Logos Staff: A Story to Give you something to think about

Page 2 of 11 (212 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป
This post has 211 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 776
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 7:17 AM

Hey!  Maybe Cortana's distant relative could help ... 

Wink

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 7:45 AM

Make this resource free:

Camp Logos 1 and 2 (Logos 7)

Posts 975
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 12:07 PM

Josh:

Make this resource free:

I was going to say that this is not feasible as MP would lose income to buy his daily crust. However, it could be cheaper for Logos to buy the product from MP and distribute for free than create their own version.

Cynthia in Florida:

Lee:

Thanks Cynthia, for voicing out some of my thoughts.

I struggle most with the search functions. It's just cryptic. The B company nailed it.

Lee:  You and me both!  It is very frustrating...and as you said, cryptic.  Of all my frustrations in learning Logos, this is at the top of the list.

Me too. I found the "Verbum Advanced Search Training" useful but it is the basics that need to be covered first. 

Posts 3189
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 12:34 PM

JohnB:
Me too. I found the "Verbum Advanced Search Training" useful but it is the basics that need to be covered first.

Search requires training because it is too complex. You have to learn and become a power user to search the way the developers expect you to search, rather than the experience being redesigned to be more natural, intuitive, and friendly, which would require far less training.

I've seen some "powerful, amazing" searches that the program can do, but I'd never have figured out how to accomplish anything close to that on my own. Honestly, search is intimidating, with its combination of operators and special characters and parameters, as well as nuances which aren't obvious.

Even taking something "simple" as doing an exact match, requires you to know a) that option is needed in the first place, and b) the method how to specify (or enable) that option.

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 1:08 PM

I put my two cents on Cynthia's original comments.  

Logos should be far, far more intuitive to use.  There are some things that beginners need to do, and these things need to be more intuitive.  The Library should be far simpler to manage and organize.  Basic searches should be more intuitive.  The reading experience should be better.

Logos is a great product.  I have used practically since its beginning - every day.  But Logos could be much better to use.  In some ways, less would be more.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 1:11 PM

Josh:

Make this resource free:

No, that is not the answer.  Beginners should be able to intuitively do basic things without taking a class, or the software has a design failure.  The problem is not the customers.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3189
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 1:38 PM

Michael Childs:
Beginners should be able to intuitively do basic things without taking a class, or the software has a design failure.

This.

Posts 556
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 1:45 PM

Michael Childs:

Logos should be far, far more intuitive to use.  There are some things that beginners need to do, and these things need to be more intuitive.  The Library should be far simpler to manage and organize.  Basic searches should be more intuitive.  The reading experience should be better.

Logos is a great product.  I have used practically since its beginning - every day.  But Logos could be much better to use.  In some ways, less would be more.

yes. I completely agree. 

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 2:45 PM

Jesse Blevins:

Michael Childs:

yes. I completely agree. 

YES!  I think that is what my second response was about.  There are basic functions an individual wants to be able to do when they purchase Bible software.  If they could have enough of a functional basic program to make them excited about what they just learned and anticipating the treasure around the corner, I think more lay people would use it.  (Which I think would be tons of cha-Ching for FaithlLife because that is currently an untapped market).  Until that happens, I have stopped recommending Logos to my students, which upsets me.  I want to recommend it, but I have some students who spent a good amount of money on Logos because of me, and then got so frustrated that they stopped using it, stating “google is easier.”  Google is easier, but if they saw some solid benefit, they would have stuck with it.  My students ask me all the time how I found information and to be honest with you, I tell them I use Logos but for the time being, refer them to another free program to get them started in electronic Bible software simply because I don’t want to feel bad that I recommended Logos and they ditched it after hundreds of dollars.  Even with the $100 Logos Fundamentals, I’m not recommending it until something changes to make it more user friendly.  

Also, thanks everyone for contributing to this plight.  These are really great recommendations in this thread.  I’m encouraged to see others express their views with such clarity and desire to make Logos a more user-friendly program for us all.  Thank you.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 3:12 PM

So this is along the lines...but since I didn’t purchase any of these products this way, I’m curious if any of these fit into what we are all talking about.

Wouldn’t it be better and less confusing to sell this as Rosie showed?  On an opening screen?  Then, allow people to purchase unlock codes for features. But let’s not forget that this is not so much about the packaging of the sets but what help is available in each set. 

Cynthia

Posts 3189
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 6:36 PM

Here's another search question asking why search didn't produce the expected results. One would naturally expect that if you searched for "Psalms of Solomon," one of the results would be the actual text itself.

After being shown the proper search string, the OP made the comment that {Milestone <Pseudepigrapha = Psalms of Solomon 1.1>} "is not a very easy way to find "Psalms of Solomon" in my library." After being directed to the "Finding the right datatype" information at the wiki, the OP replied, "Well, that looks like something I don't want to have to learn."  

I think we need to change our thinking that complexity like that is actually necessary to perform certain types of "Basic" searches.

Posts 1417
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 8:40 PM

Why do I have to pay so much money to get Adobe Photoshop and then find it so confusing.  It is so much easier to get Instagram app or some other for free and get the work quicker. Plus after paying so much to Adobe, I have To pay much more money to get the training to use it. O, by the way, I almost forgot to mention that it requires even powerful computer to run it. i find those free programs much easier to understand and user friendly. 

I hope you got my point 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 6310
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 8:58 PM

All the search “magic words” and “combinations“ you have to put together is too much work; not to mention all the key combinations you need to use to put together a special collection. The mystery is to know where to even go to find this information to get the search to work...And voila, you have to pay $100 bucks to get almost 3 hours worth of Verbum videos to learn how to do searches that most apply to Logos!

I’m thankful for MVPs and power users that give us the “codes” to work some of these, but I agree it should be less complex to find what we need. And it shouldn’t cost less than a $100 dollars (literally 1 cent short of $100; i.e. $99.99) to get access to this information.

DAL

Posts 1094
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 9:30 PM

PetahChristian:
Here's another search question asking why search didn't produce the expected results. One would naturally expect that if you searched for "Psalms of Solomon," one of the results would be the actual text itself.

Yeah I agree. Search is too difficult, and that thread is a good example of the problem.

I don't use very complicated searches, but usually I have to use a combination of Bible Browser and the Search box to find what I want. When Bible Browser first came out, I thought it would solve this problem, but it too has gotten too complicated, and often I can't get it to do what I need by itself.

It's ironic as there's an online training video that shows a much simpler form of Bible Browser with much fewer facets. That one I think I could use, but the actual one I have is too difficult to figure out.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 26248
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 21 2018 10:46 PM

I need to weigh in here before too much misleading information appears. Bible references, the basic function of the program,are much simpler. The access to the pseudepigrapha is more difficult partially because they are old resources, built back in the Logos on disks days. There are simpler ways of accessing what the OP requested as Bradley pointed out. However, because of an earlier exchange with the OP, I chose to show the general principle. In other words, I hoped to move the OP on the fast track to power user given the nature of his questions.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10107
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 3:37 AM

I thought Logos8 was the easy to use search engine, plus speed-uppers.

Rick's last-minute datasets were needed for the new easy-to-use search. I always wondered who in their wildest dreams needed those datasets, absent a good user interface,

At least, if my competition was now a fast-on-its-feet Floridian better-designed company, anyway.

OTOH, if the Now'ers (or the latest name) already have L8, this thread is interesting at least.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 4:52 AM

PetahChristian:

After being shown the proper search string, the OP made the comment that {Milestone <Pseudepigrapha = Psalms of Solomon 1.1>} "is not a very easy way to find "Psalms of Solomon" in my library." After being directed to the "Finding the right datatype" information at the wiki, the OP replied, "Well, that looks like something I don't want to have to learn."  

I think we need to change our thinking that complexity like that is actually necessary to perform certain types of "Basic" searches.

Wonderful example!!!! TO HAVE to find “the right datatype“ is a ridiculous expection on the part of the user.  Especially for those who have absolutely no idea what is a datatype, never mind having to KNOW that you need not only a datatype string, but the RIGHT datatype string AND the ability to know how to type out that datatype string.

Cynthia

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 4:58 AM

Denise:

I thought Logos8 was the easy to use search engine, plus speed-uppers.

Rick's last-minute datasets were needed for the new easy-to-use search. I always wondered who in their wildest dreams needed those datasets, absent a good user interface,

At least, if my competition was now a fast-on-its-feet Floridian better-designed company, anyway.

OTOH, if the Now'ers (or the latest name) already have L8, this thread is interesting at least.

Denise, can you explain for those of us who have no idea what you mean.  

A.  Is Logos8 out?  I’m a ”Nower” (again, money spent to make this program easier to figure out) and I didn’t see an upgrade.

B.  Who is Rick and what are you talking about with easy to use search datasets because of course, I would NEED that (not want...need).

C.  Competition in Florida?  Huh?

As always, wonderful trying to figure you out! LOL

Cynthia

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 6:06 AM

Cynthia in Florida:
A.  Is Logos8 out?  I’m a ”Nower” (again, money spent to make this program easier to figure out) and I didn’t see an upgrade.

According to history, Logos 8 is due in August!

Cynthia in Florida:
B.  Who is Rick and what are you talking about with easy to use search datasets because of course, I would NEED that (not want...need).

Rick Brannan (Faithlife) provides regular news on coming Dataset Updates. You might gather that datasets are not actually "easy to use" in searches!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 6310
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2018 8:54 AM

Even Software developers know deep inside that searches are not easy in Logos Bible Software! They’re in denial if they claim they are ๐Ÿคจ

They’re probably developed that way to create extra cash off of training for investors. I’m sure MP and Learn Logos must be giving FL a cut of their profits for showing others how to use Logos.  If that’s not the case then I’ll become a power user and then create my videos and sell them to the Spanish community to make money off of them ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘Œ

Page 2 of 11 (212 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS