Journaling Addin

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 47
Sam McCloud | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 17 2010 10:22 AM

This is a feature that would be infinitely helpful for tracking personal progress toward reading completion goals, etc. If you're like me there are tons of books you have access to in Logos but it's difficult staying focused on one book or author. I will start reading one thing, get distracted and veer off in some other direction on some other topic in some other book, before I know it, I'll be sitting there a few days later back at the book I started with days beforehand thinking "this is that book I started reading days ago and until just now had forgotten all about...". This might sound like I have a problem with maintaining a focused approach to my studies but it can be difficult when you have over 1000 books and an amazing program that can search the whole lot of them for a topic or passage within seconds. I feel that having a solid, systematic grasp on various topics is necessary and useful for many reasons, but I also want to set and track reading goals for myself as well so I don't get totally lost in the sea of sundry selections. It would also be really great just to be able to track my thoughts and experiences by date and have it all backed up on a Logos server. This is a feature I for one would be willing to pay extra for if it was done well. 

My Library | Romans 8:1 - There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Posts 30220
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2010 12:22 PM

How would this differ from a note file with dates in the headings?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 47
Sam McCloud | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2010 1:26 PM

MJ. Smith:

How would this differ from a note file with dates in the headings?

This is one approach toward what I'm suggesting but after a while it might become difficult to track through all the note titles if they were not tied to a calendar, as you could more easily navigate years, months, and weeks from a calendar type filing system. What I'm really getting at is having a calendar based framework which note files could be attached to or generated from. Having a structured calendar to navigate would make it much easier to set reading goals and to track progress and accomplishments. It seems to me that there would be other features that could be combined with this potential feature as well, such as merging a Bible reading plan that you already have in Logos with a journal calendar (which could potentially display other diverse customizable personal reading and/or study plans that you are considering doing on the same days as your Bible reading plan(s), as you may have a certain amount of time set aside each day for each book that you are trying to read through or for each topic that you are studying; or maybe you just need help with figuring how much time to devote to each book or topic each day to accomplish your goals within a certain time frame). There just doesn't seem to be a very detailed system for categorizing note files (at least the ones that aren't linked to specific resources) other than just searching for specific note titles and even then you have to search the whole library as far as I know, or just scroll through the entire list of note titles.  Searching is a great option especially when it is as fast as it is in Logos but direct date navigation is also great as an option and can be especially helpful in visualizing future plans along with current progress and past accomplishments. Time management is crucial and having an integrated system for tracking not only my reading progress but the evolution or maturation of my thought processes and growth in understanding doctrines and theology which ultimately affect my walk with God is essential to me for the fastest possible and most effective results. 

My Library | Romans 8:1 - There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Posts 30220
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2010 1:30 PM

Yes, I see where you are heading.  Put the suggestion on http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4and see what support it gets. Mind you, until the missing features are complete the votes are skewed towards them so don't expect immediate support.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3896
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2010 2:14 PM

Sam,

I am a bit fuzzy on exactly what you want, but these are some thoughts--maybe they will be helpful?

• use favorites folders to store notes.  You can make file folders for year/month/day, etc.
  • also consider clippings as a way to reference specific passages in a book, and then you can make notes on them.  You can also tag them (topics, calendar month, whatever) for searching
  • clippings can also be stored in favorites folders.

fwiw.

Peace.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 47
Sam McCloud | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2010 3:48 PM

Dan DeVilder:

Sam,

I am a bit fuzzy on exactly what you want, but these are some thoughts--maybe they will be helpful?

• use favorites folders to store notes.  You can make file folders for year/month/day, etc.
  • also consider clippings as a way to reference specific passages in a book, and then you can make notes on them.  You can also tag them (topics, calendar month, whatever) for searching
  • clippings can also be stored in favorites folders.

OK these are all great features and I have used all but the clippings at this point, but I did just watch the video on the clippings feature and it's a cool and useful feature for sure. But to sum up what I am looking for Logos to implement, or I'm at least hoping they will make an implementation of it at some point is this: I want a Calendar/Journal... a central planning date-based framework with functionality that would be similar to opening the calendar in Outlook and having certain things tied in with it, not necessarily divided up into hourly increments but divided up into days at least with blank space for taking notes and the ability to link to other resources from these daily sections would be nice as well.(for example: Bible reading plans viewable from this same calendar, and not only that but if I want to make a reading plan or study plan for any book or topic I want to be able to do that)

Our lives are structured around our schedules, most everyone has very limited time and how we manage that time is an utterly crucial means to the end of effectiveness. What I study and read needs to be structured the same way to some degree too or my approach becomes too random and haphazard. I know there are things I can do to functionally save my ideas and record the dates on which I had those ideas and there are also ways I can manually file these notes in Logos currently but there is no way at this point that is calendar based (when I say manually I'm referring to the tedious creation of favorites folders for example, not a bad idea but not the easiest or most efficient potential possibility, were this journal idea to be implemented it would alleviate that necessity entirely), the only feature in Logos that is calendar based that I know of at this point is the Bible reading plan feature. There are journaling software programs that exist that to some degree function in the way I'm describing but I really would like to see this as an enhancement or add-in for Logos. I want all my work to be contained in one place: in the Logos software and on their servers, shareable on all my computers and backed up in the event of disaster. 

How great would it be to open up a calendar in Logos to a month ago and to the 15th for example and say "I read this in these books on this day and had these ideas which lead to this understanding being achieved, then with that achievement more achievements and growth came, and look at how my perspectives and views have improved in just the last month!!".. OK I know in reality it may be a little more negative at times, like "Wow, that's all I got done... hmmm, wow I need to work on this and that and then some this too". Journaling has a lot of good benefits, but most of all it helps you to see yourself in a mirror of sorts, to see how far you've come and how fast you are actually progressing and it helps you to see how far you need to go. Honest personal assessments can only come when the view is accurate and my memory is quite frankly terrible at times (especially when I'm tired, and that's usually when I end up getting to study and read). To think of having a fully functional journaling feature in Logos, tied to the existing features is exciting to me. It means my life would be even easier and I can accomplish so much more and those accomplishments with so much more efficiency and with even less frustration and wasted time.

Posts 30220
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2010 4:11 PM

SamMcCloud:
I want a Calendar/Journal... a central planning date-based framework with functionality that would be similar to opening the calendar in Outlook and having certain things tied in with it, not necessarily divided up into hourly increments but divided up into days at least with blank space for taking notes and the ability to link to other resources from these daily sections would be nice as well.(for example: Bible reading plans viewable from this same calendar, and not only that but if I want to make a reading plan or study plan for any book or topic I want to be able to do that)

The reason that I suggested that you enter this on user voice is that I have not heard many suggestions along this line - the closest is for a prayer journal. My own hunch is that there is only a small percentage of Logos users who would utilize such a feature. But percentage alone does not determine whether or not it is appropriate for Logos to provide. This may be a feature - like word processors, presentation modules and worship planning - which is best done by 3rd party software linked to Logos via shortcuts and favorites. Or it could be considered an element of work flow management which Logos should provide. I could easily argue either side of the issue.

Posts 47
Sam McCloud | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 17 2010 7:00 PM

MJ. Smith:
This may be a feature - like word processors, presentation modules and worship planning - which is best done by 3rd party software linked to Logos via shortcuts and favorites. Or it could be considered an element of work flow management which Logos should provide. I could easily argue either side of the issue.

I agree that some things may beyond what Logos can handle or what they can handle cost effectively for whatever reason. But it seems to me that they have most of the elements for what I'm asking already in place. Notes, clippings, and a calendar for the reading plan which can be exported to Outlook namely. All I'm asking really is to make a calendar that can be pulled up and used to make daily note entries, and maybe include the ability to add customizable reading plans for other books if possible. This would seemingly be fairly easy to accomplish for a company that has released software that can already do some pretty amazing things, but even if that were too much, a simple calendar interface with the notes feature tied in somehow would be really nice. My problem is that I get distracted a little too easily sometimes and I think this would help me plan and manage my progress a little more effectively. I had been considering journaling for some time as well and was checking out some third party software today when the idea hit me that since Logos already has similar technology that it might be worth suggesting they add some functionality to the Bible plan calendar so it could be even more useful, or just add another calendar with the note functionality. I don't know anything about programing but it seems to me that this would be a really cool feature to add and something that would not be incredibly expensive to achieve. I hope they conclude that it's cost effective and really worth implementing, but it seems to me that it would be useful to some degree by most people. Logos could always charge extra for it, it's something I would pay for if necessary. I would rather give Logos my money than a 3rd party if it came down to that anyway. Sometimes it's easier to see the value of certain features after first trying them out for a period of time and seeing their usefulness first hand, but even if it didn't prove to be something that's heavily utilized it would still be icing on the cake if it's not terribly costly to implement. 

Posts 79
Operation Evangelism | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 20 2010 2:20 AM

I have begun to use the notes feature as a journal and find that it is helpful to have within the software because it keeps it all right there and the references can all be automatically added with the click of a button and automatically hyperlinked.

To use the built-in notes, I've begun experimenting notes with a title in date format of 20100517 (for May 5, 2010). This will put the journal entry into a sorted list based on the year, then the month, then the date. Clicking the Sort button has helped to line them up as needed.

A nice time-saver that I discovered was the second to last button on the right of the notes entry area called "tag references as hyperlinks" and now when finished up typing in journal entries (you must have your cursor in the notes entry area), clicking this button automatically finds all the references and hyperlinks directly to them. What a timesaver!

Here are some questions I've been wondering about:

1. how to export the notes should I later decide to export - best solution so far is to do a report, but it does put everything into one long document.

2. Does anyone know if there are any limitations to using the Notes like having experience with having way too many notes open at one time? Right now I'm creating notes, references, and everything in one notes file and wondering if I ought to be thinking of splitting these up into multiple different note files. Anybody out there with a really high number of notes? Is there a maximum number? EDIT: Does Libronix eventually get slower if you have lots of notes?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS