Passage Guide Help: What Makes An Illustration an Illustration?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 494
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 23 2018 9:41 PM

Recently purchased More Perfect Illustrations by Preaching Today.  Testing it in my Passage Guide, I'm noticing it does not show up in the Illustrations PG Section, but it does show up (thankfully!) in a custom Collections Section I created.

Resource Page: https://www.logos.com/product/16945/more-perfect-illustrations 

Are these books not tagged as "Illustrations"?  Other Illustration resources show up in this PG Section.  Otherwise, this resource seems to operate more like a Faithlife Ebook, not a Logos Resource.  This is one reason I am thankful to be able to create custom Collections, to cover these bases that the FL Tagging seems to miss.

Am I missing something here?

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 178
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 2:20 AM

Although I don't know the answer to your question, I must say that it looks like a really good resource. If only it were tagged correctly...

Posts 26532
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 2:50 AM

If this is a recent release, report it as a bug to Kyle. Not long ago, a book of sermons was released without being tagged as sermons. Talking to Kyle (via the forum) cleared up why the tagging had been missed and put the book back into the update stream for rapid correction.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1
Peter Drost | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 4:47 AM

I have the same problem with this source: https://www.logos.com/product/4467/10000-sermon-illustrations

It is showing up in the preaching guides on certain topics, but no in the passage guide, what I actually use most.

But Richard brought me to the idea that I can create a new collection part in the passaguide, where it will turn up. I can try that until this thing is fixed.

Posts 101
David Couch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 5:32 AM

I've found that some illustration resources show up under sermons. For example, 300 Illustrations for Preachers always shows there.

Posts 1000
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 4:56 PM

There are a couple of things going on. Hopefully I can get them answered all at once.

More Perfect Illustrations has not been updated to include Preaching Theme annotation. Preaching Theme annotation is what allows the resource to show up in the Sermon Starter Guide when you search for a preaching theme (e.g. adversity). I made a note of it and about 10 others that I have begun the process for being updated.

The Illustrations section in the Passage Guide is a different beast. Its lack of results due less to how books are tagged and more to its logic. It is a very old section (it goes all the way back to Libronix ... almost 10 years ago!) and predates modern tagging. It uses logic that made sense at the time but could probably be improved now. After some discussion on the matter today we feel its time to re-visit how this section generates results. Our goal is to better expose resources resources like 10,000 Sermon Illustrations which has enough data embedded in it to provide search results that I think people are expecting to see.

Posts 494
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 24 2018 5:32 PM

THANKS!! I appreciate this input Kyle!  I hadn’t thought of looking at Preaching Themes in Sermon Starters. I may have to revisit that tool/guide To see how I can benefit from it.

If I could ask a request as well. Not sure how feasible it would be if I could add tags/community tags of the sorts that would generate results in a n updated illustration section. There are times when I read a commentary or a monograph and come along a story or illustration that makes Me think - “that’s a great story if I were to ever preach on X or Y!” But it is lost to memory. If I could tag or highlight that snippet and it would generate results in a community illustration, illustration section, or personal illustration area that would be awesome. 

Not sure if there is a way to do that outside of a personal book, but just a thought while this is fresh. 

Grateful you are working to improve this and glad you guys are taking our thoughts seriously! Keep up the good work. 

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 494
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 25 2018 4:41 PM

Hello Kyle!  Not sure what list of 10 r so resources you all are looking at tagging, but I came across this in the Bookstore section of the Sermon Starter guide and thought it would benefit from ay type of Illustrations re-vamp you all may be considering.  

I do know there are numerous FL E-Book Illustration resources that would be welcome additions to any type of Logos sermon starter/guide support.

Personally, I try to mix up personal illustrations with object lessons and these resource-specific type of stories to keep preaching fresh.

Again, thanks for your efforts! Looking forward to what comes of this conversation.

https://www.logos.com/product/8586/preachers-essential-bible-study-library 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS