Logos Staff: A Story to Give you something to think about

Page 5 of 11 (212 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
This post has 211 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 8978
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 6:52 PM

Graham Criddle:

Cynthia in Florida:
 But then I come back to it later and forget, because I don’t use it that often, so I have to start all over again.

I don't want to divert attention away from the discussion or to suggest this is a solution to it!

But I just wanted to flag that you can store a Search as a Favorite - simply drag the Search tab to a Favorites folder. That way they are accessible again within the software if you want to reuse them or use them as a basis for a similar search.

Add me to the list of people that didn't realize that. My problem is that, even after I learn something like that, I often forget. Tongue Tied This growing thread is surely striking a cord.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2472
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 8:09 PM

When even MVPs stumble, what more mere mortals like me?

Posts 26823
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 8:46 PM

I am curious how Logos Assistant and Bible Browser are being received as they are definitely efforts to make Logos more friendly at the entry level. Are they working? Do they show something about the direction Logos should move?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26823
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 8:49 PM

Lee:
When even MVPs stumble, what more mere mortals like me?

I suspect that the average MVP's CPU is old, slow, worn and needs an upgrade ... I know my brain is not as fast or reliable as it used to be ... and I'm getting a lot of memory access errors and the aural/visual inputs are less acute.  :-)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 981
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 11:07 PM

Bruce Dunning:
My problem is that, even after I learn something like that, I often forget. Tongue Tied This growing thread is surely striking a cord.

even if it is only  that we forget very easily!!

Posts 981
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 11:08 PM

MJ. Smith:
I know my brain is not as fast or reliable as it used to be ... and I'm getting a lot of memory access errors and the aural/visual inputs are less acute.  :-)

Lovely!!

Posts 3687
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 12:22 AM

MJ. Smith:
I am curious how Logos Assistant and Bible Browser are being received

I don't know what the "Logos Assistant" refers to.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 12:50 AM

Dave Hooton:

Cynthia in Florida:
Would that be same as me saying that when something requires a little more explaining, there should be a hotkey?"

No - assuming you mean that there should be a single keyboard key as a shortcut. Graham means there should be an option in the Search panel menu (when you click on the Search icon).

okay, got it.  Thanks For explaining. 

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 1:24 AM

This to me is an example of a problem.  Everyone keeps talking on here about how Bible Browser is a step in the right direction for Logos trying to make things easier.

I went over look at something referenced on this thread and came across this.  At the top of the screen it says, “Bible study has never been easier.”  Then, under training videos, look at what it says under Bible Browser.

You know what I say about that?  I’ll tell you what.  

There is nothing about that description that tells the average user who knows nothing about computer techie jargon what that can do FOR ME.  Instead, it again uses techie terms that assumes the user has a clue what is “rich data tagging.”  I know that sounds a bit nitpicking but coming back to my original point, even the very description of a tool that’s supposed to make things easier for me uses language that most end users have no clue what it means.  

Cynthia

Posts 21998
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 1:32 AM

Hi Cynthia

Cynthia in Florida:
I went over look at something referenced on this thread and came across this.  At the top of the screen it says, “Bible study has never been easier.”  Then, under training videos, look at what it says under Bible Browser.

Where are you looking when you see this?

I don't see it, and the information on the training page for the Bible Browser - https://www.logos.com/logos-pro/bible-browser - does seem to describe what it does, what it provides and some of its benefits.

Posts 26823
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 2:38 AM

Francis:
I don't know what the "Logos Assistant" refers to

Oops, Faithlife Assistant Embarrassed NEW Logos Now Feature: Faithlife Assistant  see https://wiki.logos.com/Faithlife_Assistant_Commands for a view of its capabilities. I suspect extensions are dependent on use and suggestions.

Posts 3687
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 4:15 AM

MJ. Smith:
Oops, Faithlife Assistant Embarrassed NEW Logos Now Feature: Faithlife Assistant  see https://wiki.logos.com/Faithlife_Assistant_Commands for a view of its capabilities. I suspect extensions are dependent on use and suggestions.

It is a step in the direction of the "tell me what you want to do" suggestion I had made. I looked at the examples under "search" however and at this point, it is very rudimentary and limited. It might help people who really have no clue how to "search for Sishak in the ESV" but, as it appears from the listed examples, does nothing for the more advanced needs that have been discussed here which is more like "search for "Sishak" in DSS within Milestone blahblahblah".

Hopefully the underlying technology will run against an exhaustive database of commands within the software and not depend on enabling each single one within the tool. 

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 4:39 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Cynthia

Cynthia in Florida:

Where are you looking when you see this?

I don't see it, and the information on the training page for the Bible Browser - https://www.logos.com/logos-pro/bible-browser - does seem to describe what it does, what it provides and some of its benefits.

Graham:  It’s here.  https://www.logos.com/features

It’s under ”New Top Features”

Cynthia

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 4:59 AM

Francis:

MJ. Smith:

It is a step in the direction of the "tell me what you want to do" suggestion I had made. I looked at the examples under "search" however and at this point, it is very rudimentary and limited. It might help people who really have no clue how to "search for Sishak in the ESV" but, as it appears from the listed examples, does nothing for the more advanced needs that have been discussed here which is more like "search for "Sishak" in DSS within Milestone blahblahblah".

Hopefully the underlying technology will run against an exhaustive database of commands within the software and not depend on enabling each single one within the tool. 

MJ:  That’s a fantastic question.  I agree with Francis that it’s a step in the right direction, but for the most part, it becomes useless rather quickly because it is so very basic, it’s almost too basic (Yes...can you believe I’m saying that?). However, for the first time ever user, it would help, but I don’t think it would entice them for more.  Those are results you could get from google.  (Edited to add this:  I know I’ve said that a couple of times, that a user can get a result from google, but the reason I say that is because if the potential purchaser of Logos can’t see something cool that entices them to say, “Okay, that’s worth purchasing the software to me,” then that doesn’t do them any good and it doesn’t do FL any good.  I’m not so ignorant as to think that FL doesn’t need to make money.  So, how can the new potential purchaser be enticed to purchase Logos and upgrades while FL makes money?  That’s the million dollar question that, I believe, requires some change and careful research on the part of FL.)

You know, I hope I’m not sounding ungrateful or nitpicky or ...I don’t even know the word.  I’m just hoping that change comes in a way that makes the software more intuitive. so that more people can actually use it.  

Cynthia

Posts 21998
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 5:41 AM

Cynthia in Florida:

Graham:  It’s here.  https://www.logos.com/features

It’s under ”New Top Features”

Thanks Cynthia.

Looking at it I think that would work for me - even if I was not familiar with the software, in that it would something of interest and the "Learn more" link gives a lot more information.

But that doesn't mean it would work for everyoneSmile

Posts 59
Bill | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 6:49 AM

MJ. Smith:

I am curious how Logos Assistant and Bible Browser are being received as they are definitely efforts to make Logos more friendly at the entry level. Are they working? Do they show something about the direction Logos should move?

I do see these as attempts to help, but they are not integrated together and all function differently,as add-ins if you will. Part of the problem with using any of these "tools" for me is they are scattered, or at least segregated from the search tool itself, out of sight out of mind. First you have to remember they exist, then find them, then remember or figure out which one to use.Then there is the additional learning curve for each tool. If they could all be blended together and function somewhat similarly inside the search menu I think would be helpful.

Also, the same problem exists with help/training. we have the help menu, the wiki, the Logos pro videos,etc. It would be tremendously helpful to blend these all together in one place(preferably within the program), with a fuzzy search feature to quickly find the help I want,which was already mentioned in this thread. Even including Morris Proctor's manuals and videos could be incorporated when purchased.

I also like the idea that is briefly mention here and expanded on in the logos 8 wishlist thread about a search builder tool.

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 7:18 AM

Francis:

MJ. Smith:

It is a step in the direction of the "tell me what you want to do" suggestion I had made. I looked at the examples under "search" however and at this point, it is very rudimentary and limited.

I played around with FA a good bit when it was first released and I agree it is underwhelming as an separate utility. If it were to replace the GO box, it would be an awesome terrific powerful upgrade. But advertising it as it is as an assistant begs comparison to things like Cortana, Alexa, Siri, Google, which it is not or was not at the last time I tried it.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 8:54 AM

Randy W. Sims:

Francis:

MJ. Smith:

It is a step in the direction of the "tell me what you want to do" suggestion I had made. I looked at the examples under "search" however and at this point, it is very rudimentary and limited.

I played around with FA a good bit when it was first released and I agree it is underwhelming as an separate utility. If it were to replace the GO box, it would be an awesome terrific powerful upgrade. But advertising it as it is as an assistant begs comparison to things like Cortana, Alexa, Siri, Google, which it is not or was not at the last time I tried it.

Randy:  excellent suggestion.  Again,  I have no idea what it would take to make things like this happen, but it’s a great idea.  

Cynthia

Posts 77
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 9:10 AM

Jonathan Ray:

1) LOGOS is slow. The indexing process makes my laptop's fans spin so hard I almost worry the machine might short circuit. It's borderline unusable for a slower machine. I try to onboard friends and family onto LOGOS all the time, and this is a major problem.

Yes 

Jonathan Ray:

2) The Hebrew font in the interlinear pane is simply unreadable. I have 20/20 vision but cannot decipher the vowel pointing and sometimes even the letters themselves. I look at this as a bug in the software and can't understand how this has not been resolved, especially because this has been a known issue for Mac users for years.

Yes

Amen and Amen!!! I have given up asking for the Hebrew font to be able to be increased for Mac users. It makes the Hebrew interlinear all but unusable for me. And the indexing uses up so much hard drive space that I get constant warnings that I'm out of hard drive space while it's indexing and my Mac will start closing programs I'm using.  Please fix these two issues that impact me almost daily.

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 9:16 AM

Bill:

MJ. Smith:

I do see these as attempts to help, but they are not integrated together and all function differently,as add-ins if you will. Part of the problem with using any of these "tools" for me is they are scattered, or at least segregated from the search tool itself, out of sight out of mind. First you have to remember they exist, then find them, then remember or figure out which one to use.Then there is the additional learning curve for each tool. If they could all be blended together and function somewhat similarly inside the search menu I think would be helpful.

Also, the same problem exists with help/training. we have the help menu, the wiki, the Logos pro videos,etc. It would be tremendously helpful to blend these all together in one place(preferably within the program), with a fuzzy search feature to quickly find the help I want,which was already mentioned in this thread. Even including Morris Proctor's manuals and videos could be incorporated when purchased.

I also like the idea that is briefly mention here and expanded on in the logos 8 wishlist thread about a search builder tool.

Bill, I completely agree, which makes the “tools” not really working for us.  I think that’s what I was meaning  when I referenced a hotkey, but apparently I was using the wrong term.  Let me give you an incredibly basic example of what I mean.  Keep in mind this example is not based off of knowledge the user should know, but it assumes they don’t know how to use the program.  

Let’s say I am reading my Bible and I want to open up other Bibles so I can compare the translations.  Rather than having to go find the text comparison, there should be an OBVIOUS button or key that is consistent across the entire program where I can click on that and say something like “I want to compare Bible text.”  The program can then launch the text comparison tool and bring it into my window.  There should then be a pop up or something like that that says, “choose your versions to compare and click enter” or something like that.  

Now, that’s on the more basic level.  When the user grows into the program, I’m not saying there has to be as much handholding, so there should be an option to turn off help.  There also can be a line in the pop up that says something like “to learn more of what this powerful tool can do, click here“ and it launches a video or a tutorial or something that explains how to use the tool, STEP BY STEP, on a more advanced level, without too much technical jargon.  The problem right now is that the tools are all over the place, help is all over the place, and neither are connected to the resources I would use them for.  I have to go HUNTING for them, and that is incredibly frustrating, especially when I forget how I did something and months later, I have to go hunt all over again.

I understand thsee suggestions may be a bit out there, and again, I have no clue what something like that would take to create, but a girl can dream, right?

Cynthia

Page 5 of 11 (212 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS