Prichards Ancient Near Eastern Texts

Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 17 2010 4:31 AM

I just noticed that in the L4 digital edition of  Prichards ANET the index of Biblical texts is missing while it is INCLUDED in the same edition of the paper edition. anyone else?

Posts 29
Clay Brisbois | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 9:39 AM

ton verdam:

I just noticed that in the L4 digital edition of  Prichards ANET the index of Biblical texts is missing while it is INCLUDED in the same edition of the paper edition. anyone else?

I don't have the L4 edition of ANET, but I think in general Logos versions of books leave out the index of Biblical texts since you can search the book for a particular Bible reference.  That is to say, indexes are not needed in Logos books for English phrases, topics, or Biblical references because the whole resource is searchable for these things.

Posts 30200
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 6:52 PM

Clay Brisbois:
That is to say, indexes are not needed in Logos books for English phrases, topics, or Biblical references because the whole resource is searchable for these things.

I think you are right but I do miss my normal workflow that scans the index to see if it is worth searching the book.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 10:44 PM

usually it is. But NOT in this case. I see no hyperlinked references to bibletext troughout the text.

Posts 19057
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 11:01 PM

ton verdam:

usually it is. But NOT in this case. I see no hyperlinked references to bibletext troughout the text.

There are very few, but I found one on p. 553 (Gen. 37:28,36), another on p. 623 (Gen. 11:26), etc.

This is a book, however, where a replication of the print-based index would be useful, because the print-based index includes not only explicit references in the text but also Bible verses that the authors considered to be parallels to the Ancient Near Eastern Texts being translated.

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 11:09 PM

Yes, my case is: the index of biblical references is in the paper edition and should be in the digital one. That is why I bought it in the first place because of this index which makes it a typical LOGOS feature for searching the relationship OT and ANET.

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 11:30 PM

I received this email on my complaint. I know about the cited by tool but in this case it will not work. I find this unacceptable...

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting Logos Customer Support.  The Indexes are removed from our electronic resources and replaced with search tool that is very efficient in electronic form.  This tool is the ‘Cited By’ tool.  You may find this attached link for the tutorial video helpful in further explaining this tool.

http://www.logos.com/videos  - Look for the video title ‘Cited By Tool’

If you have additional questions or concerns, or feel this feature is not to your preference, I will be more than happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Logos Support Dept.

800-875-6467|360-527-1700

Posts 19057
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 18 2010 11:52 PM

ton verdam:

I received this email on my complaint. I know about the cited by tool but in this case it will not work. I find this unacceptable...

You need to write back to her and explain that the index on this resource is different from typical Scripture Reference Indexes and that they need to put it back in because it serves a purpose that the Cited By Tool cannot serve. And cite this thread.

Thanks for taking on this cause!

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 7:51 AM

This suggestion will be submitted for consideration. Thank you.

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 8:57 AM

Thank you all.!  This forum really DOES work.

Looking forward to the update.

Posts 29
Clay Brisbois | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 2:07 PM

ton verdam:

That is disappointing; it would be nice if each translation at least had a footnote with the corresponding Bible references.  I don't suppose you have the Context of Scripture?  It has bountiful scripture references, and I think you could create a link set between the two to scroll them both at the same time.  Not sure how the editors' choices match up with those of Pritchard, though.

Perhaps you can add a note to ANET with a link to the Amazon page with Look Inside capability: http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Eastern-Relating-Testament-Supplement/dp/0691035032/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274302903&sr=1-1

You can jump right to the Index and view the first several pages, or you can search for the Old Testament book name and it will give you the surrounding pages.

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2010 4:36 AM

Any news on the index of Prichards ANET? Is there an update yet? 

Posts 9
Joseph Whiting | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 23 2013 11:44 AM

Talk about buyers remorse. The facts that there are no Scripture indexes in ANET and the Logos 5 "Cite" feature is useless for this volume means that I have a reference book that I cannot reference. This was a horrible investment. I hope that there is some way to get my money back or credit system available. I hope all the reference works are not this un-usable in Logos, it kinda defeats the purpose. 

Do you have any suggestions? I've got a paper coming due. I need to use this resource. 

Posts 9
Joseph Whiting | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 23 2013 12:03 PM

Talk about buyers remorse. The facts that there are no Scripture indexes in ANET and the Logos 5 "Cite" feature is useless for this volume means that I have a reference book that I cannot reference. This was a horrible investment. I hope that there is some way to get my money back or credit system available. I hope all the reference works are not this un-usable in Logos, it kinda defeats the purpose. 

Do you have any suggestions? I've got a paper coming due. I need to use this resource. 

Posts 2776
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 23 2013 12:34 PM

Joe Whiting:
I hope that there is some way to get my money back

I do not own this resource so I will limit my comment to what I think that I can be helpful with. If you find this purchase to be a mistake, you can return it for a full refund if you purchased the resource within the 30 day limit. 

Amazon lists this book for rental for $47.08.

Before you return the Logos resource you may want to pose a more specific question as to what you are attempting to achieve. You may not be using the features correctly. 

Are you using Logos 4 or 5? It may be helpful to your cause to generate a separate post.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Posts 9
Joseph Whiting | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 23 2013 12:48 PM

Thank you for your reply.

1. I'm using Logos 5

2. I'm not sure how to make a separate post.

3. I need to access the Scripture index in order to see what/which extra-biblical literature parallels a passage that I am working on (extra-biblical contextual analysis). This seems impossible since the electronic ed has no index, nor any Scripture references within the body of the book.

Joseph

Posts 2776
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 23 2013 12:57 PM

I see. It appears that there have been known issues with the inadequacies of this resource going back to 2010 as it seems you are aware. Your area of study is beyond my ken. 

With that said I do not see that you can resolve your issues as the trouble seems to be with the resource. Call your favorite sale representative and return it for a full refund and get the paper version. 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 9
Joseph Whiting | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 23 2013 1:00 PM

That sounds like some good advice. Thank you. Now I know to check the forums before I by certain kinds of resources.

Posts 2776
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 23 2013 1:07 PM

BTW, should you have any trouble returning it, it may help to reference this thread. Welcome to the forums.

Posts 11319
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 23 2013 4:00 PM

Joe ... maybe I'm not understanding your issue correctly.

Below is a screen print.
  On the top-left is ANET and a series of Bible references.
  On the top-right, I have a power-lookup that's checking those references in ANET

On the btm-left I have NET turned to that specific reference
  On the btm-right, I have a CitedBy linked to ANET and following my NET Bible

Isn't that what you're expecting?  It seems to work pretty well.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Page 1 of 3 (48 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS