Slightly OT: Stardock Groupy

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2250
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 17 2018 7:58 PM

I use several Windows programs offered by Stardock under their ObjectDock bundle. The whole thing about them is to make one's Windows desktop a nicer place to work. Well, I hadn't updated my subscription until the other day when they offered me a discount to do so. There's a new program (to me) called Groupy and it basically lets you turn all open app windows into a unified tabbed interface. It's really simple to use and basically makes your environment like a web browser with tabs. This works remarkably well with Logos and other Bible programs and the usual word processor and browser one keeps open at the same time. I love this program and most Logos users should feel at home with it given that Logos is a tabbed interface program. I have been a fan of the ObjectDock bundle for years, but I think this is just the best little diamond in the whole package. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 18 2018 6:49 AM

I Love Stardock's tools. Have used them for ages to tweak Windows UI, though I did remove most of them when W10 hit, to get used to Windows native features. Then only one I kept and can't imagine being without is Fences. Hadn't seen Groupy before but I use a similar tool (Clover) that works exclusively with Windows File Explorer and works like it was built in to Windows. All File Explorer windows open by default inside a single tabbed window. This works great for having lots of explorer windows open at once. Is Groupy rule based? Eg can I set a rule to open all file explorer windows in one tabbed window and another rule to open Word & Excel in a different tabbed window, while not tabifying any other apps? Thanks for mentioning it. I always love to hear about new tools/utilities.

Posts 8014
LogosEmployee

FWIW, Microsoft will be bringing similar (?) behaviour to all apps in a future Windows 10 update (if you want to wait and save money): https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/28/16709190/microsoft-windows-10-tabs-file-explorer-sets-feature 

In the (distant) past, Logos (and Libronix) have had weird UI issues and/or crashes if Stardock WindowBlinds was installed, so I'd advise to proceed with caution. (But we haven't heard about any problems recently so perhaps they've improved their compatibility with other applications.)

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 18 2018 12:59 PM

Steer clear of Groupy. I am a long time Stardock supporter going back to Windows 3.1 with WindowsBlinds. But, lately, there stuff is being released before ready to be in Prime Time. With Groupy running on my Win64 Pro machine, I have all kinds of video anomalies. So, I uninstalled it. My system perked back up.. Maybe when v. 2 comes out...

Posts 2250
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 18 2018 7:03 PM

I have it on three different machines, so far no issues. YMMV. It's a free trial too, so you can decide without risk.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2018 6:13 PM

FWIW, a bunch of Stardock utilities are in a Humble Bundle that just went up. Fences has been awesome. Haven’t used Blinds since upgrading to Win10 but it’s nice for a new look. DeskScapes is also nice IIRC but I’m currently running Wallpaper Engine. Start8/10 and Groupy are there and a few more.

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/stardock-software-bundle  $15+

The complete Object Desktop is on sale on their website

https://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/  $30

Posts 2250
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2018 6:24 PM

Groupy and WindowBlinds just received updates from Stardock. On a sad note, their version of a Mac-style ObjectDock launch dock has never been updated properly for Windows 10 and as far as I can tell will not be. I had been trying to bear with it, but I dumped it in favor of the free version of Winstep Nexus. Much better behaved. 

Posts 2084
LogosEmployee

One awesome thing about humble bundles is that you can choose what portion of your money goes to a charity of your choice. Their list of charities includes quite a large number of Christian organizations...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS