CSB Corrections

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 22
Cheryl Sexton | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 30 2018 6:58 PM

My father-in-law works for Accordance, and he made me aware of many error corrections that the CSB has released for the past couple years. I have noticed that Logos has yet to implement them; Accordance has. Why is this? Does Logos plan to update the CSB to the correct version soon? There are some serious errors in the original...

Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 8:07 PM

What does your resource info say?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 22
Cheryl Sexton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 8:20 PM

Here is the "Support Info":

LLS:CSB
2018-06-01T14:53:19Z
CSB.logos4

My CSB module has been updated many, many times since Logos released it, but I have never seen the corrections given to me from my father-in-law implemented.

Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 8:40 PM

The newest version I can find is copyrighted in 2017, which is what we have in Logos. Do you have a link to an updated version? Do you have examples of changes?

Posts 22
Cheryl Sexton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 9:24 PM

The copyright has not changed, but there were corrections made to the body of the text—mostly typos or things accidentally added or left out (not enough to issue a fully copyrighted "second edition"). One example of a change is Isaiah 64:3 which has the relative article "who" that is not represented in the Hebrew, and it also makes the verse nonsensical (i.e., an incomplete sentence). The Accordance edition of the CSB has this verse, and many others, corrected as per the committee's instructions which were no doubt sent to all the major Bible software companies, which is why I’m wondering why Logos has not implemented them.

Posts 8056
LogosEmployee

Cheryl Sexton:
One example of a change is Isaiah 64:3 which has the relative article "who" that is not represented in the Hebrew

I've sent an inquiry to our Bible production department to find out if we have updated files.

FWIW, these two sites still have the old text (with “who”) so the corrections don't appear to have been distributed very widely yet: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+64%3A3&version=CSB https://biblehub.com/csb/isaiah/64.htm 

Posts 22
Cheryl Sexton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 9:42 PM

Thank you, Mr. Grainger.

By the way, please do not take this thread as a complaint; it’s not. I’m just curious as to the policy surrounding module updates, etc.

Posts 3665
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2018 2:20 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
FWIW, these two sites still have the old text (with “who”) so the corrections don't appear to have been distributed very widely yet: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+64%3A3&version=CSB https://biblehub.com/csb/isaiah/64.htm 

OTOH - this site seems to have made the correction: https://www.biblestudytools.com/csb/isaiah/64-3.html 

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2018 10:11 AM

Cheryl Sexton:
I’m just curious as to the policy surrounding module updates, etc.

Bradley speaks for FL (I don't) but this is the gist of update on Logos: If the update is an advancement or correction of some sort of tagging, FL does that on their own timetable. If the update is in the actual text of a resource, then FL does not make any changes until/unless the publisher makes those changes. Sometimes the updated resource is considered a "new" resource by the publisher (i.e. NIV11, a "second edition," etc.). In the later case, the resource would generally not be updated in Logos as it would require a new license by the user.

I am sure in this case the CSB is allowed to be updated and will likely receive a higher priority than most other resources. 

Posts 516
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2018 10:21 AM

I just wish in circumstance like these, Logos was first on board to correct instead of 2nd, 3rd, 4th ……… and that we were not the ones to tell them there are updated files, especially biblical text problems that have already been fixed by the publisher.

Posts 27770
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2018 11:10 AM

I don't know who to "blame." Certainly the publisher should be the one proactively contacting their major vendors. If they have done so, I agree. If not, I don't know how you can blame FL. 

Posts 639
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2018 1:27 PM

JT (alabama24):

Certainly the publisher should be the one proactively contacting their major vendors. 

That makes me wonder how many users does FL have, and how many does Accordance have?  Is FL the largest?  What is the order from largest to smallest of the Bible software companies?

Posts 2723
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2018 3:30 PM

That's a really hard thing to judge (size of user base) from the outside. Going on company size FL is a much bigger company than the other software makers, but they have a lot more than just Bible software. Proclaim, publishing, even own some property that they lease.

Accordance is a small company but very efficient. Wordsearch is a lot smaller than they once were. Olive Tree is also fairly small. Laridian is one of the smallest. But that's more in terms of employees than user base. However I'd bet that it relates. Plus this is just from my perception based on observing Bible software as a writer for about 20 years now. It's not hard fast numbers.

Posts 1852
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 8:58 AM

Floyd,

I checked out your link. It actually connects to the HCSB (see Ex 3:15 & 6:2 where the HCSB used "Yahweh" and the CSB uses "Lord")

When I compare my print HCSB to the Logos HCSB Isaiah 64:3 is does not have the "who". It appears that Logos is ACTUALLY using the most current text from Holman in both their CSB and HCSB.  It is the other software publishers that are using the OLDER HCSB in Isaiah 64:3 and people are confusing it for the newer CSB.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1852
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 9:02 AM

Cheryl Sexton:
the corrections given to me from my father-in-law

Cheryl, ask your father-in-law to check the title page. Is he referring to the HCSB (2012) or the CSB (2017)? this may explain the differences.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1010
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2018 9:15 AM

David Thomas:

Cheryl Sexton:

Cheryl, ask your father-in-law to check the title page. Is he referring to the HCSB (2012) or the CSB (2017)? this may explain the differences.

I've looked into this a bit and I think this may be the case. https://www.biblestudytools.com/csb/isaiah/64-3.html references the older HCSB not the CSB.

We've also contact the publisher to try to get the final word on it.

Posts 1010
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 10:09 AM

Good news. We got the change logs of changes made by the Publisher. Most of them are related to the notes but there are a few textual changes as well. Most of those are typo related. I even recognize some of them as ones we reported to the publisher through the use of your typo reports.

We'll be working on making these changes and will roll them out as soon as we can. It might take a little longer than normal because the textual changes will require an update to the RVIs as well.

Posts 639
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 10:33 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Good news. 

We'll be working on making these changes and will roll them out as soon as we can. 

Great!  Thanks Kyle for giving us an update.

Posts 22
Cheryl Sexton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2018 11:34 AM

David Thomas:

Cheryl Sexton:

They are official changes to the CSB made by the translation committee itself. I have seen and read the documents in their entirety with my own eyes. In fact, my father-in-law just sent me the most recent one from this month (dated August 2018). He is making the corrections in the CSB 2017 module even as I type this post.

Posts 956
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2018 2:44 AM

Cheryl Sexton:

My father-in-law works for Accordance, and he made me aware of many error corrections that the CSB has released for the past couple years. I have noticed that Logos has yet to implement them; Accordance has. Why is this? Does Logos plan to update the CSB to the correct version soon? There are some serious errors in the original...

Cheryl

You might want to check out an update that has just downloaded for me to see if that's what you were looking for.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS