Search for all predicate adjectives in OT. The Anderson-Forbes text would be good. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 53
Rod Rogers | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 24 2018 7:04 PM

Well, here goes.

Posts 24935
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 24 2018 8:18 PM

Rod Rogers:
It seems I may not be smart enough to insert my print screen picture

Just paste your Morph Search from the Search box, and state what bible you used.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 53
Rod Rogers | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 24 2018 8:33 PM

Well,this is the best I could do. Hope it shows what I did.

Posts 53
Rod Rogers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 25 2018 12:53 AM

Well, here I go again. I just woke up about 3 AM. thinking about this. The syntactic search I ran was a good search, at least I believe it is; it just doesn't return every predicate adjective in the Old Testament. The only rule that can't be violated is that the predicate adjective can not be articular (be preceded by an article). That means that I have to not only search for ARTICLE-NOUN-ADJECTIVE but ADJECTIVE-ARTICLE-NOUN and search NOUN-ADJECTIVE/ADJECTIVE-NOUN and go through these last two constructions manually and see which are predicate adjectives by context. That's the only way I will determine how many predicate adjectives there are in the OT.

Sorry for the confusion, I just got excited when I got a syntactic search to produce viable results with a morphological database. Anyway, I think I have answered my own question and that answer lies in the fact that someone has had to already have gone through the Hebrew text and tagged these adjectives as predicate adjectives and search for that tag. Without that morphological tag I'm not sure how one could run a computer search and find the predicate adjectives that have an anarthrous noun.

Having said all that I'm excited to see all the possibilities the Hebrew predicate adjective holds. What a marvelous book!

Posts 24935
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 25 2018 2:10 AM

Rod Rogers:
Without that morphological tag I'm not sure how one could run a computer search and find the predicate adjectives that have an anarthrous noun.

It is not easy. For instance, your Morph Query somehow fails to show instances where the article is preceded by a conjunction. The Morph Search <LogosMorphHeb ~ A>  BEFORE 1 CHARS <LogosMorphHeb ~ N?????>  BEFORE 2 CHARS  <LogosMorphHeb ~ J????> shows conjunction-article-noun as well as article-noun.

Rod Rogers:
That means that I have to not only search for ARTICLE-NOUN-ADJECTIVE but ADJECTIVE-ARTICLE-NOUN and search NOUN-ADJECTIVE/ADJECTIVE-NOUN and go through these last two constructions manually and see which are predicate adjectives by context.

You can run  ADJECTIVE-ARTICLE-NOUN as <LogosMorphHeb ~ J????>  BEFORE 2 CHARS <LogosMorphHeb ~ A> BEFORE 1 CHARS   <LogosMorphHeb ~ N?????>,  but you have to eliminate articular adjectives.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 53
Rod Rogers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2018 5:09 AM

I'm going to look at this some more and see what I can do as far as finding all the predicate adjectives in one search. Thanks for your input Dave.

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS