Just a Few More Days for L8

Page 2 of 4 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 66 Replies | 11 Followers

Posts 586
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2018 1:47 PM

I use my 15" laptop and extend my Logos desktop to a 21" monitor and a 24" smart TV. The 21" monitor sits above my laptop and the SmartTV/Monitor sit to the right of my laptop. I generally use the 21" for word processing type functions and the SmartTV has another Bible Software program and/or an extended screen from Logos.

Posts 124
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2018 2:37 PM

My wife really likes me and sees my investment in Logos and computer and monitors as my "bass boat."

Posts 165
Nick Highland | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2018 3:18 PM

I'm going to guess on the release date - either July 23 or 30.  The last two releases have been in a Monday, which makes sense.  I'm guessing a bit earlier this time than last time since effort went into defending an "approximate" two year schedule.  Any other guesses?

Posts 2248
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2018 3:38 PM

My guess is post summer holiday season. It makes little sense to push out a major release when many people are on vacation.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 200
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2018 6:13 PM

I don't have any idea, of course, when it will come out. That said, as one who works in an academic environment, I can make the case that a July or early August release would generate some interest just before school opens. Also, release before the term would give faculty a chance to formulate current recommendations for students,

Posts 157
Donn Arms | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 11:37 AM

3 28" 4K monitors, 1 32" smart TV to the side (football or pictures of the grandchildren), and an Amazon Echo. I'm going to use the "bass boat" line with my wife.

Posts 660
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 12:02 PM

Donn Arms:

3 28" 4K monitors, 1 32" smart TV to the side (football or pictures of the grandchildren), and an Amazon Echo. I'm going to use the "bass boat" line with my wife.

Wow! How many video/tuner cards and what are you driving all this with (specs)?

Posts 157
Donn Arms | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 5:47 AM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 video card

It is built to handle video game graphics.

Posts 4879
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 8:51 AM

Everett Headley:

Honestly, I wasn't excited when L7 came out, and niether am I about L8. 

It‘s a very ho hum non event. I don’t see the point of all this silly speculation about it. FL will do what they like when they like.

Posts 963
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 12:32 PM

doc:
I don’t see the point of all this silly speculation about it. FL will do what they like when they like.

Yes

And that is how it should be.......  

Posts 561
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 1:04 PM

Dale E Heath:

How many of you use 2 or more monitors? What size are they? It's something I'm thinking about.

Running three 27” Asus PB278Q monitors. Not sure I could ever go back to one screen again.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 2679
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 2:47 PM

The issue of easy v. powerful is a trade off that any company will have to deal with. I think that Logos has chosen powerful and done a decent job making easy possible, if you learn how to do it. I remember back in the day of verseion 3 (my first) I fell in love with Logos because I could type in my passage or topic and hit enter and joila -- there was a plethora of content ready to study. It was truly easy. The new home page complicated that. I kind of wish they'd go back to that earlier style of home page or make it more obvious that you can do that. I know you can still just type in a passage or topic and hit go, but it's not as clear as it was. As I remember it was a third of the home screen. May be wrong.

ON the topic of training … Every other major Bible software has free training from the company that can take you from total newb to expert. Only Logos charges for that more advanced level of training.

Posts 4589
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 5:43 PM

My desktop PC is two 27" monitors. I also have a 21" on my desk in church I use with my Macbook Air. I highly recommend at two monitors if you can do it.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 6:02 PM

I had four displays but one died. currently using two BenQ 24" displays, and a 46" Sony Bravia tv.

I only used the fourth display for watching TV any way, a thing I don't really do any more (besides weather which is necessary in Florida and watchable on the bravia).

Looking forward to 8!

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 165
Nick Highland | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 6:35 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
The issue of easy v. powerful is a trade off that any company will have to deal with.

I am inclined to disagree with this.  For years, users have given great suggestions for how to improve important functionalities for user-friendliness.  The most recent great example comes from the L8 Wishlist thread, which requested a search builder similar to Ebsco.  I really think that the most intimidating part of learning Logos isn't learning how to use the tools in the menus, but learning the search syntax.  This would go miles toward improving the ease of use without compromising power or features in any way.

That said - I'm committed to avoiding the negativity I often see in these forums.  While I see room for improvement, I also understand that there's a lot going on behind the scenes that I don't fully understand.  I'm willing to be patient, and any requests that I might have, I make humbly.  I don't expect that Logos should be tailor-made for me.

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 9:23 PM

Nick, thank you for taking the high road. I agree with you and although I don't post often - partly because of some negativity. Some folks don't understand the complexity of the software industry and the decisions to make improvements and usability to help the entry-level user as well as the high-end power users.

The Logos Team does a very good job of this and that is coming from 27 years in the software industry from development to operations.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 4879
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 23 2018 2:11 AM

As Kevin said it used to be much clearer when you opened up Logos.

The Libronix 3 home page was resizable, sections were customisable and could be turned off and the Bible Study Starter Section was a launch pad to the software making it clear to the new user where to start. The current home page is a marketing launch pad with a hodge podge of other material for a new user until the find out they can turn off the marketing and be left with a hodge podge of random stuff. The Bible Study Starter section has been culled and moved from being a central aspect of the home page to being almost an afterthought.

You could quickly open a passage, exegetical or word study guide, or choose to open a bible and commentary or bible only as well as assess you bible reading plan. 

Posts 3171
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 23 2018 3:29 AM

doc:
The Bible Study Starter section has been culled and moved from being a central aspect of the home page to being almost an afterthought.

The web app has tiles which allow the user to intuitively perform many common tasks.

Perhaps that’s a prelude to the desktop’s return of offering customizable tiles to perform some of those same tasks?

Posts 4879
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 3:13 PM

The web app tiles are better than the desktop which looks and feels like a Themed Costume Party where everyone comes dressed up as something totally unrelated to the party’s theme. The reason we use the software is to study the scriptures whether it be for personal devotion / growth or to prepare a sermon, study or paper, or to dig deeper into a passage or topic we are looking at for a bible study, class or seminar. Yet all those things are not what is central to the Desktop home page. Devotional readings are mixed in with marketing blurbs and snippets of random images and snippets from our library - seriously that is a disrespect to the personal time  with God the software should be encouraging us to particpate in instead of placing it along side an add for the last weeks special deal that has expired but still shows up on the home pahe till enough new ads come along to replace it.

So I hope you are right PETA.

PetahChristian:

doc:
The Bible Study Starter section has been culled and moved from being a central aspect of the home page to being almost an afterthought.

The web app has tiles which allow the user to intuitively perform many common tasks.

Perhaps that’s a prelude to the desktop’s return of offering customizable tiles to perform some of those same tasks?

Posts 1691
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 3:28 PM

So, you don't want to see an Assyrian man throttling an ostrich on your Home Page?

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Page 2 of 4 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS