How to find the Septuagint word for a hebrew word?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1
Rudy Bellani | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 27 2018 6:03 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to study God's command to have dominion over animals. The Hebrew word is radah (רדה) and I am trying to find the Septuagint equivalent so I can see where in the New Testament this occurs.

I can not, for the life of me, figure out how to do this in Logos 7. Any help??

Many thanks!

Rudy 

Posts 5115
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2018 9:58 PM

I am not sure if this is the best way but one approach is to use the bible word study tool and change your translation to Logos LXX (Septuagint with Logos Morphology).

From the translation ring I then looked through the options till I found the correct one. I am sure there is a better way that one of the power users an come up with but 

And within the resource itself.

Posts 2206
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2018 6:45 AM

Here is my MT/LXX layout searching on your Hebrew lemma. It has the essentials that Doc suggested but using multi-view I open the Logos LXX and include the Lexham Hebrew Bible and the ESV. Below that I have the lexicons which include the Lexham Analytical Hebrew and the Greek English Lexicon for the LXX. The latter I use multi-view with  BDAG. I also have "send hyperlinks here" selected so when I double click on a greek word it looks the word up in the Greek-English lexicon for the LXX tied to the BDAG. I use the BDAG to see NT use. You will need to run a search on each Greek lemma that is used in the NT to see all the NT use.

I ran the search inline on the Logos LXX and then selected the arrows to move to the next search.

I know this is a bit complicated, but once set up and saved you can use it over again.

Note that the Lexham Analytical Lexicon of the Hebrew Bible has a section showing the Greek Alignments.

Hope this helps. Post back with questions.

Or you can open the information window and click on a Greek hit in the LXX and then click on the lemma in the Information window and it should open a BWS showing all NT uses of that Lemma.

Posts 10246
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2018 10:09 AM

Rudy Bellani:

I can not, for the life of me, figure out how to do this in Logos 7. Any help??

If you’re not thrilled with digging into the software, required features, etc, another avenue is Logos’ analytical lexicons.

They offer several benefits:

>> They’re cheap. Important.

>> Logos includes the cross-language word (eg if hebrew, the greek translation(s) )

>> They work when a resource isn’t tagged. A right-click, and the analytical usually has the answer.

>> They list the various forms used all easy to see.

https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=lexham+analytical+lexicon&Resource+Type=Lexicons 

For completeness, also:

https://www.logos.com/product/1804/analytical-lexicon-of-the-syriac-new-testament 

Posts 1435
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2018 11:50 AM

This resource might be helpful

https://www.logos.com/product/2209/the-parallel-aligned-hebrew-aramaic-and-greek-texts-of-jewish-scripture 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2206
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2018 11:51 AM

Denise is correct. If you have the resource mentioned the process is less complex. Here is a screenshot using her method:

Open the Lexham Analytical Lexicon of the Hebrew Bible and search for your Hebrew lemma and scroll down to the Greek Alignments section; open an Information Window and click on one of the Greek lemmas translated from your Hebrew lemma in the LXX; then click on the lemma in the information window and open the BWS to see the verses.

Posts 2472
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2018 1:11 PM

For the sake of completeness, here is Mark showing how to do the OP's query, reversed:
https://community.logos.com/forums/t/165146.aspx

Posts 2
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2018 7:45 AM

My Logos Septuagint with Morphology is not showing me equivalent words from the Hebrew,,,,Can anyone help me with this issue?

Posts 2
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2018 7:54 AM

Here is the screen capture,,,notice the Translation bar is not showing the results or the wheel chart for the selected word MERCY in is septuagint greek word equivalent. Please any help.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS