he wants the full version of Logos.

Posts 63
David Staveley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2018 5:14 AM

James McAdams:

David Staveley:

It’s worth noting that this stuff matters to some people but is irrelevant to others. If all you want is to run the apps you like as smoothly as possible, and those apps are on iOS and Android, then more often than not, iOS is the better choice. App developers know the hardware better, the software is more “stable” (not referring to bugs - just consistency), etc. You just get a higher quality of output from developers a lot of the time - plus the market that actually supports apps financially is waaaaay larger on iOS, so it’s often a preferred choice for them.

Point is, depends what you want to do with it. But I don’t think Android or iOS are much help to the OP, as I think he wants the full version of Logos.

My point was: if more people are buying and using Android devices than iOS, there will be reasons for that. I offered just one of those reasons: people like to be able to install whatever they want on their device. Not have the company that makes the device dictate to them what they can install.

So, you say it matters to some people and not others, but the statistics speak for themselves. Clearly, it matters for more people than not.

Posts 9199
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2018 8:10 AM

David Staveley:

My point was: if more people are buying and using Android devices than iOS, there will be reasons for that. I offered just one of those reasons: people like to be able to install whatever they want on their device. Not have the company that makes the device dictate to them what they can install.

So, you say it matters to some people and not others, but the statistics speak for themselves. Clearly, it matters for more people than not.

Well, you started off good ... many reasons. Hardware sounds like one. But you ended up with with a straw-y 'it', as if 'it' was the the reason. Plus  statistics almost never speak for themselves. Dogs do. Not cats.

Posts 17071
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2018 8:25 AM

David Staveley:
The principle reason for this is obviously because Android is open source and you don't have to Jailbreak your device in order to install content of your choice onto it.

Apple includes hundreds of open source projects in iOS and macOS => https://opensource.apple.com/ plus => https://developer.apple.com/opensource/

David Staveley:
This is why Android is the front runner in the OS wars and not iOS. Way more people run Android than those who run iOS.

Suspect initial hardware cost is the primary motivation for more Android purchases. Another statistic is revenue paid to independent app developers. Article last year => https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/01/apple-passes-70b-in-app-developer-payouts-led-by-games-and-entertainment/ noted Apple has paid out $ 70,000,000,000 to third party app developers (more than Android). From app developer perspective, revenue per device is better for iOS. For long term subscriptions, Apple's revenue cut drops from 30 % to 15 % after a year => https://developer.apple.com/app-store/subscriptions/

Article contrasting Android and iOS app development => http://reviewsappdeveloper.com/application-development-ios-android/ includes statistic about Android app development costing up to 40 % more than iOS.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS